SAU Community

01 200sx or 89 GTR you pick one

OYEAHA

insurance (just cars) is more for an s15 than for an r33gtr(insured for 40 grand) for the same driver... they said that heaps more people crash their s15s compared to gtrs=why insurance is more... i was surprised at that!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would go the 15.. i have one 4 the past year and ive had no problems with it watsoever, even if i did, it is still under new car warrenty (as are most AUS spec 15s)

before that i had an 1992 mr2 turbo and while its not exactly a 32GTR, i couldnt live with it as a daily driver, shit was breaking all da time and spend half its time in the garage...not to mention all da trouble getting parts etc...

in saying that, each car does have its pros and cons...

the biggest factor is do u want RWD drift or 4WD grip???

becoz they are pretty different cars....

insurance (just cars) is more for an s15 than for an r33gtr(insured for 40 grand) for the same driver... they said that heaps more people crash their s15s compared to gtrs=why insurance is more... i was surprised at that!

I do see lots of crashed S15s though. It's a shame. One was written off outside my apartment on Friday night. Guy drove off as well with a totally f'ed front end. Coolant probably leaked out everywhere.

not true. The 34 is the heaviest. Altho to be fare all 3 GTR's are very similar in weight and there isn't that huge a difference like between the GTS-T's.

I mean I could even possible swing an R33 GTR but they're just everywhere and I don't like the fact it's the heaviest of the GTRs....

- J.

If you plan on spending money consistantly once you have the car, then id go the GTR. Simply because if well sorted and maintained i would die for one. If yoy cringe at the thought oof forever spending money then id go the S15, which by trhe way is no comprmisse in the performance stakes...as i have seen some absolute ball tearers at tracks, still running std turbos and running 12s 1/4 mile and 1:11s Wakefield.

aaron32gtrside.jpg

aaron32gtrback.jpg

aaron32gtreng.jpg

:aroused: .... :aroused: ..... :aroused: ..... :aroused:

Also agree with earlier comments about the s15 gearbox. It is the worst part of the car. RWD in my case is a pro and I don't drift I just think that it is more fun. Mind you I haven't been in a high powered GTR :D Still that said I will probably get an EVO for my next car perhaps for something a bit different plus there doesn't seem to be any good affordable rwd cars anymore.

Couldn't you get an 89 GTR and rebuild the engine with forged internals for about the price of an s15?? Or are their more issues.

My S15 is a awesome fun but I drive around all day worrying when the gearbox is going to die. Really takes the shine off what could have been a brilliant car.

Still I would take an S15 anyday over a car that is 15 years old, GTR or not.

My 32GTR hasnt casued my any trouble yet...

i drive it daily..to work and to run about..

even if u drive it slow it's still fun..

oh..only bad thing is when ur on boost...it drinks fuel like water...

i recon R32 looks heaps better than the S15..

but i love the s15 shape too...SEXY...but not as Raw Hardcore looking as the GTR..:D

R 3 2 A N Y D A Y O F T H E W E E K

Take the GTR.

why?

1. it is the toughest thing out of japan ever.

2. you can buy an s15 but you'll still wish you had a GTR

3. you wont be driving around wishing you had an s15 when your in the GTR

4. S15's cabin space is too cramped. If your over 5'11 you'll find the roof/ceiling is so low it will rub against your hair which is very annoying. I did not have this problem in my S13 or any R32 i've driven.

5. S15's gearbox is poor but i think everyones blown it up out of proportion. Dont bring this in as a deciding factor unless your going to modify the hell out of the 200sx.

6. a $30k '89 model GTR will be in as new if not better condition than a locally delivered 200sx. For eg. 45,000kms with logbook history. Hence maintenance and 'age' is not a concerning factor. A $18k GTR will definately have big problems and be poorly maintained, but lets compare apples with apples.

ps. Caring about whether the car has a cd player or not is pointless.

Oh, and R32 GTR > S15 > R33 GTR

R 3 2   A N Y    D A Y    O F    T H E    W E E K

Take the GTR.

why?

1. it is the toughest thing out of japan ever.

2. you can buy an s15 but you'll still wish you had a GTR

3. you wont be driving around wishing you had an s15 when your in the GTR

4. S15's cabin space is too cramped. If your over 5'11 you'll find the roof/ceiling is so low it will rub against your hair which is very annoying. I did not have this problem in my S13 or any R32 i've driven.

5. S15's gearbox is poor but i think everyones blown it up out of proportion. Dont bring this in as a deciding factor unless your going to modify the hell out of the 200sx.

6. a $30k '89 model GTR will be in as new if not better condition than a locally delivered 200sx. For eg. 45,000kms with logbook history. Hence maintenance and 'age' is not a concerning factor. A $18k GTR will definately have big problems and be poorly maintained, but lets compare apples with apples.

ps. Caring about whether the car has a cd player or not is pointless.

Oh, and R32 GTR > S15 > R33 GTR

About point 4. I'm over 5'11 and I have no problem at all. Actually there is plenty of room. The spec-r which has a sunroof however is much lower and possibly maybe what your on about.

Point 5. The gearbox is that bad. It's not just the fault in fourth gear, it makes alot of noise and is just generally annoying. The fact that knowing that one day it will blow up and that it must be replaced with a five speed is annoying. Especially since it will probably significantly depreciate the car.

• 2 weeks later...