SAU Community

So I'm going to import an R32 GTR...

I assume an '89 would be the best model given the amount of money I want to splash on fixing it up. Is there much difference between the later years (technically I mean and not in terms of wear and tear)? I think it's only with V-Spec its got the different breaking system.

- J.

There were very few changes of any sort across the R32 GT-R's lifespan. Those that come to mind are:

* The V-spec and V-spec II models: Brembos, different wheels.

* A change from push to pull clutch (or is it the other way, I can never remember).

* Some people claim a change in the interior trim: I have never seen concrete proof of this.

I'm sure there were a few others: do a search as it has been discussed before.

So really, apart from the condition element, I don't see a particularly good reason to spend the additional money and hassle associated with a R32 GT-R under SEVS.

LW.

• 2 weeks later...

under the 15yr rule you can import cars with mods no probs and generally are worth it if you can find a nice example. There was this sweet R32 GTR with an almost brand new N1 engine fitted (yes the red one) for around $25,000... now that was a nice R32. I suggest you stay away from the dirt cheap examples with your budget, some look like they've had a hard life.

Getting one under SEVS isnt worth it in my opinion, you'll pay bucketload more for compliance for a car thats only a couple of years younger.

• 2 weeks later...

when importing the car through, say, prestige, will you get the contacts to cgl when you initiate the import process or do you have to contact them yourself?

If so, can anyone please give me cgl's contact details?

SPHYNX[x']when importing the car through, say, prestige, will you get the contacts to cgl when you initiate the import process or do you have to contact them yourself?

If so, can anyone please give me cgl's contact details?

Prestige will send you an email upon purchasing your vehicle which recommends a customs agent (which for NSW will be CGL). You are not required to use a customs agent, so Prestige won't organise this for you.

Anyway, CGL's details can be found in the white pages:

Control Global Logistics Pty Ltd

1419 Botany Rd Botany 2019

(02) 9316 5744

Mobile Service 0411 260 363

LW.

The import process differs from import agent to agent. J-spec for example use their own CA (you can use your own on request, but it tends to be better to use theirs as they have a good repor and know the CA reps pretty well), and once all the customs work is sorted out they give you a bill for it. 1 less headache I reckon.

Also there's a certain myth about ALL 89's can come into the country and be complied regardless of what mods they have. Bollocks. At the end of the day the Engineer who signs off the car as meeting emission standards still has a say in it. As the system gets more restrictive the engineers are gettin more careful on what they sign off. So for example a dual to single turbo conversion won't be signed off. It has to at least look standard. So a GTR with 2 2530's shouldn't be a problem, but one with 1 big turbo hanging off it... good luck.

Also one of the guys who does compliancing work for J-Spec is on the verge of getting SEV's approval to comply R32's. Which means he can comply stock late models. The amount of inflation you get from Canadian and Australians wanting 89 GTRs counter balances the added costs of buying a dead stock later model GTR. Keep in mind that 89 R32's had 4 factory recalls in the first year of production.

Oh there's also a rule change in the works in the early weeks of next year (I know this because J-Spec was contacted by DOTARs and adviced not to buy any more 1990s as they might face "difficulties getting import approvals in the near future". They're still waiting for this in writing so that its official, but still).

Oh and did you know that KIWI has halved their shipping shedule? Getting a ship to put your car on is about as hard as it gets right now. There's only one a month from most carriers and there's about... ummm 3 carriers. Only KIWI will insure your car during transit.

Then there's the dead zone between Dec 20th and January 5th, where all sipping agents etc seem to switch off and not give a hoot who's car is where. Avoid shipping during this time as you'll probably end up having your car sit on a port either in japan or australia.

So in summary... wait a while, and buy a nice stock late model R32, at least you wont have every agent in australia and canada trying to bid against you at auctions or on yahoo and doubling the cost of your car.

That is all :)

A lovely 1994 R32 GTR with 70,000 klm grade 4 B and only a different exhaust and a scratch on the auction report sold for 1,100,000 which is the same as a high klm trashed 89 so I think personaly it is better to bring under SEVS as you get a newer lower klm car that has to be worth more money.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
under the 15yr rule you can import cars with mods no probs and generally are worth it if you can find a nice example. There was this sweet R32 GTR with an almost brand new N1 engine fitted (yes the red one) for around $25,000... now that was a nice R32. I suggest you stay away from the dirt cheap examples with your budget, some look like they've had a hard life.

Getting one under SEVS isnt worth it in my opinion, you'll pay bucketload more for compliance for a car thats only a couple of years younger.

I am hearing conflicting information on the degree / amount of modifications that a 15 year old import can have. Whats the go ? Are there strict regulations saying that the car has to be returned to original condition (what about cefiro's....none of them are in original state and the compliance dudes probably have no idea what the original state looks like...) ??

Or does it depend on the state / regional transport ?

Or do I simply need a cool engineer ? What is the go ?

When I brought in my 12 months OverSeas personal '96 Leopard, it was modded to the max and it was no problem getting the plates.

XVLeo

emphasis on responsible engineer. I'll use one of our customer's car as an example... he got a GTR with a big single turbo conversion, the first engineer basically was OK with everything but the fact that the engine had a single turbo, they were never released as a RB26DET, nor was there any emissions data for it, and if the car got inspected randomly they'd catch him out. He has done many GTRs before and as long as they had 2 turbos then he was fine (even 2 GT2530's).

So we took the car to another engineer (after the first engineer charged us for the work and the customer getting frustrated and needless headaches for everyone involved), this engineer didn't care about all those mods, as far as he was concerned as long as the engine (not the tubo's) was an RB26DETT and the engine by itself had test data then he was fine.

The car is now complianced, roadworthied and registered.

So it all depends on who you talk to and how far they're willing to stick their neck out, and how good they are with interpreting their regulations :)

Funkymonkey, i see your point regarding buying a stock late model r32 under SEVS. It all makes so much more sense, I'm sure it would be easier to find a grade 4 one also seeing as its a newer car.

Also, would you suggest that the best time to initiate a purchase is like march for example?