SAU Community

how about str cam gears quote :

"TAKING THE CAM GEAR TO A NEW LEVEL…THESE NEW INNOVATIVE CAM GEARS ADHERE TO STRICT RMA STANDARDS, MEANING THEY ARE DESIGNED WITH A SPECIAL TOOL SO EACH TOOTH IS PRECISELY MATCHED TO THE OEM TIMING BELT. EACH GEAR MADE FROM BILLET, UTILIZES AIRCRAFT GRADE ¼” 12 POINT BOLTS WITH WASHERS TO ENSURE NO SLIPPAGE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. THE GEAR IS THEN ANODIZED WITH STR’S EXCLUSIVE BRONZE FLAVOR AND THEN FINISHED OFF BEARING THE MARK OF THE FAMOUS STR TRADEMARK. NOTHING EVEN COMES CLOSE TO THE TECHNOLOGY WE HAVE INVESTED IN THESE REMARKABLE CAM GEARS

We sell the STR cam gears too, they are very good, but we can get the Jap ones cheaper.

OFENSV, The HKS cam gears are made from a soft aluminum and the teeth do tend to wear.

I reckon you'd need to do a sh!t load of kms before they wear out. I tend to blow up motors or bend my cars before I wear out cam gears!

i got the tomei cam gears and cams for my gtr r33 and was extremely happy with them they look f....ng awesome and gained a shit load tuning them in (total tune gain 152hp with small changes also to inj and int mapping and a about 1 psi boost)(518hp at the wheels)

I reckon you'd need to do a sh!t load of kms before they wear out.  I tend to blow up motors or bend my cars before I wear out cam gears!

Gav, Ask Ant about the condition of some of the HKS cam gears that have come off engines he's rebuilding at the moment, not pretty:(

I'd prefer to go with a stronger material.

Gav, Ask Ant about the condition of some of the HKS cam gears that have come off engines he's rebuilding at the moment, not pretty:(

I'd prefer to go with a stronger material.

Was that with the timing belt cover on or off? Have you seen the condition of Greddy ones etc after an engine has travelled a fair few kms with cover off?

OS Giken gears can be had for $399 rrp the pair

alot cheaper than the others at $250+ each

EDIT:

while on the topic of gears... cover off VS cover on

whats the go with removing the cover, I know they look pretty, but whats the negative side affect? i'd say shit goin onto the timing belt... u';d have to watch your hands :rofl: etc

Was that with the timing belt cover on or off? Have you seen the condition of Greddy ones etc after an engine has travelled a fair few kms with cover off?

Timing belt covers on. There are serious wear marks on the HKS teeth:(

The Greddy one on mine showed little wear, but hadn't been on very long.

OS Giken gears can be had for $399 rrp the pair

alot cheaper than the others at $250+ each

EDIT:

while on the topic of gears... cover off VS cover on

whats the go with removing the cover, I know they look pretty, but whats the negative side affect? i'd say shit goin onto the timing belt... u';d have to watch your hands :rofl: etc

yeh my concern is the extra wear on the teeth from dirt etc etc. Plus its a hell of a hazard being exposed, It woul fail Australian Standards for machine guarding :(