SAU Community

Faulty Coils? Misfire At High Rpm? Read This.

Zahos

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Araldite only works for so long... just like the electrical tape....

I threw out my old coils yesterday, absolutely covered in Araldite.... still has missfires.

Go the Splitfire coils worked a treat on my car and only costed me $600 for the coils and fixed all of my problems!....tryed the tape and recoating the original ones and only worked for a little while.....araldite goes soft over 60 degreese and loses its shape and it gets dam hot near the coils!.....Splitfire all the way! car is so much stronger now!

Well I've done some limited stuffing around but couldn't be botehred with what seems like a temporary solution which is why I'm gonna pick up some SplitFires.

There's a group by in my sig, $640 which might not be as cheap as Nengun (only if you manage to dodge GST and customs), but that's a guaranteed price to my door. I don't mind paying $40 for the piece of mind.

Forums are great!!!

I've been stressing about this problem I have where at 5kRPM, I lose power and get backfires.

I think my problem is coils!!

I though it might have been fuel pump or fuel blockage. (i realise it could still be this)

What I want to know is does this cause any problems to your engine - like leaning out fuel would? Asumming that coils are the problem..

Forums are great!!!

I've been stressing about this problem I have where at 5kRPM, I lose power and get backfires.  

I think my problem is coils!!

I though it might have been fuel pump or fuel blockage.  (i realise it could still be this)

What I want to know is does this cause any problems to your engine - like leaning out fuel would?  Asumming that coils are the problem..

no, the only problem you may find is that your spark plugs are fouled due to the bad misfiring, although i drove around with the misfiring for maybe 200kms (reasonably softly most of the time) and the plugs were still ok afterwards.

so check plugs when u change the coils, other than that nothing really bad to worry about it wont blow up :P

no, the only problem you may find is that your spark plugs are fouled due to the bad misfiring, although i drove around with the misfiring for maybe 200kms (reasonably softly most of the time) and the plugs were still ok afterwards.

so check plugs when u change the coils, other than that nothing really bad to worry about it wont blow up :cheers:

RAD!!! Will check those sparkys...

Have recently taken the electric tape approach

Has had a huge improvement on the power in my car

no popping and missfiring at 4500rpm

is still however lacking power around 6000rpm, but it doesnt missfire, just lacks power

I did however find a neat way to fix the carbon rod which comes out the end of the coil pack

One of mine had totally fried out, along with heaps of corrosion on the spring

I had an old distributor cap off a Gemini lying around and sure enough the carbon rod was the same size

Bonza, old crappy coil turned brand new

saved me $80

Just recently Ive been experiencing some real bad missing on cold idle, also under load at low revs when cold, basically the more throttle the worse the miss and the less power it makes, it occasionally pops when I rev it out as well.

Now I just spent an hour or so pulling out my coil packs and taping the entire sides and stem up with electrical tape, most of them had scald marks and a few had hairline cracks so I put some araldite on those as well. Anyway started the car up and its exactly the same, no improvement at all :)

Im quite annoyed, I also replaced my O2 sensor due to average fuel economy with an EL one, hopefully that will at least improve (15-16/100km)

this is all in an eccs redtop r31

did you also read post #57?

this sounds more like what you are experiencing.

Could also be a cracked spark plug. Check or replace them if needed.

This is a good place to start.

Hey Zahos,

In regards to regapping the plugs,

Did you regap them to .8mm?

Chriso

Just thought I would update this thread with some more info....

Although my coils were covered in araldyte, they started playing up again on the weekend, so I pulled them out including spark plugs to see what was going on....

Well first of all, my tuner gapped my spark plugs like so:

1:0.6mm, 2:0.7mm, 3:0.7mm 4:0.75mm, 5:0.6mm, 6:0.6mm

not to mention a whole bunch of bolts missing all over the place, but anyhow, once they were re-gapped I turned to the coils.

Upon inspection the araldyte looked fine. No cracks, no chips.

So I took the rubber boots off, and the little springs inside the shaft and notice the shafts were a little corroded (that blue/green crap you get on your battery terminals). So I sprayed the shafts with WD40, and cleaned them out with steel wool. The car runs better than it ever has now, and is very smooth.

So also take this into consideration when looking at your coils.

Z

Yep replaced my sparkplugs and gapped them to around .8 my method of gapping probably wasn't the best however. I also sanded the end of the carbon rod which was fouled and burnt looking on all the coil packs.

Yep replaced my sparkplugs and gapped them to around .8 my method of gapping probably wasn't the best however. I also sanded the end of the carbon rod which was fouled and burnt looking on all the coil packs.

I'm no expert, but it doesn't sound like a good sign (I could be wrong)

I spent ages cleaning them with steel wool and it made little difference.

Took me 30 seconds to clean with WD40 and worked a treat!

I cant be sure that yours are facing the same issues without looking at them though.

I'm no expert, but it doesn't sound like a good sign (I could be wrong)

I spent ages cleaning them with steel wool and it made little difference.

Took me 30 seconds to clean with WD40 and worked a treat!

I cant be sure that yours are facing the same issues without looking at them though.

Ive bought a 2nd hand set of coils for $150 in better nick then mine, so when they arrive Ill pull out my old ones and properly covery them in several layers of araldite as I didn't cover all the scald marks in tape, and Ill try out the 2nd hand ones.

Hey great post, I have learned a lot. :uh-huh:

I have an R33 GTS-T Series 2 and from your posts noted the coils are different from series 1 to 2. Would anyone have the Spitfire part number to suit.

I’m yet to pull the coil packs out but I have been experiencing misfires at 4.5k RPM and above. Last night in Canberra it was 0 deg and the misfires were occurring from 4k up to redline. I have noted during the 30 deg days I get 1 only misfire at about 4.7k. Still sounds like the coil packs? Hmm.. will be sure to check the plugs and leads to. I figure if the silicone / glue fixes the problem I'll get new coils.

M@

ok just ran some injector cleaner through my car, only used 1/4 the tank so far and it got rid of 90% of my popping, must have been some bad fuel.

Anyway it still pops up high revs and loses power/hesitation so Im gonna replace the coils anyway

Just to follow up my progress:

Removed the plugs today and cleaned them with some WD-40. Also cleaned the spring contacts (from coil packs to spark plugs). This solved 100% of my misfires. :)

Just purchased a gaping tool and ready to gap em to 0.8mm.

Quick question: The performance shop recommends replacement plugs with 11mm gap standard. GSK Platinum stock code ....-11.

Once I replace the plugs should I re-gap the newies to 0.8mm? If so why (performance reasons maybe)?

Thanks

M@

Hey Matt,

Good to hear your problem has cleared up...

In re to spark plugs, don't waste your money on platinums...

If you dont mind changing them every 1 - 2 years then get a set of coppers as copper is a much better conductor. and at $3 - $4 each, better value.

Get some NGK BKR6E which are gapped at 0.8 already. Best to check them still though...

If you cant find any, BKR6E-11 gapped down to 0.8 are fine too....

If you cant find those, then BCPR6E and BCPR6E-11 will be fine also.

Gapping to 0.8 will ensure a more reliable spark.

So is anyone taking notice of the Qld maintenance day thread on installing Buick coil packs that won't be as heat affected and way cheaper? I've been thinking of that for a while but they are on to it already.