SAU Community

your car coming into Oz..

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically the bottom of the car was a bit rough, so it required some cosmetic touch ups. This was a precaution because the Engineers are clamping down on visible damage to vehicles etc. Theres one engineer here in WA that will not approve cars even with a dented bumper or with a decent sort of gouge down the side... basically just cosmetic blemishes. My chassis rails were all scraped and looked tardy from being too low... not smashed or anything, so it was decided by the compliance workshop to get this tidied up and to have the underbody repainted etc so that theres nothing they can pick me up on. Also I think my Cefiro is the first in WA to be complianced under the new rulings, so we were having some delays with Side Intrusions etc. Ended up sourcing something from ISOAO or whoever in QLD i believe.

JK

LW: spewin mate. Don't worry too much, at least it's in the country, just pray that bugger all happens to it at hobbs.....

JK: most likely your car had been picked up by a forklift at some point, hence the dented chassis rails. Not many older Jap imports I've checked out haven't been 'forklifted' at some point. The trouble with it is the damage from being forklifted precipitates rust... Hope it gets sorted ok.

Richard

mmmgtir: Not much they can do. There is nothing in it to steal, its dead stock (so no gauges, etc), and next to no fuel in it so they can't easily take it for a burn. Worst that could happen is that they dent it, but it was me who parked it (rather carefully too) where they wanted it, so fingers crossed.

jaik: youch. As I understand it too, if it gets rejected your up sh!t creek and have to rely on an appeals process where the burden of evidence/proof is on the vehicle owner. Best of luck mate; post back on the progress.

LW.

Its still a good chassis, as proven at our local drift track already. So I'd probably keep it as a track car. Got an R32 coming anyways so a daily driver is sorted.

JK

I am lucky in that my car was complied and engineered (with all the mods) within one week. For the record, compliancing involved affixing a new VIN number (just like under SEVS), ULP fuel filler neck, intrusion bars and anchorage points (heh, not that this car will ever need them).

When it is all up and running, it will be ready to get a blue slip and registration. Then I will start on the detailing and cosmetics.

I also think that my car was forked a bit as one of the downpipes has been flattened.

I also think that my car was forked a bit as one of the downpipes has been flattened.

The dirty forkers!

Mate, where abouts did you get it complied? any comments on price, service etc?

Thanks mate,

Richard

The dirty forkers!

Mate, where abouts did you get it complied? any comments on price, service etc?

Thanks mate,

Richard

I'm getting it done an Envy Imports in Brookvale. I can't comment on price or service because I am biased. :rant: They did the importing, compliancing and arranged the engineering, and will be taking care of most things to do with the car. I just paid the 3rd party costs (customs etc) and any parts that it needs.

Charlie.

You have a good eye :D

he he. They look very nice. Mate, when it's all sorted, I'd love to come for a ride and see what they're like. I've driven some stock GTRs and one with twin 2530s but I've never been in one with the highmount twins. Mine still has low mounts and according to info I have and the de-reg papers they 'could' be 2530s :D

How is collecting the bits you need going?

Richard

So annoyed - compliance plate didnt turn up at compliance place today so I will have to wait ANOTHER weekend for the car! Would've been nice to rock up to a wedding i have to attend this weekend in it.

Weekends are the worst - 2 days where you cant get anything done and you dont have work to distract you.

So annoyed - compliance plate didnt turn up at compliance place today so I will have to wait ANOTHER weekend for the car! Would've been nice to rock up to a wedding i have to attend this weekend in it.

Weekends are the worst - 2 days where you cant get anything done and you dont have work to distract you.

Damn! No one is having much luck this week. It's been a bad week for importing...

Just make sure it's ready for next thursday mate.

Richard

when i got my car engineered i thought everything was going to be done for me to go and get the blue slip

but they forgot a few things like new VIN plate, had to get the car weighed at a weigh station etc. all these things really start to piss you off

Sewid, remember that recurring theme of patience? :/ It will be worth the wait mate.

Richard, I haven't been in anything but my mate's boosted and untuned PFC'd R32 (we drove to the Gold Coast the day it was finished!), and I absolutely loved it. It was even more fun without the 4wd fuse ;) I can't wait to get mine on the road. But it will be a while until its sorted, hopefully before Christmas.

Charlie.

Well my compliance hasn't gone smoothly either. Rang the engineer on Thursday to check progress only to be told they couldn't finish the job as they didn't have the equipment required to modify the exhaust to fit the cat.

To cut a long story short, my car had no cat at all as it arrived from Japan, just a full 3" system from the down pipes to the rear muffler. To fit a cat requires some fairly major surgery to the system and they didn't have the equipment...fair enough.

On the upside, the engineer is happy for me to fit a 3" high flow cat, so I've organised to get one early next week from BATMBL (member of this forum) and the car is booked into MIDAS next Wednesday to do the work. The engineer is also very happy with the condition of the car and it should breeze through for the certificate. I'm also happy as I got to get a close look at the underside of my car while it was up on a hoist and everything is very straight, with no signs of rust or any rail or other body damage :/

SteveL: that's great news about the condition of the car.

Thanks...I'm really pleased with what I've got. Sure there are a few minor dents here and there, and the clutch needs replacing, but overall I've got little to complain about :/