SAU Community

your car coming into Oz..

I just drove my car home for the first time - well drove it to work but same thing.

For people in NSW doing new registrations on imports you will probably (99.99% definate) find that you will have to visit the pits (Botany, Penrith or Silverwater RTA have pits).

I got there and they said - sorry next pit appointment is in November. I was dissapointed and thought - here we go ANOTHER week without the car.

There is a rule though that states - if the pit appointment is more than 5 days away from the day you're trying to rego the car the RTA MUST give you an Interim Label. This means you can drive the car around until your pit appointment.

So on goes the interim label with some standard yellow plates and you can drive it :P

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sewid: great to here. Re the pits, how does that work with the whole blue-slip 21-day expiry thing? Is it only 21 days till you lodge an application to register?

Well, I picked up my car from Hobbs today. Its safely sitting at Grey Imports now :cheers:

Edit: I should also say that having finally met Nathan, he seems like an absolute top bloke. Thanks to Fatz and Blitz for the headsup.

LW.

so how does the pits thing work? is it like a defect station or what?

Cause I have alot of stuff I was planning to fit while it was being complianced and serviced so I didn't have to pay someone all over again. what do they check for, emissions and stuff?

I didn't think 89 model cars were under those sorts of rules

mark

sewid: great to here.  Re the pits, how does that work with the whole blue-slip 21-day expiry thing? Is it only 21 days till you lodge an application to register?

Well, I picked up my car from Hobbs today.  Its safely sitting at Grey Imports now :(

Edit: I should also say that having finally met Nathan, he seems like an absolute top bloke.  Thanks to Fatz and Blitz for the headsup.

LW.

I thought blue slips were for 30 days? maybe I'm getting old :D

The interim label lasts for 30 days, but the time between the booking and the actual pit inspection is normally well within 30 days. When you take the blue slip to register the vehicle and the only available pit inspection appointment is more than 5 days, then they grant you registeration for the car (pending pit inspection clearance). Once you get that, then your registration stands. If you don't pass, then the registration either gets cancelled or you have a certain period (7 days?) to have the car reinspected. This is all from memory, so please double check (and correct me if I am wrong). I will find out soon enough though when its time to take my car for rego. I can't wait to see the look on the pit inspectors face! :D:D:D

Pits are checking for rebirthed cars. They want to make sure your VIN numbers match the body. It's just red-tape and it automatically comes up in the RTA's system when it does a first registration for a used car.

so what steps are there if you go from compliance

compliance

RTA - registration, then you get told to go to the pits

RTA - pits inspection (they aren't looking for defects you say)

RTA - registration

I'm just trying to get this straight so as I go through next month I know how it all works

cheers

mark

What's the go with Customs Agent? I'm using Prestige Motorsport and they have recommended an agent in Victoria for me. My friend however is using Jspec and on his import approval form he has put Jspec as the agent. Does that mean he doesn't have to pay extra for a customs agent because Jspec does the customs paperwork for him as part of their $1000 fee? Or is their an extra fee ontop of that $1000 that is inlcluded as the total with the shipping?

Customs agent just takes care of clearing the car through customs, meeting quarrantine, totalling all the various taxes and duties payable for you, and basically signing all the basic paperwork to get it off the dock when it arrives.

You, or anybody can do that - but as you have to be present, most just use a broker to do this work for them for a few hundred and the time.

I assume in that case, that J-spec is doing that for you. Generally there will probably be an extra charge for doing that, unless J-spec is doing this for you as part of their fee. Why not ring them up and ask them?

What's the go with Customs Agent? I'm using Prestige Motorsport and they have recommended an agent in Victoria for me. My friend however is using Jspec and on his import approval form he has put Jspec as the agent. Does that mean he doesn't have to pay extra for a customs agent because Jspec does the customs paperwork for him as part of their $1000 fee? Or is their an extra fee ontop of that $1000 that is inlcluded as the total with the shipping?

As predator said, ring J-spec and ask them.

I used the Prestige recommended CA (Frank Madden P/L) and it was all pretty painless. Cost me $250+GST for their service, which includes the customs attendance fee. Considering the total fees for my car were $5100, the CA fee was a drop in the bucket and it all went very smoothly. I'd have no hesitation in using them again.

Thanks, I'm speaking to my friend now. For Part 2 - Agent, I'm assuming this is the part for putting in your custom agent details, he filled in Jspec details and they checked his Import Approval form and said it was all correct so I guess Jspec will be handling the customs work for him.

Who here has used Jspec and can clarify this for me?

Just on the pits inspection - I had to do one for my 33, but my brother didn't have to for his 32. I was told at Penrith RTA that they schedule every SEVS import for checking, but usually let the 15 year ones go.

Also, it's supposed to be for just VIN / engine matching but I seem to remember some old posts about people who got defected at the same time - however I haven't heard of this happening recently.

Back in the day, going over the pits involved a thorough inspection of the car: infact the term refers to the fact that there is a pit which you drive over that enables an inspection of the underbody by RTA workers.

Funny that they don't check the older cars as I would have thought they were more likely to not be roadworthy! :P

LW.

It's not a roadworthy check - that's why. They want to make sure it's not a rebirth. The idea behind it is that cars over 10 years old are unlikely to be rebirths as there would be no money in doing so. Newer cars on the other hand....

That isnt the most sound logic ever but this is a government department we're dealing with so we must live with it - regardless of how many holes you can drive a semi-trailer thru it has.

Cars under 10 years old automatically require pits inspection.

For those guys out there (like me!) who are a bit behind Lucien, mmmgtir, nxtime and sewid:

I've been chasing up the degassing requirement with the DEH - still looking for evidence that Lucien's $150 air-conditioning fee is appropriate for private one-off imports. So far, the DEH hasn't answered the question - I'm waiting on a response. Anyway, for those interested in how to access the waiver, I have received this (excerpt) from the DEH today:

if the vehicle is a one-off import for your personal use and that it is not for trade or commerce, you will not require a licence under the Department of the Environment and Heritage's Ozone Protection and Synthetic Greenhouse Management Act 1989. Please note, you will only be permitted to import one vehicle in any licensing period.

You will need to provide to your Shipping Agent/Freight Forwarder or Customs Broker:-

§ A copy of your identification/information page of your passport as well as a copy of the visa that entitles you for entry to

Australia; edit: I think this is only for private imports (the 12month type), and D/L is only ID required, DEH is going to let me know

§ A statement saying that the vehicle is a one-off import that is for personal use and is not for trade or commerce and that the

you the importer will not be bringing in any other vehicles.

I know the exemption is common knowledge, but in my ignorance of the correct procedure, I submitted a letter requesting exemption with my IA this week. For you other guys out there who are waiting to submit IA's don't bother with the letter now.

The $150 fee could be part of this clearance:

Your shipping agent/freight forwarder/customs broker will need to provide this information to the Australian Customs Service who will contact our office for verification and clearance.

We'll see! :nowigetit

Mark

yeah, this is basically the procedure I went through, and what the customs agent told me a few weeks ago. I drafted the letter, and send it to the customs agent, who were then going to forward it onto the DEH to get exemption. Haven't heard anything back regarding this, but will see at the time of picking up the car whether it has saved me any money or not.

May as well post it here, I think this all you really need:

To Whom it may concern,

I, xxx , certify that the vehicle I am importing, chassis number: HCR32-xxxx is purely for private use, and is a one off personal import.

Therefore I wish to apply for an exemption to the air conditioning re-gassing requirements if available