SAU Community

Lancer modding about to begin....

Craved

what are the issues with rear mounted engines? my mate has an mr2 and the only he has come across is that you got no time to react when the back end starts to slip...coz by the time u realise its already gone and youve done a 360...

but get some decent tyres n ull be fine!

3sgte might be a lil easier actually...i said sr20 coz that what u said u wanted...

can you go back to the oldschool chrysler (sp?) lancer that were rwd and flog some of their bits?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The easiest way to achieve your RWD Lancer would be to grab a chassis from a late model jap 1 tonner (you will need to match wheelbase or alter to fit) and adapt the Lancer bodyshell to bolt to the chassis.

Bingo (after a few hundred hours work) RWD Lancer, get it engineered as a modified RodeoHiluxBseriesTriton with the engine of your choice.

i didn't see those other replies....

Fro- the reason i said that the rear mount would be a problem is that the gearbox needs linkages running from the shift to the box - this would be a huge hurdle for us to jump and dont wanna have to work out extra stuff like this if we dont need to.. plus the handling characteristiccs of the rear mount dont suit my driving style (my mate has a SW20GT)

the 3SGTE would be the easiest as i would only need to extend the linkages to the centre of the car (longer wheel base)

enilyks33r - nice suggestion! didn't think of anything like that, however i dont really have any inclination to get her registered and go through all that hassle - never mind the huge cost for that to happen if not everything goes through first time!

croat - hmm i'll be doing both!

Hi Chris

(steve that used to be in narrowband)

My mate up here on the coast has a cyborg lancer which is 4wd (origanally 1.8 turbo)and the rear suspention fits lancers they made them up to90 something so it could possibly do for your project. we put a vr4 motor in it and it does 13 secs now . sss had bits for it so they may have a back axle. it still has the tank under the floor. so there must be a way of getting past it with a tailshaft.

one thing I noticed as the half cut was being dismantled was that the lancer has very little front chassis but the galant vr4 has a wacking grreat subframe that everything fits on.even though they use similar engines. you may have to use later evo stuff (expensive ) cos they turned the engine 180 after the evo 3 and the cams are on the drivers side

ps are yiu stil a TTubby?

I've seen a lancer using the stock engine, its got a garrett turbo (not to sure what size), autronic ecu and the rest of the gear runnig 20psi and it did a 13.4 on the crapest track in nrth qld.

no too bad for front wheel drive...

you forgot to add the stock wrx cooler and the thing revs to 8-9000.

Hi Chris

(steve that used to be in narrowband)

My mate up here on the coast has a cyborg lancer which is 4wd  (origanally 1.8 turbo)and the rear suspention fits lancers they made them up to90 something so it could possibly do for your project. we put a vr4 motor in it and it does 13 secs now . sss had bits for it so they may have a back axle. it still has the tank under the floor. so there must be a way of getting past it with a tailshaft.

one thing I noticed as the half cut was being dismantled was that the lancer has very little front chassis but the galant vr4 has a wacking grreat subframe that everything fits on.even though they use similar engines. you may have to use later evo stuff (expensive ) cos they turned the engine 180 after the evo 3 and the cams are on the drivers side

ps are yiu stil a TTubby?

hey hey Steve! hows the Gtst going? yeah still here at TT!!!

yeah the front sub frame is quite large on these, however the drivers side is very bent at this point! the whole lower sub frame arm and apron is coming off ... so basically everything from the firewall forward is getting cut off, and started again!

have some good plans and photos i'll be using for inspiration from the super sedan race cars from eastern creek today, some very cool designs used for front suspension setups! will post some examples once i get them off the camera!

doesn't really bother me too much how i do the rear axle, if i go independant rear then it means a fair bit more work than just running a live axle which from what ive seen so far is cheaper, easier and do have enough tunability to encourage good handling (v8supercars still use em :D )

Steve - was that SSS near Seven Hills??

Hi Chris

sss is just off the great western hihway (turn left into toongabbie rd and right at next roundabout) 120 gilba rd girraween ( nr eastern creek)

suppose the cheapest and strongest is the hilux diff/axle you can get all the different ratio's.

see we both chose a ford coulor mines acid rush (page 87 this months hot 4's ( know its not a four) looks like a lot of work your up for. must have good shifts.

see you at the next sau thing :cheers:

Hi Chris

sss is just off the great western hihway (turn left into toongabbie rd and right at next roundabout) 120 gilba rd girraween ( nr eastern creek)

suppose the cheapest and strongest is the hilux diff/axle you can get all the different ratio's.

see we both chose a ford coulor mines acid rush (page 87 this months hot 4's ( know its not a four) looks like a lot of work your up for. must have good shifts.

see you at the next sau thing :)

LOL good shifts -- im on graveyard still dude!!! soon to change :cheers:

yeah thats the SSS i was thinking of... got a contact there so i'll check out what they have!

yeah it's heaps of work but definately somehting im going to learn from so it will be worth it down the line, looking at starting some customising in all areas, in the process of buying a boat and doing that over and re-selling ... good work, and fun... if only you could make money from it all!

i'll check out that hot4's mag, is it your line that is that colour or the cyborg?

yeah for sure, keep in contact and we'll catch up out there somewhere!