SAU Community

What Happened Leewah

krzysiu

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh if it was a nitrous backfire, and as it was pointed out that it was a nos problem, then there's every chance there would be some sort of damage and a fair amount at that.

Some might be visable to the eye and some will be internal type damage.

Sorry to hear.

the world also has another donut shaped radiator now... from memory he wanted to go again, but the hole in the radiator stopped him right?

RedR32... your car rocked ass... *drools over the signal R32* ... oh and yes, I'll get around to changing your nick to PurpleR32 in a sec.

That my freinds sounds like a nitrous backfire.

Does leewah's car run nitrous oxide at all.??

Yes, DeSiReD is correct. My car does run NOS in shows and when drag racing.

the piping from the cooler to the manifold blow off and bent the pipe and some one said it shattered his radiator as well

This is mostly correct. It didn't shatter the radiator, it put a small hole in it when the piping shot off the plenum.

if it was "only intercooler hosing blowing off and cracking the aluminium pipiing.. then WTF was the flash of spark? and then oil .. me things number 5 rod and piston thru block.

Hmmm, bit technical and imaginative but incorrect.

sound like its pretty much the same as what happened to him at heathcote...

Unfortunately Nark, it was nothing like what happened at Heathcote. This one happened coz the piping travelled at a great speed into it....The Heathcote radiator blew due to too excessive pressure.

I bet the nos has backfired.

If you watch the video you can hear they slow it up and then give it the boot and if the nos was engaged when they did that then it would have filled the plenum and cylinders with gas.

Nitrous is a very funny thing and if you stuff up with it it can go very bad very quickly.

Give this man a trophy. Correct. The NOS backfired due to a stuck switch engaging the NOS when it shouldn't have. Ie. Too early.

The oil leaking probly comes down to metal maybe piercing the engine oil cooler or maybe if he has a remote oil filter that may have been pierced.

Actually....take that trophy back. No oil cooler to pierce nor a remote oil filter :P

Oh and also did it crack his front bar or anything? because i realised it started swaying :D

No it didn't touch the front bar. Total falacy.

its that the GTR from ICE Performance?

Yes it is. RacePace Motorsport also had a lot to do with the inital development of the car.

Found this in another thread before MAS

Quote:

Leewah[/b]]

Originally Posted by Leewah

I'm not gonna break the car for a trophy.  

But you broke the car and didnt get a trophy

Obviously you didn't stay for the trophie ceremony where I won "Tough As Nails" for the 3rd time running. That's OK though, not many people do ;)

Man, am I buggered. I have slept a total of 9 hours since Friday night, so I'm stuffed and short in paitence. I'm wearing total black today to mourn the dispair of not taking back the 4WD record at MAS.

Anway, you guys wanted an account of what happened, here goes....

On Friday night the car was prepped and ready. We made final adjustments and dynoed the car at Ice Performance making a comfortable 591rwkw with gas. This was better than the 556rwkw we made back in April.

The car sat happily on the FangArtists stand all weekend without a problem and without any bits being stolen which was a good thing.

When the car got on the dyno, nothing was changed and the car began ramping up. When the NOS switch was turned on, a huge bang occured with a rather large flame coming out the top. I was standing pretty close to the front of the car but unfortunately I wasn't facing the engine bay at the time. Anyway, the huge flame and bang made everyone duck for cover as if we were under attack but as soon as I heard it, I suspected the NOS has done something very very naughty.

My suspicion was true. The NOS switch had locked itself into the armed position which cause the NOS to be fired into the piping leading to the plenum too early causing a backfire. The pressure from the explosion caused the cooler piping to essentially spilt and come off the silicon connectors. The piping came off with such force that it swung forwards and hit the radiator, rupturing it and leaving a small hole. There was no oil leaking from the car either.

The car was driven off the dyno, back onto the tow truck at the end of the night and into the factory.

A check of the engine has come up with nothing. Because the explosion happened in the piping and then blew off the plenum, the engine was saved and is still in perfectly good working order.

The only parts that need to be replaced after this thing is the cooler piping and a radiator. It could have been much worse but thankfully the safety measures were in place and did their job to a tea.

Working for Cabin over the weekend was another great experience. James, Ash, myself and a couple other people over the weekend lent a hand to Cabin and helped move over 120 cars on and off the dynos to and from their displays. Cars like the widebody Accord were absolute hell. With rims the size of manhole covers, the width and turing circle of a 747, it was no easy task moving it to the dyno to find that it was too low. Going back was even worse as the driver couldn't reverse park very well. I think working for Cabin allowed us to move cars more efficiently and flowing nicely. We hope you all enjoyed the show as I can assure you all that we worked like absolute dogs. It was defiantely the hardest I've worked in a long time.

Thanks to the FAs for putting up another great stand. Although the position wasn't as good as last time round, we did the best with what we had. We still walked away with 6 trophies and a nominee for King of AutoSalon with the Ice Supra. Great work Nige.

My thanks go to Damian, Andrew, Charles, Gareth and all the other Cabin staff who made Melbourne AutoSalon Semi-final another great show.

Thanks for Sam and Nick from XTC for operating the dyno all weekend and getting through the 120+ cars we ended up completing. Also a massive thanks to Sam and Nick for understanding our needs in having our own dyno operator. Without your understanding and efforts the 2 most powerful cars and my POS wouldn't have made the dyno.

A check of the engine has come up with nothing.  Because the explosion happened in the piping and then blew off the plenum, the engine was saved and is still in perfectly good working order.

Good to hear, hope its back up and running soon :D