SAU Community

intercooler Anyone got an apexi like this one fitted?

AFRO

hey everyone,,

i've seen an apexi intercooler for sale,, its meant to be for a r33 gtst,, and i don't know if it'll fit an r34 gtt,, either way,, it designed so that the piping runs behind the cooler as apposed to say the blitz one that has the piping running under the cooler.

anyways,, i have done a sketch of what the cooler looks like,,, and was wondering if anyone here has this sort of setup,, i.e,, the piping running behind the cooler.

from what i can see, it'll mean that the cooler will be way in front of the radiator and may have to be slanted to allow the piping to fit.

if any of you do have a setup like the one i mentioned,, can you please post up some pics,,

anyone see any "performance/cooling" disadvantages of running the piping beind the cooler rather than underneath???

thanks for all you help ,,

Afro

The HKS one is like that.

Works fine for me.

You might want to have the pipe that goes along the back made a bit smaller in diameter so that you dont' have to remove so much of your front bar.

I've got pics here of my install.......

the apexi one is a little diff to that,, the pipe will end up coming right across the air-con fan (will go at an angle from top to bottom),, urs goes just under the fan right? ,,

hey how much did u end up spending on ur cooler?

i've seen only the cooler for sale,, but will have do buy/make up my own piping,,,

can u also give me the dimensions of ur hks cooler please...

did u have to cut/modify ur front bar support to fit the cooler??

thanks heaps dude,,

Afro

Afro.

The APEXI kit is no longer in production. I tried for a long time to get one for the R34 but to no avail.

The radiator suppot does get ground a little, and I had to get the front bar cut a bit.

The HKS kit is 600 (800 overall) x 400 x 63 or 70.

I didn't fit it myself so I'm not sure on the ins and outs but I'm happy with it.

Like I said though, if you are making up the pieps yourself, then make the pipe that goes behind smaller than 3" (the HKS is 3") so that the cooler cna sit back much further which would mean less cutting of the front bar.

If anyone ever hits my front bar and I need a new one (touch wood that it doesn't happen) I will make up a new pipe.

BASS OUT

i was thinking of using 2.5" piping all around,, coz doesn't the engine bay use all 2.5" piping up till the intake manifold? The apexi cooler has 2.5" outlets i think.

or should i use 3" piping from the cooler up till the engine bay?

Do a search on Sydneykid posts about Intercoolers.

Basically, the small the diameter the less lag.

I would say no larger than the smallest bottle neck, as there's no point in having 4 inch piping, if the air has to go through a 2 inch pipe as some stage.

Guest RedLineGTR

havent seen a HKS kit like that..well maybe not for a r33 at least dunno, did you get it locally? only ones that have the return pipes on the same side have been Blitz ones and arc ones!!

I think most of the R33 ones go through the engine bay, but the R34's all go through the standard pipes.

I think it's mainly to do with the standard Traction control throttle body that means it would be very hard to hand them go accross the top of the engine because of the sharp bend required at the end near the throttle body.

But I may be wrong. It's happened before you know.

RedLineGTR: The HKS cooler that Bass has is the normal spec S (?) kit for the R34, I have previously had the cooler kit fitted on the R34 and like Bass mentioned a bit of cutting is involved in installing the cooler. Oh the kit was purchased locally, if I recall correctly. :rofl:

AFRO: I've seen the apexi cooler you mentioned tho not on a car, pretty sure you will have some problem with the left hand rear out section as you will block part of the air flow to the back of the intercooler. Would be better if you can "rotate" the rear out to more towards the bottom or facing the out to the left. By means of rotate would mean cutting and rewelding is involved? (I'm not sure on how best to approach this, but someone here is bound to be better than me to answer the "rotate" question). :rofl:

ya,, the dimensions of the core is 600 X 280 X 80

that means the front of the cooler will need to be atleast 150mm (80 + 65mm pipe) from the air/con fan if the cooler piping is to clear..

i don't think the rotate thing would be a good idea, don't wanna spend any money modifying it if i buy it,, ya i can sorta see how the piping "could" restrict some of the air flow from the cooler,

but i dont think it would be a major disadvantage ( i hope)

man i can't seem to find any info on this sort of cooler piping,, well mr google hasen't been very helpfull yet , :confused:

hoping someone out there has some pics or comments about this cooler,,,

thanks

Afro