SAU Community

Spark plug gap dilema.. 1.1mm or 0.8mm

Remix-

Yeah -- Know about practicality...............Pity you live so far away from me, you could do mine next time, I can't get even close to that 1/2 hour.   Jeeeeszuss, that would be worth watching.

30 mins for R33, never done an 32 before. Imagine it couldn't be too much different.

Would u believe that there are guys in these forums that actually do it way quicker than that!!!

5uck!! like to see how many scratches they put on their car!!! :wassup:

Yeah, if you lived closer, be a pleasure!!, and we'd take our time about it too!

I've since confirmed that my Platinums should still get close to 100000km's on a turbo car, with few mods....ace!!

I am running boch 4's and had a bit of a miss when on the gas.

Just upgradded to splitfire coils and the miss is less by a long shot but is still there.

WIll probs get som BCPR6EIX-11 plugs and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Are boch 4's more of wank feature or r they resonable?

RedDrifter - i wonder if there was a problem with spark plugs and no need to go to splitfires in the first place.

Yeah I am thinking the same but its a bit late now to worry about it.

Well I guess my ignition system is alot stronger now.

Robo's - can you get the heat range 5. I got a Series 1 R32.

I will check, 5 is a warmer plug though and would suit if your motor is stock. If its modded i would recommend 6

I have 6 in it now, had it since i bought it but recently i found out nissan recommends 5 for the series 1 r32 and 6 for the rest.

i think that could be reason for not starting up properly when cold as few guys had a very similar problem with colder spark plug.

i might ger some coppers to see how it goes with different heat range.

I just installed iridium BKR7EIx11 last night. This is with the standard 1.1mm gap which maybe ok with low boosted cars but not high boosted cars. Now, i have a slight miss in the midrange when my boost is wound upto 20psi. Reading thru the net, high boosted cars require a smaller gap, hence the turbo blowing the flame out with a large gap. Now also reading you can gap iridium just be careful with that iridium tip. Make sure you dont hurt it with the feeler guage.

So im going to pull them out tonight and gap them down to .95 or 1.0.

I just installed iridium BKR7EIx11 last night.  This is with the standard 1.1mm gap which maybe ok with low boosted cars but not high boosted cars.  Now, i have a slight miss in the midrange when my boost is wound upto 20psi.  Reading thru the net, high boosted cars require a smaller gap, hence the turbo blowing the flame out with a large gap.  Now also reading you can gap iridium just be careful with that iridium tip.  Make sure you dont hurt it with the feeler guage.  

hey robbo almost right. you don't need a smaller gap to run more boost, what you really need is a stronger spark, eg better coils or a new ignition system :) Gapping the plugs down to .8 or similar is the easy solution but you will probably lose power

hey robbo almost right.  you don't need a smaller gap to run more boost, what you really need is a stronger spark, eg better coils or a new ignition system :)  Gapping the plugs down to .8 or similar is the easy solution but you will probably lose power

Ive got Spitfires coils allready. I reckon 1.0mm gap will be perfect.

I will check, 5 is a warmer plug though and would suit if your motor is stock.  If its modded i would recommend 6

excuse me, whats the heat range? is the number bigger, the better? :headspin:

There's no "better" or "worse" in heat ranges. The heat range the manufacturer says is worked out by the combustion dynamics of the standard engine. Generally speaking the closer the insulation comes to the end of the centre electrode the cooler the plug. That is because the amount of metal protruding without being in contact with material which can dissipate the heat is less. A couple of simple examples as to why heat ranges may be changed with advantage would be in,say, a worn engine, burning some oil and running on lower compression, may tend to oil up plugs and misfire. A hotter plug would burn off the oil and not misfire. An engine with ,say, greater boost or compression,may tend to 'pre-ignite' fuel producing 'running - on' or 'knocking', because the centre electrode glows red hot and ignites the fuel prematutely. A cooler plug would fix it. Whilst that is unlikely with modern Engine Management systems, the measures to fix it [mods to fuel,mixture,timing,etc] damp down performance. Prob the only real way with a Modified engine, is a supply of different plugs and a dyno THERE"S A HAPPY THOUGHT.

• 2 months later...
I just installed iridium BKR7EIx11 last night.  This is with the standard 1.1mm gap which maybe ok with low boosted cars but not high boosted cars.  Now, i have a slight miss in the midrange when my boost is wound upto 20psi.  Reading thru the net, high boosted cars require a smaller gap, hence the turbo blowing the flame out with a large gap.  Now also reading you can gap iridium just be careful with that iridium tip.  Make sure you dont hurt it with the feeler guage.  

BK type plugs (ISO) are too short, you need BCP plugs. BK plugs are ISO standard which is shorter than the Japanese standard BCP type plugs.

:spcartman