SAU Community

Typhoon......Anyone here affected?

RiverSide

My R32 GTST is due to leave in November.

How do they store the cars when waiting for shipping.

:zap:  

Any one know???

Depends on who you're supplier is mate. Ask 'em. But in my experience they are mostly stored in the open :rant: Undercover space is at a premium...

Richard

Well now you can all buy even cheaper Skylines...everyone knows after typhoon season there are bargains to be bought.

*small print - flood damage* :D

They may or may not say though as they do a mightly good job of cleaning out the mud from the interior, now where are those photos.

THUS...be very aware of flood damage cars!

jeez... i heard over 80 people have been confirmed dead. How bad is it over there?

Bizarre. I would have thought in a country like Japan (ie. no excuses about uneducated people, poor, etc) that there wouldn't be nearly as many deaths. What are the main causes of death?

LW

Not 80 but certainly close...

67 dead, 21 missing in wake of typhoon

Friday, October 22, 2004 at 07:31 JST

TOKYO — Typhoon Tokage left at least 67 people dead, 21 missing and 351 injured as it cleared Japan on Thursday morning, and the government said the damage was the worst from a typhoon in 25 years.

The typhoon brought downpours and strong winds, destroying houses and important cultural properties, derailing a train and disrupting transportation services across the country.  

The number of casualties was the worst in 25 years, the Cabinet Office said, comparing the latest figures with the 115 people who died or went missing in an October 1979 typhoon.

According to the National Police Agency, about 70 houses nationwide have been completely destroyed or partly destroyed and more than 4,500 houses were flooded as of 7 p.m. Thursday, while there were mudslides in more than 600 locations and nine flood-control dikes have broken.

Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi ordered an immediate dispatch of a government fact-finding team when he met Yoshitaka Murata, state minister in charge of disaster management, government officials said.

Airlines canceled a total of 119 domestic flights Thursday morning, affecting some 25,000 travelers. The flight schedule was expected to normalize beginning in the afternoon, airline officials said.

Thirty-seven people stranded on top of a tourist bus overnight on a flooded road in Maizuru, Kyoto Prefecture, were rescued by helicopters and rafts Thursday morning.

"I was able to stay calm while waiting for help but could not hold back tears when I was rescued," said a woman who was among the 37. The group had to endure about nine hours of cold weather.

Elsewhere, 167 students and teachers from the institute for sea training in Yokohama aboard the sea training ship Kaio Maru were rescued Thursday afternoon. Among the 167, 15 suffered injuries such as fractured bones in their arms and legs.

The ship was stranded in waters off Toyama port along the Sea of Japan coast after it was thrown on a breakwater by high waves.

On Thursday morning, the typhoon was downgraded to an extratropical depression after moving into the Pacific off the Kanto region of eastern Japan, the Japan Meteorological Agency said.

The typhoon, which made landfall on Shikoku Island at about 1 p.m. Wednesday, reached Japan's largest main island of Honshu later in the day, landing in Osaka Prefecture.

The 23rd typhoon of the season then moved through Honshu overnight and went offshore near Choshi, Chiba Prefecture, at around 6 a.m. Thursday.

It is the 10th typhoon to make landfall in Japan this year. The previous record was six in both 1990 and 1993.

Many areas across Japan were hit by torrential rain and strong winds from Tokage, which is the Japanese name for the constellation Lacerta, or the Lizard.

The fatalities included a man and woman who died when a mudslide swept through some houses in Miyazu, Kyoto Prefecture, on Wednesday, and a couple who went missing after a mudslide struck their house in Kagawa Prefecture on Wednesday night.

Among the missing is a police officer who was standing guard at a cave-in on a national road in Kyoto Prefecture, the police said, adding that a 61-year-old man who was missing in Hyogo Prefecture was later found to be safe.

A two-car train on the JR Iida Line was derailed in Tatsuno, Nagano Prefecture, and fell about 4 meters into a rice paddy, slightly injuring four passengers, police said.

The typhoon also caused damage to some state-designated important cultural properties, including the roof of Tamura-do hall of Kiyomizu Temple in Kyoto and the wall of Zuiryu Temple in Takaoka, Toyama Prefecture.  

Killer typhoon death toll hits 66

....Of those who died, 24 were in their 70s and 17 were in their 80s. Another 15 were in their 60s...

As you can see it's mostly the elderly who get caught in the floods, won't leave, too scared to leave and drown.

As reported certainly the worst in 25 years as this one came straight through a major cities - Osaka, Kyoto, Kochi, Tokushima etc. This years is also the most number of typhoons in one season.

This definitely pushes the death toll to well over 100++ for this season alone :D, condolences.

The record also extends to the 2nd ever hottest summer here in Japan. Here in Osaka it was very hot and humid with no rain, but the poor poeple in Tokyo had to endure 40.1 degrees heat for well over 30 days. Highest ever recorded temp in Japan since they started recorded back in 1930's is 40.3 degrees in Yamagata IIRC.

Not a very good year.

Not a good year at all, and the reality is it's probably only going to get worse...

Yeah, beware of flood damaged cars - almost bought one a few years back - was pretty much impossible to tell it had been in a flood, and the only reason I found out was because I kep pushing the seller to say why the car (Nissan Cube) was going so cheap...

Buyers beware.

Dave also unfortunate is damage to heritage listed shrines and temples. Did you see what happened to the shrine (I forget the name) facing the Torii gate on Miyajima?...and now Kiyomizu sustained some damage :/...these historical buildings have stand the wits of time and tragic to see them destroyed by natural disaster...rebuilding them will never bring back the true beauty they have held all this time.