SAU Community

Water Spray For Intercooler

OMRAN

here is 2 pics , one of the RSM set to spray at 3500 rpm and one of the jets sprayin the cooler, i still havent had time to work out the leakin but once i do, i will explain how its done and how to wire the relay

Yeahhh that's what I'm talkin about! :P w00t! Nice work man. I love the automatic spray via the RSM idea! Looking forward to getting mine hooked up :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got this on my Front mount. I use a Hobbs Pressure Switch ($50) and when I hit 10PSI it activates the sprayer...it is also adjustable so you can set it anwhere from about 6 up to 25. The leaking sprayer thing I solved by introducing an air bleed at the T-piece...you lose a little water when it sprays but once it stops, the only water that drains is what's left in the line after the T. I am going to sort out another sprayer design so that the water stays at the end, ready for action instead of filling the line back up every time. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

PROBLEM FIXED:).... there is a very easy solution once i worked it out:)...on some cars, on the wiper jets hose line they have a valve in them which just looks like a connector but its actually a valve, it has a small ball bearing inside it which doesnt let water through untill there is enough pressure from the motor to move the ball bearing into the middle of the valve therefore letting the water through, i got mine off a HR31 half cut that i got at home (for my project in the process:)) which has them inline, all i did was cut the hose in the sprayer system and put it inline and problem fixed... if u put the valve as close to the jets as possibe it is better cause that way the water will always be right at the valve ready to go through the jets immediantly instead of travelling all the way from the bottle..;)

Thats the way i fixed mine anyway, hope it all made sense, all i can suggest is try a wreckers for these valve, they will have an arrow on the to tell you with way the water flows and u can see the ball bearing if u look inside,

So i guess people want the write up now on how to do it??

Do you need a spray kit if you have a frontmount intercooler?

LOL. Yes dude, the water spray kit is designed to enhance the cooling ability of your intercooler. Spraying cooler water or mist over the cooler will help with the cooling of the charge air running through the intercooler. You dont need a spray kit, but extra cooling always helps :)

Add a 1 way anti syphon valve into the system and you wont have to worry about water leaking out.

CNBLOW

You should use nozzles at admit a fine mist of water onto the intercooler, that way the water will cool the intercooler better as it will evaprote quicker. The stock wiper pump may not be able to produce enough pressure to drive the misting nozzles tho.

I used to work with water intake cooling on gas turbines a few years ago :D

i was looking at the post talk about ice in the bottles and remembered a lad routed an aircon pipe into a fabricated tiny esky (his sprayer bottle) it wasnt on a skyline, but it used to be able to form icicles in the esky. a lot of work??? maybe but its DIY and it was pretty cheap but the main thing, it worked!

• 2 weeks later...

yeah but wouldn't he lose power by having the aircon on all the time?

I will try to find my digi camera and show you all how I did it.

From the res in the boot to the pressure switch to the sprayers.

As for the anti-syphon valve...where can I get one of these? And I thought that it only travelled one way anyway, wouldn't a one way valve stop it from travelling the one way I need it to.

CNBLOW's method is by far the easiest to do, and it works very well... It's fully automatic, no leaks, and works off the rear window washer pump in the washer bottle. When I get around to it, I'll take some pics.... and if Daniel is feeling too lazy :rofl: I'll do a brief write up of how it's done.

:(

• 2 years later...
hey guys,

whats better to use for this DIy job,

go to wreckers and get water jets off some car or go to bunnings and get some garden type mist sprayer or something?

cheers

Garden type mist spray would be better and its what I used but you face the water dripping sprays.

I still need a solution

someone should make up a backyard kit... i recommend using aca or mcx 2001-2005 camry washers as they are mist type spray rather than jet spray.

if anyone has access to camry washer jets or has them around let me knw ill buy them off u.

thanks

mark.

Edited by markimak

I hooked up a double sprayer with garden sprayers using my rear wiper moter. Now the water keeps leaking out draining ur bottle. U need a one way check valve. u can get one form a aquarium shop for about $3.50

here is a link to a pic of what u need :huh:

http://www.aquasonic.com.au/catalogue/database.php?id=992

Put one of hte inline after ur pump and it shoudl be sweet. i will have it all hooked up by the week end and will update evey one with how i go .

how does this work??

i tried this in my R33 and the water just keeps coming out

i put a tube from the right motor to my cooler with just one bonnet jet on the end and when i press wash the water comes out but it doesnt stop?? what am i doing wrong

how does this work??

i tried this in my R33 and the water just keeps coming out

i put a tube from the right motor to my cooler with just one bonnet jet on the end and when i press wash the water comes out but it doesnt stop?? what am i doing wrong

Hey mate ur not doing any hting wrong.

You need either one way spray washer nozzles or a one way check valve. See the link a few posts up for a pic of a check valve. They basically stop the watter commin gout when there is now pressure.

I dont know how to make it work with out a check valve? does any one elsE?

Update, when at the aquarium shop try and get a spring type check valve , i got a rubbuer thing that didnt work for water spray purposes.

BUT!

wha u can do if the hose from ur washer pump run it higher than the pump outlet before routing it to the sprayers, i hooke mine around the radiator over flow line to keep it high. Now after i connected it all i got a stanly knife with a pointy end and put a reall small cut/pinhole in the pipe at its high point. When u spray u loos a tiny bit of water out the first top hole, u still get great presure to ur nozzles and the best thig is that now u water wont all empty away!. play with the hole size till u get it right, dont go to big too soon cause obviously u loos water there.

Now this is just a temp fix till i find a proper check valve :no: