SAU Community

Stagea Dyno Results

Guest R34GTRGODZILLA

Hi all, My name is Simon

I Know i havnt been much of a talker on these forums, but i have read alot.

I have been slowly doing mods to my S2 2000 Stagea over the last couple of months of last year.

I finally went on the drive with my car from Cairns to Brisbane and had it dynoed.( all mods done at home before driving except for ecu.)

The drive down was terrible with boost creep hindering my overtaking ability.(igniton to retarded i believe) Poor fuel economy, and not much power.

I got 199.5AWKW on 98ron V-Power. Apperently it only achieved 90 somthing AWKW before any tuning began. I am well .........very happy with this final figure, and to get it first time im a happy Stagea owner.

The only problem now is im living in sydney for 6 months for work and my car is still in QLD and cant drive the bloody thing...........oh well the best things in life come to those who wait......apperently.

FMIC

GTRS full turbo kit ( bought from this forum at a good price new second hand.)

040 bosch pump (needs some further attention to prevent surging)

HkS Split dump

Home made intermediate pipe.

3" metal cat

Trust cat back exhaust.

Malpasi fuel pressure regulator.

Haltech interceptor ECU.

• 2 weeks later...

199.5awkw you've gotta be happy with that Simon!! that's awesome...

That's a pretty good result, ours ended up at 133 rwkw with just the DFA (11 to 1 A/F ratios) and the IEBC (10 psi), zero mechanical mods. Do you have the dyno graphs for boost and A/F ratio? That's the best way to judge a tune.

Next step, I would go for a split dump, with BOS or CES being the best value for money. Personally I am going to use a GCG ball bearing hi flow turbo, keeping in mind my power target of 200 4wkw. So that turbo will do it easily at around 1 bar, or maybe even less.

Why 200 4wkw? Well I don't really want to change the injectors, or the fuel pump and I figure the auto will handle that power output without killing it. Plus it isn't a race car, it TOWS the race car, so it has to be reliable. Plus I don't want to spend all of my time (and money) modifying it beyond it use. Past experience with RB25's tells me 200 4wkw with an auto (about 215 rwkw with a manual) is a nice reliable and tractible power output.

:) cheers :D

Hey Gary how did this turn out??? Did you make it to your magic figure of 200awkw? What did you have to replace out of exhaust manifold/turbo/injectors/fuel pump etc?

Sorry I can't find results anywhere... anyone else know how this project panned out?

Edited by DaveB

Hi all, My name is Simon

I have been slowly doing mods to my S2 2000 Stagea over the last couple of months of last year.

I finally went on the drive with my car from Cairns to Brisbane and had it dynoed.( all mods done at home before driving except for ecu.)

The drive down was terrible with boost creep hindering my overtaking ability.(igniton to retarded i believe) Poor fuel economy, and not much power.

I got 199.5AWKW on 98ron V-Power. Apperently it only achieved 90 somthing AWKW before any tuning began. I am well .........very happy with this final figure, and to get it first time im a happy Stagea owner.

The only problem now is im living in sydney for 6 months for work and my car is still in QLD and cant drive the bloody thing...........oh well the best things in life come to those who wait......apperently.

FMIC

HkS Split dump

3" metal cat

Trust cat back exhaust.

Haltech interceptor ECU.

Great Stuff! What would be really great is for someone in Australia to start taking their Stageas down the quarter so we can see how all these power figures translate into real world acceleration and performance... Please? Anyone? I'm going to do it in the Autumn/Winter sometime for sure!

What boost level were you running?

199.5awkw you've gotta be happy with that Simon!! that's awesome...

Hey Gary how did this turn out??? Did you make it to your magic figure of 200awkw? What did you have to replace out of exhaust manifold/turbo/injectors/fuel pump etc?

Sorry I can't find results anywhere... anyone else know how this project panned out?

Believe it or not I haven't had time to get it on the dyno, I have been far too busy. It feels prety close (to 200 4wkw), but it needs a fuel pump upgrade to take advantage of the adj FPR. I tried upping the fuel pressure with the standard pump and it didn't like it at all. Work is hectic and I have to finish the RB25.5DET re-install into the R33GTST plus get the R32GTST with RB31DET ready for the SuperLap. The toe car (Stagea) unfortunately comes in 3rd in the race for time.

Cheers

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all, My name is Simon

FMIC

HkS Split dump

3" metal cat

Trust cat back exhaust.

Haltech interceptor ECU.

Is your car an auto? There are suggestions that it is hard to get an aftermarket computer that will work well with an auto trans. I am looking for one for my RS4T (four wheel drive auto) series 1. Has anyone got any experience of one that works?

...(later)... I guess not - I have discovered the Jaycar thread and three hours later I am much better informed as to the way to go!

• 4 months later...

post-49463-1220736009_thumb.jpg

1997 Series I RS 4 T (auto)

So far I have the front pipe fitted, cat gutted, replaced the SMIC with a Trust SMIC (bit bigger than the GTT one) uprated fuel pump and turbosmart fuel pressure controller. I threw out the pod filter and put back a factory cold air box with a Pipercross element. Not having yet fitted the boost controller I have bypassed the solenoid and am regulating the bleed with a needle valve to control maximum boost (can't wait to get my Jaycar boost controller fitted). When I have the IEBC, DAFA and SITC fitted and tuned I expect to get around 170 - 180 AWKW and since I want 200+I will have to upgrade my turbo. That should do it but if it doesn't I may finally be forced to fit a FMIC.

Good result for the mods! Another kiwi at torque performance heh.

I was a bit suspect about how they tuned my car :/

Yep I just went there because someone else organised a dyno day. I plan to tune the car myself. I have bought an LM3 kit (O2 broadband sensor with datalogging meter) and have made up my own remote "det cans" ($20 radio mike and $15 radio earphones). Just have to fit my IEBC, DFA and SITC.

My Automatic S1 RS Four is currently at R.E Customs getting a few things fixed on it.. they threw it on the rollers and it made roughly 130awkw on 7-8psi with shot coil packs breaking down at out around 4,500rpm.

Only Mods are:

Full 3" Cat Back Exhuast

FMIC

Apexi Power Intake

After the spitfires are put on and a few other things checked, when i pick up the car i might take my manual boost controller, quickly plumb it back up and see how much it will make on around 11-12psi.. hopefully should see around 145-150awkw

Edited by SHIZNT

My Automatic S1 RS Four is currently at R.E Customs getting a few things fixed on it.. they threw it on the rollers and it made roughly 130awkw on 7-8psi with shot coil packs breaking down at out around 4,500rpm.

Only Mods are:

Full 3" Cat Back Exhuast

FMIC

Apexi Power Intake

After the spitfires are put on and a few other things checked, when i pick up the car i might take my manual boost controller, quickly plumb it back up and see how much it will make on around 11-12psi.. hopefully should see around 145-150awkw

aye i have yet to put mine on the dyno .. i wanna do a before and after when i take it in next to do my exhaust .. me interesting to see the difference it will make ... may come in handy for a few people wanting to know before and after 3inch full system

Only Mods are:

Full 3" Cat Back Exhuast

FMIC

Apexi Power Intake

I'm sure you will. If you look at my chart you will see the power goes up sharply between 5000 to 7000 rpm. (I expect that fitting the IEBC will bring that power up earlier in the rev range).

Only Mods are:

Full 3" Cat Back Exhuast

FMIC

Apexi Power Intake

Are you sure it's the coils?

99% of the time it's plugs and/or plug gap, not the coils.

Cheers

Gary

• 2 months later...
waken up thread because i finally got my exhaust on and my car on the dyno

blue line is with the full 3inch with twin mufflers

red is stock

Good stuff TJ.

That is making what mine was with the HiFlow turbo, but before I installed my exhaust!

Amazing what a difference it makes, eh?

Easier power?

Edited by iamhe77

Finally got my spitfires put in, raised the boost to around 11psi and put it back on the rollers. Overall result was heaps better mid range but would only go to 129.4awkw about the same as last time. The guys at RE Customs seem to think it may have something to do with the ECU :).. So the plans are to maybe change the turbo to a r34 GTST turbo I've been offered for next to nothing, a HKS or equivalent dump and save for a aftermarket ecu, injectors, fuel pump and GT28 or GT30 hopefully but i may be awhile before the major mods go ahead.

Will post pic's/video's later.

SHIZNT do you still have the original front pipe? Does RE Customs have a lot of RB experience?

The cheapest mod is to by-pass your solenoid (free) although if you have a boost controller you can acheive the same result.

The next cheapest is to replace your panel filter with a high flow one (around $100)

The next item should be your exhaust with a decent front pipe (and gut the cat although I'm in NZ and that's legal here).

At this point you should check your fuel delivery and replace the pump and pressure regulator if necessary ( not just for power but for safety).

With just these mods i got 155AWKW (still on a sidemount albeit a Trust one). Ihave now fitted my Jaycar boost controller and a second hand SAFC and SITC and with a good tune should see at least 175AWKW ( but I won't do the tune til my GCG highflow is fitted next week). You won't need injectors til you're over 220AWKW.

What I'm saying is what's holding you back is your front pipe. A cheap SAFC and SITC will enable you to get maybe 200AWKW with the R34 turbo and you can sell them again when you get a computer.

SHIZNT do you still have the original front pipe? Does RE Customs have a lot of RB experience?

The cheapest mod is to by-pass your solenoid (free) although if you have a boost controller you can acheive the same result.

The next cheapest is to replace your panel filter with a high flow one (around $100)

The next item should be your exhaust with a decent front pipe (and gut the cat although I'm in NZ and that's legal here).

At this point you should check your fuel delivery and replace the pump and pressure regulator if necessary ( not just for power but for safety).

With just these mods i got 155AWKW (still on a sidemount albeit a Trust one). Ihave now fitted my Jaycar boost controller and a second hand SAFC and SITC and with a good tune should see at least 175AWKW ( but I won't do the tune til my GCG highflow is fitted next week). You won't need injectors til you're over 220AWKW.

What I'm saying is what's holding you back is your front pipe. A cheap SAFC and SITC will enable you to get maybe 200AWKW with the R34 turbo and you can sell them again when you get a computer.

Yeah, im thinking it may be the exhuast that is holding it back.. As far as there expieriece they seem to know there stuff.. When i started to have minor issues with the Stagea nobody wanted to touch it except these guys and they were able to reslove my problems. Also when people were telling me my cars missing due to spark plugs or R&R on 11psi, they told me "We'll put some spitfires in it it wont miss a beat!" and its now making heaps better mid range and is heaps more responsive and is ideling alot better.. befor i fit the r34 turbo im gonna jump on the Yahoo auctions a source a HKS split dump & apexi front pipe.. I know i can go JJR but id rather Japanese parts i know are going to fit then Chinese parts that need to be chooped and welded ext.. Then its save for a E-manage Ultimate!

Here's the dyno result..

PIC_0403.jpg

Edited by SHIZNT

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya all. I've got a 97 rs4 auto putting 330hp at all fours (without NOS). t04b, 3" exhaust, stainless manifold, fmic, Greddy plenum, 90mm throttle body, 700cc injectors, adaptronic computer oh yeah it's auto too. Haven't put it on the dyno since getting Nos, But 100hp shot spun all fours up the street :(:D:D !