SAU Community

Gated sump without apgraded pump??

GTR4ever

hi guys..

well its my first post yeey :) loool

i have a 1998 GTR33 v-spec, and as much as i love it, am scared "kinda" to be driving it hard sometimes,

becoz of all these things i've been hearing about a weak tranny/ weak oil pump/ bad sump etc...

is it true that late models gtrs33 came with stronger trannys??

also, i can manage to get a Winged/Gated sump for the car, and i was thinking, if i do that, will i still need to get a better oil pump, or will this be enugh??

btw, i dont road race woth it, just that stoplight/ from a roll punch between now and then... :angel:

There has been plenty of discussion on these topics. Since you don't take it to the track the only suggestions would be to keep the gearchanges smooth and service regularly (oil and filter every 5000km), particularly in your environmental conditions over there. Also watch for high temp days and parking facing into the sun with the intercooler catching the light as it can heat up dramatically. Otherwise, best of luck to you, that's a nice machine to have.

A gated and winged sump is a good idea if you are driving hard on twisty roads or the race track. The pump should be sufficient. An oil cooler might be a good idea though and fatz and Scotsman both have a buy going for them.

Oil cooler = good idea

Sump = not necessary for a road car

Transmission = very, very strong, we run 650 bhp all the time through std transmissions and never have a problem

Driver abuse = most common problem, no matter how strong, you can break anything if you try hard enough

Poor servicing = second most common problem, if you don't service it, it will fail

Tuning = third most common problem on light tune GTR's and most common problem on hard tune GTRS. Make sure it is tuned properly and leave some margin.

Hope that helps :wavey: