SAU Community

what should I look out for?

Quakin

At the moment I'm deeply *thinking* about getting either an r32 gtr or a r33 gtst s2.

Problem is though, I already have 2 cars and would need to sell both of them to fund getting a skyline, so I figured I could trade in both, but unfortunately this means I probably lose several thousand dollars from the dealers and they already overprice their cars ($30K gtr, $26.5K-31K r33 gtst)

The gtst's are at evo :) the gtr's are across the road from the canberra times. And I really hate dealerships.

So other than their inflated prices, what should I be looking out for? I figure the gtr's might be getting a little long in the tooth now... which makes me lean towards the gtst. Atleast then (hopefully) the km's would be easier to determine whether they're genuine.

Sorry for the long ass post, but I do appreciate any help :(

quakin: the obvious advantage from buying from a dealership is that you have room to negotiate a better deal, and of course, peace of mind with a warranty. I bought my gtst(r33 s2) from evo and found them to be upfront about their cars and also dont try the hard sell (after all these cars do sell themselves!) We ended up with getting 2 grands worth of tyres and mags as part of the deal, and a 12 mth warranty. They also sold the car we had on a commission basis (it was a hyundai fx coupe with a little bit of work done to it) They ended up taking about 2 grand as their cut, due to a few things that went wrong with it whilst in the yard (mechanical crap that was bound to happen anyway) Depending on the cars you have, it may be possible to cut a similar deal, but dont quote me on that. All our servicing and mods have been done by evo and they have definately looked ater us in terms of pricing. I know a lot of people say to stay away from evo, but I have no major complaints, and in the end, you dont have to get the go fast bits put onto your skyline by them. Hope this helps, and it is worth the effort to own one of these stunning 'lines. talk to Chris at evo, he is great value, also a young guy named John works there on saurdays, he is passionate about the cars they have.

Good luck., skylinegal.

At the moment I'm deeply *thinking* about getting either an r32 gtr or a r33 gtst s2.  

Problem is though, I already have 2 cars and would need to sell both of them to fund getting a skyline, so I figured I could trade in both, but unfortunately this means I probably lose several thousand dollars from the dealers and they already overprice their cars ($30K gtr, $26.5K-31K r33 gtst)

The gtst's are at evo :) the gtr's are across the road from the canberra times. And I really hate dealerships.

So other than their inflated prices, what should I be looking out for? I figure the gtr's might be getting a little long in the tooth now...  which makes me lean towards the gtst. Atleast then (hopefully) the km's would be easier to determine whether they're genuine.

Sorry for the long ass post, but I do appreciate any help :(

The GTR if it breaks will send you broke... awesome cars though

I brought my R33 GTS-T from Brian Hall in woden, it was priced at about 26.5 but i got it for 20. So don't be to put off by prices.

I think buying from a dealership is a better idea because it is safer to have a warrenty. Its a good idea to get an NRMA inspection done as well, I wasn't going to, but my Dad insisted so we got one done and that picked up a few probs that the dealership got fixed for me, they also organised a rego inspection and to get the imobiliser installed for me, which they paid half of as well.

I think if you don't let the dealership stuff you around you can do fairly well.

I would also suggest if you havn't driven a GTR and GTST you take both for a drive before you make a choice.

From what I've read, only buy a GTR if your prepared to pay lots of extra $ when things **** up, they are getting a bit old now but are still awesome cars..

If you want to buy a car that is less likely to cost you furthermore $ after you buy it, get the R33.

If your not afraid of having to replace a few things in the future, go the GTR.

I'm getting swayed by these opinions because I neglected to say that it would be my daily driver to uni and work :( and I don't really want to keep forking out money because I've almost got a house deposit saved.

I think I'll head into the dealerships on Sunday and see what happens from there.

It's the just the GTR has been a dream that's been just out of reach for so long :) But to honest it was a r32 gtr because there was weekend drift intentions too :)

hey quakin getting rid of the pulsar ay :) yea seriously not trying to put you off but either get a decent series 1 in good running order for like 17 - 18K or just keep the pulsar you have to way up house or car lol cause the lines will cost a bit well a gtr anyways especially when you are like amuru and keep braking it hehe j/ks

Yeah selling the pulsar, I've only had my 180sx for about 5 months and it's fun to drift around. But I don't know, it just seems like there's more potential in the skyline.

Hate to shut you down already Andrew (I assume that's you're name) but to get rid of the cars easily I'm just gonna go through a dealer.

The thing is, I could have a stocko r33, or a nicely modified 180sx. Too many things to think about :)

I'm getting swayed by these opinions because I neglected to say that it would be my daily driver to uni and work :D and I don't really want to keep forking out money because I've almost got a house deposit saved.

I think I'll head into the dealerships on Sunday and see what happens from there. 

It's the just the GTR has been a dream that's been just out of reach for so long :rofl: But to honest it was a r32 gtr because there was weekend drift intentions too :)

As much as I love(LOVE) my GTR,I'd say don't do one as a daily driver...just ask Amaru!It's almost the same as having a Ferrari as the daily work hack-only if you're rich or looking to keep your bank manager in his/her mansion.Go the GTS-T :easier to insure,easier to live with,more fun 'round town,less likely to get unwanted attention...Either way,I'd say invest in the house,and later on you CAN get the car of your dreams-the house will help with that!Trust me on this one!

P.S.-don't(and that's a LARGE "don't")trust the dealer across the road from Canberra Times with the GTR...call this "helpful advice" from an R32 GTR nut...

no offence leech haha.

oHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ITS ON LYCROMAN :cheers:

hehe hey i have bought some m-spec side skirts and i am getting my hks super dragger exhaust on hopefully next week then some r34 gt-t rims then i am done hehe STOCK CARS ROCK :D sif i need to prove how good my car at least all my panels are straight haha j/ks

:D its been made clear that towtruck drivers hate my car and love ripping it to bits! its not my fault goddam it haha!! and ive told you all b4 that the tape holding on my rear pod is high performance race tape! and gives me an extra 22rwkw!!!

but yeah yours is clean as hell anyway, and your intending to mod it, so its all good :cheers:

Quaking,

I know the GTR's you are looking at.

The blue one has heaps of gauges- screwed directly in to the dash! Probably been boosted heaps too… Personally, I don’t trust it a boosed GTR can cause problems.

The Gray one has accident damage- ask evo, they sold the car to the previous owner, who has damaged the front right panel.

Don't believe me: open and close the bonnet of the blue one... then open and close the bonnet of the grey you may find a difference- well I did.

My advice to you in your current situation: Get the GTS-t or just stick with the 180sx. GTS-t are “common” these days in Canberra but offer excellent value for money. 180sx not so “common” and offer great value for money.

GTR is best for after you have paid off the house.

Money is in your hands- you decide what to do with it!

Tim

hehe calm down lycraman :) i know i know i was thinking about modding my car with race tape doing the entire car with race tape i figured should yeild around 300+ rwkw if i tape it on correcly can anyone vouge for this ??? :)

personally if i was u id keep the 180 and buy a house

later down the track u can buy a skyline if need be

btw the sr20 is simple to pull power out of

well over 200rwkws on std t28 turbo would be plenty

oh and skylines arent cheap to mod if u ever look at doing it. ive spent close to 15k this yr