SAU Community

Hooning Laws up North?

bygrave316

Hi again, very boring day at work so thought I'd post something.

Yes don't laugh but I drive a SAAB 9000 CD 2.3Ltr TURBO. It's quicker than it looks... and sounds.. all you really hear on the street is the Turbo, exhaust is rather quiet.

Follow this link to a few of our cars:

Sam's Photo Album - Vihicles

bygrave316 drives an r33 as you would already know.

Justin drives a 626 Turbo running 13Psi with Turbo Back 2.5" exhaust.

James drives an old Carolla and a new Mirage occasionally.

We enjoyed ourselfes up in Launie but we should have made more of it.

Anyway, just finished taping our footage onto VHS not that we got anything really exciting. Next time I'll take 2 DV Cams, 2 Dig Stills, more cars and more CB's.

yeah that sounds pretty cool where abouts you gettting photos taken down here?

and what section of your forum you want me to post in, I just signed up but not sure where you would want me to post....

Anyway this hot 4s thing sound pretty damn cool mate, would be wicked to meet up when you come down just let me know where to start the post on your forum...

yeh mate, all are welcome. hmmm, others have been less useful than I thought. If you want to pm me ur number I'll give u a call when we get down there bout lunch time when we know whats happening.

Well the hooning laws have been put to practice as bygrave316 and I found last Saturday.

As we were heading down Maquaurie St, Hobart heading to the Platinum Club photo shoot we both got pulled over and booked with Racing in a Suburban area with built up traffic.

As a consiquence we had both our cars confiscated and impounded for 48hrs. Picking them up this arvo.

bygrave316 told the officer his car cannot be towed so the officer was nice enough to let us drive our cars to the impound in Patrick St which saved us $300 each in towing fees.

There's 8 parking spaces inside the impound and a huge carpark behind for more. 2 of the spaces are allocated to more expensive and well kept cars so we got them.

Filled out a heap of stickers which were placed over each door seals so as to show us that no one has entered the cars while they are in the impound.

Pissed off with our efforts we then walked to the Platinum Car Club shoot down at the warfe and then I headed up to Launy later that arvo to forget about the crappest birthday of my life.

Well the hooning laws have been put to practice as bygrave316 and I found last Saturday.

As we were heading down Maquaurie St, Hobart heading to the Platinum Club photo shoot we both got pulled over and booked with Racing in a Suburban area with built up traffic.

As a consiquence we had both our cars confiscated and impounded for 48hrs.  Picking them up this arvo.

bygrave316 told the officer his car cannot be towed so the officer was nice enough to let us drive our cars to the impound in Patrick St which saved us $300 each in towing fees.

Hoo-****ing-ray that the "hoon laws" are actually doing something constructive!!

If ever there was a positive case for such legislation, its you two.

On the weekend I gave the 'line a squirt around a certain uphill corner near my place, little did I know the cops where on the other side of the road in traffic.

I was pretty much driving like a complete tool. When they eventually caught up, 2 female cops got out & started the usual 3rd degree... whats that suitcase in the back seat, drilling my passenger for no reason, blah, blah.

They pulled the hoon legislation out of their folder, started reading what they could do to me and my car (48hr impound on 1st offence). To cut a long story short I thought I was screwed, then they did a complete backflip, gave me NO fine, and let me off with a warning!

Couldn't believe my luck! They could have done me for at least 4 offences in that one squirt. Lesson learnt.

yeah, new laws suck. I dont drag at all. I accelerate to the speed limit and thats it.

I only got one car so without it for 48 hours would be a big pain in the arse.

I'd like a go at a drag strip after I get my car tuned. There is one up north yeah?

Should try and organise an imports drag meet.

i'd probably lose everytime but that doesn;t bother me much :(

Were they hot? if they were i would have said:

'How bout you come back to my place and we can sort this matter out like mature adults'

im sure they would have been in for a threesome?

One was alright, she was hard as nails, then did a backflip... She wanted some for sure :(

yeah, new laws suck. I dont drag at all. I accelerate to the speed limit and thats it.

I'd like a go at a drag strip after I get my car tuned. There is one up north yeah?

i'd probably lose everytime but that doesn;t bother me much :)

Yeh dude there is a meet on the 20th November. its the Tassie Sports Compact.

Open to all street 4s, 6s, and rotors. All piston engines must be overhead cam. (rules out commodores!)

definatelly go as its going to be a great event and could lift the tassie street drag scene.

Oh its at Motors AC Delco Dragway. which if you didn't know is in the north of the state near symmons plains.

i'd probably lose everytime but that doesn;t bother me much ;)

Good attitude mate, good to hear...

Just be careful though, accelerating to the speed limit any quicker than the traffic is the worst thing about the new legislation, because its completely at the cops discretion to charge you with "undue noise and acceleration" even if you don't exceed the speedlimit or spin the tyres....Which I find a little disturbing...

I took off from every set of lights from Salamanca square to half way out the brooker in traffic (I was the first car though) in second gear

as quick as is possible to do without big revs/clutch slip (which really isn't very fast in an NA R31!) and there was a divvy van 2 lanes over most of the way, who accelerated a tad slower. So I was touch quicker than the traffic but not squealing tyres, revving hard etc, but halfway out the brooker the cops pulled me over and gave me a warning about "we know you weren't speeding or doing anything dangerous, but you know you can get done for more than speeding these days pal, if it was next week you could have your car confiscated..." luckily it was a warning, and the week before the "hoon laws" came in. Thats the first time since 2001 I've been pulled over by the cops, and it was for nothing dangerous or illegal, just an arbitrary, subjective judgement of speed made by the cops.