SAU Community

Drag racing suspected in crash deaths-StKilda

Let Me Drive

Big issue here i guess. all you people saying that p platers should not be driving these kinda cars, i disagree...to an extent.

I read somewhere in this thread that it is the drivers knowledge of these cars and how to handle them which is a major factor in all these crashes. Taking away these cars for p platers, then letting them drive them again when they are off their p;s is pretty much the same thing; they still have no experience in driving these kinda cars.

FAIR ENOUGH that some people do grow up and are more responsible on the roads after their p plate period has experied..but what about these people that are just off their p's and are driving these cars for the first time? if they have never driven this kinda car, they wont know what to expect, so its kinda the same thing. and what about these p platers that have these kinda cars taken off them, and then are suddenly able to drive them off their p's? do you think they have learnt anything in that period? i personally dont. what the govt. SHOULD do is enforce these driving courses and things that like that, which will BENIFIT drivers. taking the right to drive a car away from a person, then letting them drive it again in a year or 2 isn't really doing much. It is sad that there are dikheads p platers out there that feel the need to be stupid like this, and ruin the driving experience for the rest of us younger drivers. it is because if their acts of stupidity, like drag racing or doing burnouts in a crowed place, that we all have to suffer. like leewah said, "Take it off the public roads you farking jokers and stop thinking your're better than you really are".

well thats wat i think guys

Raz

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading comments posted by some of you concerning the death of someones kid/mate/boyfriend in the smash this morning i now take a much diffrent look at you and to the forums to an extent. The comments seemed unsympathetic to the dead and there family.

It was a foolish place to race through but these things happen and we all know it. The fact so many of you preach about "keeping it to the track" which i too think is the real place to test ya car, But if you are telling me youve never put ya foot down at the lights even once on the street ill either not belive you OR if you trully havent your a much more self restraint, b!tch than me.

Also yes i am 18 and i drive a modded R33 so youll no doubt know my driving skills and who i am just from putting me into a certain catagory like police do to all of us.

RIP

and my deepest sympathy to family and all involved

Condolances to the familes involved, of course...

My opinion...

I've been 18 for almost 2 months, and I still haven't gotten my P's. If I wanted to, I could, but I don't have a car yet. I'm looking at getting a bit of a bomb for awhile, but I'm not even thinking about going for/getting my P's until I get my car. Want to get some experience driving in that car first.

The other thing is, I'll have enough money early next year to get my Sky. I wanted an R34 GT-T for so long, but I've decided I'm going to get an R34 GT25 Non-turbo first. A few reasons. Yes, I've been in turbo 'Lines, and I loved it. I'm hooked. But I don't think I'll be able to be absoloutely confident driving one.

I'm doing a defensive driving course once I get my P's, and probably an Advanced one as well not long after. I don't want my girlfriend to be in danger, just as I don't want the people around me to be.

I'm not trying to poke fun at anyone, or even trying to be an arse. This is just how I feel about it all.

Just my 2 cents (or something).

its always the few people that ruin it for everyone else. i am 18 also and drive a modded r33 skyline. i dont bother drag racing anyone becuase i know that my car will be faster. if i do race someone i keep it to the track its the safest way.

Big issue here i guess. all you people saying that p platers should not be driving these kinda cars, i disagree...to an extent.

I read somewhere in this thread that it is the drivers knowledge of these cars and how to handle them which is a major factor in all these crashes. Taking away these cars for p platers, then letting them drive them again when they are off their p;s is pretty much the same thing; they still have no experience in driving these kinda cars. 

not doubting your judgement bro, but tell me then why is it illegal for a P-Plater to drive a turbo skyline? (exclude R32 if it is true)? imagine doing year 12 maths when you are in grade 1.

Same thing happened to me today when I went into the office... people coming up to me, "did you hear about the skyline accident"... I'm like yeah, I knew about it before I got to work.  Just because I drive a skyline doesnt mean I give a shit. It's incidents like this that make owning an import even harder... careless moron fcukwits.

Hey, easy up on the abuse... "careless moron fcukwits".

Accidents do happen within the speed limit too. And people can get killed.

OK so we all "assume" these kids were racing (and they may have been) - but hey, let's wait until there is some proof before we damn them.

OK so we all "assume" these kids were racing (and they may have been) - but hey, let's wait until there is some proof before we damn them.

mate, it wasn't assumption. Read the article if you haven't already read it. The Civic driver who dragged the skyline owner is the witness. He described the whole incident to the coppas. They were "dragging".

After reading comments posted by some of you concerning the death of someones kid/mate/boyfriend in the smash this morning i now take a much diffrent look at you and to the forums to an extent.  The comments seemed unsympathetic to the dead and there family.

Unsympathetic because it was a stupid thing to do, especially on a damp PUBLIC road, WITH A FULL CAR

Hey, easy up on the abuse... "careless moron fcukwits". 

Accidents do happen within the speed limit too. And people can get killed.

I never actually said they were racing...... the news article describes the incident as a "suspected street drag-racing accident". The media inferred this was the cause based on the police statements. Anything could have happened, but it's still highly probable that the accident was caused by CARELESS DRIVING. Like I said, incidents like this certainly don't improve the image of import car drivers.

The news articles clearly state: 

"Police believe all those involved in the crash were in their late teens or early 20s" and 

"Two young men were killed in an apparent street drag racing accident in St Kilda overnight." and 

"The victims were 18-year-old and 19-year-old" 

The only detail yet to be revealed is the drivers exact age but given the rest of the info I doubt he is much older than the passengers..

Was the driver's age or license status [P plate or not] mentioned in the TV news?

in general, all i'm saying is that i'm unhappy with the way some people have caused everyone to hold a certain view.

i dont see how anyone could feel sorry for the driver...

Here are the facts which i have accumulated from the internet and newspapers:

- He was apparently racing a Honda... illegal in itself (speeding)

- He was driving a modded skyline R33 definetly WAYYYY over the legal limit

but what bothers me most is this...

- He was with 3 other friends in the car, he risked not only his own life but the lives of 3 other people (sadly one in fact died, one of the rear passengers)

How can you possibly feel sorry for him??

Is it just me that's annoyed that the Honda is described by it's manufacturer alone and yet the papers, news.com.au etc go out of their way to mention the fact that it's a SKYLINE and not just a Nissan?

God that shits me! Talk about a bandwagon.

Adrian

Is it just me that's annoyed that the Honda is described by it's manufacturer alone and yet the papers, news.com.au etc go out of their way to mention the fact that it's a SKYLINE and not just a Nissan?

yea i noticed that too. But some newpapers are also calling it a nissan sedan not a skyline

I believe it is irrelevant whether one is on their p's or not to a certain degree, it is the experience and maturity that is essential. I am presently on my 4th year of p's (ie issued my p's in nsw at age 17) and drive a twin turbo mkiv supra. I have driven more km's than a lot of 23 year olds. So what, does that make me incapable for driving a supra? I believe it is more a qualitative issue than quantitive.

I am not saying that 18 year olds should be permitted to drive high performance vehicles but saying that training programs and tests should be carried to determine if a person is at a sufficient level to control a high performance vehicle rather than banning them which in essence causes rage and results in deaths. At least this way, it could be seen as a loop hole for young drivers and force them to learn and respect power.

i dont see how anyone could feel sorry for the driver... 

Here are the facts which i have accumulated from the internet and newspapers:

- He was apparently racing a Honda... illegal in itself (speeding)

- He was driving a modded skyline R33 definetly WAYYYY over the legal limit

but what bothers me most is this...

- He was with 3 other friends in the car, he risked not only his own life but the lives of 3 other people (sadly one in fact died, one of the rear passengers) 

How can you possibly feel sorry for him??

Yea it was a very very foolish mistake to make even more so due to the full car factor, but we all make mistakes. The drivers happened to be somthing that will change things forever and he will live with for the rest of his life i think this alone will be punishment enough

Ok, I've read through all posts here, and concur many valid points have been made.

But can I ask you guys honestly, you say its all about responsibility and that its ok to drive a turbo car, once we have the experience behind us..... experience to know how to handle the car, and the responsibility of when to use it. (i.e. track days etc)

But let, me ask everyone of you here? Who honestly believes they have total control over that car. I most certainly do not. Now I'm 24 and have been driving since I was 16, owned my gtst since I was 23. So all in all, the more safer route in owning a turbo (well at least according to this forum)

What however erks me, is that the more mature ones here, self rightously proclaim that they're not the irresponsible ones...... that they are not to blame for the tarnished image of the imports scene. I guarantee, that each and every one of you have fanged their car, illegally on our streets, I know I've done it.....so how can you condemn just the young, its all of us, that have pissed the authorities off.......

I guess my point is, these things will always occur, when people's ego get in the way. The arrogance of people who believe they're invincible... Like watching today tonight, they interviewed some redneck who was quoted on national television saying "you live hard and you play hard" obviously a sound bite reporters were looking for. Now what the phuck is with attitude.........

Oh well, so as a community, I think we need to weed these no hopers out.... stop making it cool, to drag race, drifting on public roads is for try hards who need to tear around a corner, to compensate for their tiny di(k. Spread the word gentleman, as narky said, illegal behaviour in an import will no longer be tolerated!

ps, as stated earlier.........

the implication of these losers, who chooses to be dic(khead on our roads, is that everybody gets pinged. Expect most people here will get pulled over in the near future. I know I'm bracing myself for it. Yes its a knee jerk reaction, but at the moment, I don't see any other way

But until people's attitude changes, we're all phucked because of this minority group.

Phuck it, I've been toying with the idea for a while now, think I may put my car on the market. Anybody interested in a R33 gtst???