SAU Community

Drag racing suspected in crash deaths-StKilda

Let Me Drive

lol ...

in reference 2 ur points.

1st Dude i never meantioned any references to the colors of the car.

2nd Now that u meantion it i think i have seen those plates on a prelude

And in reference 2 points 1&2 im sure my mate was as stoned or if not as drunk as u can possibly get 2 walk up those damn steps on the bridge. hehe

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We give our deepest condolences to the family of those that past away and hope that the survivors are able to make a full recovery. Our prayers are with the family and friends of all those involved.

Our club has been formed to educate drivers of Skylines on safe driving and maintenance of their cars, as well as providing social family events for our members. While this incident has brought the car and drivers of the car into the spotlight, there are a few things to be noted:

The Skyline is Japan's equivalent of the Holden Commodore, there are different variants that range from low power passenger vehicles, to high power sports models. One of the most common mistakes made by media and most members of the community is sterotyping all import car drivers as young, irresponsible and thrill seeking.

We organise controlled driver education days and CAMS affiliated track based events, where drivers of all ages and experience can attend to test and improve their skills and become familiar with their cars in extreme situations. We would like to extend a welcome to drivers of any car to attend such events so that we may see less immature behaviour on the street resulting in more fatalities, which we do not condone."  

And this is how by careful and selective editing, the article will come out (Inclusive of Title):

When Will They Learn

Inside sources spoke exclusively to the (insert any current affairs show/ newspaper) today and in their respose to the terrible crash that involved a Turbo-Charged Nissan Skyline Import and took the lives of two young people. They were quoted as saying;

Our club has been formed to drive Skylines. This incident has brought the car and drivers of the cars into the spotlight, there are a few things to be noted:

The Skyline is Japan's high power sports model and all import car drivers are young, irresponsible and thrill seeking. We organise drives in extreme road situations and would like to extend a welcome to drivers to attend such extreme events.

Well you guys know what i mean. The amount of time i heard 'Turbo-Charged Nissan Skyline Import' on any news report was utterly amazing.

Yes exactly, looks like NismoR34 is gonna own himself again like he did in the MAS thread :D

:runs and hides:

INSANE you are the one who "owned" yourself this morning...it was approximately 0832 hours, had just been raining and what do I hear screaming down the Monash Freeway just after warrigal rd entrance, ducking in and out of lanes like a bat out of hell :burnout:??? None other than the keyboard-t88-on-board-warrior himself :rofl: this one will be good for publicity :D Just as well you changed yr number plates from yr user id :rofl:

LOL

How could i be screaming down the monash carpark (freeway) when the traffic was bumper to bumper?? I remember accelerating to overtake a truck but thats about it!! I barely get over 80km/h on that ***ed up freeway in the mornings!!

when i was over in melbourne i stayed in fern tree gully and travelled up the dandenong rd....

as its been said time and time again, leave it on the track guys....

if you want to cut corners and brake late then go to the race track and try and get your best time

if you want to stall it up at the lights and try and get as many ponies to the ground and head in a straight direction head down the strip.....

you can then argue about whose car is fastest using times and whose car is faster on the run using MPH :(

simple thing is, if you dont get caught by the cops you will one day or something like this will happen....

saying that, i have been through this stage and come out the end alive.....without a major crash to my name (dodged a few close ones tho) :|

everyone involved have 2 dead blokes on their mind the rest of their life and it will be hard for a while, so lets all learn from this....all owners of every car, NOT JUST THE SKYLINES..... :

drive safe people...

I had a pretty similar accident to this one about 2 years ago in my R33. It's not all that hard to do considering I was probably doing about 50k's. My car broke traction on a wet road through a corner. The bum came round a little and the car slipped sideways over the gutter, up onto grass, through a street sign and into a tree. The damage wasn't extream but there was a fair gap between me leaving the road and stopping.

Doing 70k's and having a similar thing happen would be a whole different story and very much so considering they hit a pole instead of a sign then a tree with a bit of a run off. It's easy for me to see how so much damage could be done.

It's a very sad story and I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I had of been going a little bit quicker and the tree had of been about a meter to the right you could of been writing about me and I certianly wasn't driving like a hoon or drag racing so my 3 lessons are

1. WET ROADS DON'T MEAN PLAY TIME (How many wheels spins do you hear in the rain!?)

2. EASE OF ON THE THROTLE IN THE WET AND SLOW IT DOWN

3. THINK ABOUT WHAT COULD HAPPEN BEFORE IT HAS A CHANCE TO

I stick by these rules and have been a-ok :(

My R33 - 249.1Kw @ wheels, 670Nm Torque (Dyno Dynamics Dyno)

hhhmmm .... age 18, you say ... maybe that's a mistake or is the R33 for track work?

PS - not questioning your driving ability or attitude given I don't know you but you would in the minority if you were safe driving that ... And why is it so hard for people to wait the three years and gain experience first .. it is, after all, a "probationary" period

Also yes i am 18 and i drive a modded R33 so youll no doubt know my driving skills and who i am just from putting me into a certain catagory like police do to all of us.

the category is a simple one (assuming you don't fall in a very set of exceptions for P-plates) ... you are breaking the law intentionally and the police are paid to enforce the law ... No different to a non P-plater driving around unlicensed or in an unregistered vehcile ...

mikem that’s a fair point but you also have to look at the amount of p platers driving around in V8's which are not legal as well yet the cops don’t crack down nearly as hard as they do to a p plater in a skyline.... Mate some exceptions should be made under the right circumstances and with the right testing... i have a modded R33 as well and i dont drive like a wank which most people think i would just because of the car im driving.....

Both are valid point but one thing you have to remember is that it's a LOT easier to pick a Skyline than it is a V8 becuase they could be either a 6 or an 8, you'd have to hear it where as the cops see a P on a Skyline and their eye's light up.

Also another major difference between V8's and Turbos is the power curve, in the wet a V8 puts power down from go so you'd need to regulate the thottle just to get moving but in a turbo you put the foot down and don't find out about it untill you spool up and generally thats too late.

since i've bought my car there are have been quit a few "incidents" involving Skylines and imports (ie 300zx), scaring the shit out of me. :( I think i'm going to be a nervous wreck the first time i drive my car. And probably even more nervous if i'm the designated driver for the night.

This has just made me more determine to follow the path i was already planning on taking. First mods = suspension. Full work over, bars, springs, shocks, bushes, everything. Most probably no hicas and i've already got really good tyres. Just going to do everything i can to make it a safe/predictable car. All these stories really are scray stuff, and if something like that can happen a 70km/hr on a semi-wet road, in a turbo Skyline, i'm starting to get a little worried.

Most probably no hicas and i've already got really good tyres. Just going to do everything i can to make it a safe/predictable car. All these stories really are scray stuff, and if something like that can happen a 70km/hr on a semi-wet road, in a turbo Skyline, i'm starting to get a little worried.

Just don't take things for granted. Having a predictable car doesn't mean anything cos' road conditions change everywhere you go.

Unless you are an experienced driver and have the ability to control the car in all forms of conditions (from oversteer to understeer), most likely you would end up in an incident.

Happy Motoring!

if something like that can happen a 70km/hr on a semi-wet road, in a turbo Skyline, i'm starting to get a little worried.

I doubt the skyline was doing the speed limit.. that section of road is totally flat, 4 lanes wide.... 70km/h? I highly doubt it. (before anyone flames me, it's MY opinion :upurs: ). Even friends of the Honda driver said they were drag racing, having a bit of fun which unfortunately ended very badly... but I think there has been enough said about that.

Drive sensibly and you will be fine. A skyline is like any other sports car, if you dont respect it, it will bite you hard. Besides, unless you have a big f*ck off turbo and run copious amounts of boost, you shouldnt have any problem at all. Remember - off boost, it will drive like a any other reasonably 6cyl. car. Careful throttle control, 'good' suspension, decent tyres, and a sensible driving attitude will keep you safe.