SAU Community

Drag racing suspected in crash deaths-StKilda

Let Me Drive

if something like that can happen a 70km/hr on a semi-wet road, in a turbo Skyline, i'm starting to get a little worried.

I doubt the skyline was doing the speed limit.. that section of road is totally flat, 4 lanes wide.... 70km/h? I highly doubt it. (before anyone flames me, it's MY opinion :upurs: ). Even friends of the Honda driver said they were drag racing, having a bit of fun which unfortunately ended very badly... but I think there has been enough said about that.

Drive sensibly and you will be fine. A skyline is like any other sports car, if you dont respect it, it will bite you hard. Besides, unless you have a big f*ck off turbo and run copious amounts of boost, you shouldnt have any problem at all. Remember - off boost, it will drive like a any other reasonably powered 6cyl. car. Careful throttle control, 'good' suspension, decent tyres, and a sensible driving attitude will keep you safe.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt the skyline was doing the speed limit.. that section of road is totally flat, 4 lanes wide.... 70km/h? I highly doubt it. (before anyone flames me, it's MY opinion :upurs: ). Even friends of the Honda driver said they were drag racing, having a bit of fun which unfortunately ended very badly... but I think there has been enough said about that.

Drive sensibly and you will be fine. A skyline is like any other sports car, if you dont respect it, it will bite you hard. Besides, unless you have a big f*ck off turbo and run copious amounts of boost, you shouldnt have any problem at all. Remember - off boost, it will drive like a any other reasonably powered 6cyl. car. Careful throttle control, 'good' suspension, decent tyres, and a sensible driving attitude will keep you safe.

Yes and no I mean I wasn't running a big turbo or high boost but your spot on the mark with tyres, they are the number 1 factor in my opinion. Problem is wide tyres look awesome on a car but becuase there is a larger surface area touching the ground the weight of the car is distributed over a greater area therfore reducing the overall pressure generated by that weight. In simple terms wide tyres = more wheel spin in wet.

Wide tyres = more wheel spin in the wet?

What you say is true but shouldnt there be more traction by the same token that there is more surface area?

But then again, you're talking about the wet so i guess its like a huge dingy floating in a shallow pond... a smaller dingy would sink and touch the bottom...

I dunno...

i think maybe thinner tyres in the wet have less water to dispel to remain in contact with the road?

911 Turbo's are like running 285's on the rear, prob more 295's and you'd have to be doing something REALLY REALLY stupid to lose that car in the wet. All does have a good 4WD system. But i think the point is, i'd still rather have wider tyres, and most driving is done in the dry.

In regards to predictability.

Surely you'd rather drive a car that has had a full suspension treatment (for aussie roads) and good tyres as compared to stock? Car would sit flatter, more contact with the road. You can set the car up the way you want, maybe a touch of understeer (supposedly a little more controllable) Well that's the way i see it. Lower centre of gravity, etc. I know i'm going the full Whiteline treatment.

I had a pretty similar accident to this one about 2 years ago in my R33. It's not all that hard to do considering I was probably doing about 50k's. My car broke traction on a wet road through a corner. The bum came round a little and the car slipped sideways over the gutter, up onto grass, through a street sign and into a tree. The damage wasn't extream but there was a fair gap between me leaving the road and stopping.

I had a very similar accident a couple of months ago...

It was a sobering experience... I had never had an accident before and was totally caught off guard when the bum stepped out at about 50-60km/h...

I fought it all the way managing to keep it out of the trees and away from the brick wall, but ended up backwards through a barbed wire fence, no major dents but... barbed wire + paint = $

Adzmax you are absolutely right about how bad a 64klm/hr crash is, but the reality is that a driver always gets to brake a heap before impact...so hitting at 64 would suggest a *way* faster speed when 64 when it all goes bad

My condolences to the people who died in this accident.

My hope is that it can be a lesson to other young drivers, and that it will be a few years until it happens again.....it always happens again....young drivers think they will live for ever...me included....

hay guys not sure if you saw this on Tv, i was watching Tv while i saw it and the skyline was bloody ripped to shreds.

what really pisses me off is if you want to go and do stupid things like that do it on your own, dont take your mates in the car and danger their lives becuase of your stupidy

thats my 2 cents.

"Sergeant Ron Perrett of the Major Collision Investigation Unit said the cause of the accident was still to be confirmed but said the stretch of Dandenong Road where it occurred passes through a cutting under St Kilda Junction and "certainly has a history of cars using this section of road for racing".

Now thats a familiar name

Guest jimmyd17

what a tragety.. its so sad to see young lives cut short like this.

its dissapointing to see so much blame being pointed left right and centre within this thread. the media will twist and turn anything they can to get a good story within their own rules and sometimes outside the rules if they can get away with it. that is what they do! its anyones guess as to what actually really happened.

as far as i know, victoria is the only state with power restrictions for P platers, and so many people seem to be getting up on their high horse about whats legal and what isnt. at the end of the day, who really cares, its not about that.. its about unfortunate incidents like this happening and what can be done about it. laws will always be broken if they are there or not. compulsary defensive driver courses as part of getting your licence has to be the most effective way of preventing these trageties.

my sympathy to the friends and families of the 2 guys that died.

Now thats a familiar name

"Perrett" lol .. i think you have him confused for Mr Pettit?? Maybe they are brothers involved in a mixed up tryst? :)

Boy, this thread is already filled with more mistruths than the "National Enquirer" - no wonder so many rumours go around after these sorts of events.

dang, just realised one of the kids i went to high/primary school with.

He was a few years below me, but i know the face, and a few members of his family by face also.

Tragic too as its another death in the St. Bernards community. One im a part of as most of my mates are from there.

If you all say the Hearald Sun today. Last year was one of my great mates Gary, his brother with the umbrella incident that was hard on a lot of people. And now another poor bugger dying in a car accident from that same area.

For those with no sympathy. You astound me with your attitudes

i agree, i lost my best mate, and theres a few people in this thread not showing alot of sympathy, for crying out loud two people have just passed away and all you can talk about is how the cops are gonna crack down on you, how u might get a canary, so what it comes with having the car

mate i think you have missed a lot of threads because as a lot well almost all of us have said that we send our deepest condolences to the family and friends of those who have died and that we were all very sorry that it happened..... we have also discussed the other issues which will arise from this accident so take it easy mate we all know it's a tragedy...

Guest SXY.033
Oh and one more thing, ever seen what a car looks like after a 70km crash?

image002.jpg

64km and hour crash test, now imagine a pole to the side!

FYI

I've had a front on crash at that speed in an (r31 silhouette) and my car only had frontal damage, no roof damage whatsoever.

It depends if your hitting an object that has room to move i.e a car will take some of the impact and 'give' a little - if you hit a stationary object like a tree for example then your car would bear most fo the brunt.

not doubting your judgement bro, but tell me then why is it illegal for a P-Plater to drive a turbo skyline? (exclude R32 if it is true)?  imagine doing year 12 maths when you are in grade 1.

whoaaa all teh way back from page 3!! heh

i dont know why its illegal for a p-plater to drive an r33gtst(u can drive rb20det r32 legally). as ive been reading so much in this thread, it comes down to the driver. If you cant handle the power, fine...get out of the car and get something else. But what about some of us that drive our cars daily in a normal matter? us that use our skylines because we enjoy the ride? why should we have to wait until we are off our p's to enjoy this? just because some people have been stupid and crashed their modified cars and now there is this steriotypical view on p- plater skyline drivers?