SAU Community

Tyre Pressure

Just a quick question.

What pressure do you guys have your tyres pumped to?

I recently had a flat (never found out why it went flat btw - the guy said he couldnt find anything wrong with the tyre after significant testing) and afterwards the person who mounted it back on said to fill them all up to around 36 psi. However I checked on the side of the wheel and saw a max of 35. In the end I just filled them to 32. Interestingly most of my tyres were in the mid 20s prior to me checking.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

When at a track day earlier this year, guys were suggesting to put 5psi more than the max rating... so i was running over 40psi i think... not sure if its bad for tyres or not, but everything went fine

I have just recently pumped mine to 38psi - they were kina flat and it was the first time I had to pump em up. Ride previous @ around 28psi was alot smoother but I have found that at higher psi it has better handeling (can really feel all the bumps) but thats also because of the Tien HA set-up.

I have also been told...

My last car I fitted Perelli P7000's (215 x 40 x 17) I had them pumpede to 45psi because they had a MAX of 50psi anyway these tyres only lasted 15000km's B4 they were well and truely stuffed, when I went to the place that sold em to me they said I should have only pumped them around 30 - 35psi to increase life of tyres - sacrifice performance? how much I'm not sure.

Depends on the tyre. I'm running Bridgestone GIIIs, and they are recommended to run 36psi in them.

As a rule of thumb, running around 2psi higher in the fronts (of a 2WD car) will reduce the tendency to understeer.

I have Yokohoma AVS 235 45 17s front and 255 40 17's rear - tyre shop advised 36psi at front and 38psi at rear. Went to the track last week and highest pressure was 45psi . The guy in charge said a tyre should not vary more than 4psi between cold & hot temp, hence the high track psi.

They are stock Nankangs.  

Bloody shithouse too if you ask me!

Holy shit dude...

Get some new tyres, I had NAKA... fu*k it on my FWD Celica and I would have to say the factory stock were 100 x better than the cheap NAKA... fu*k it sport rubber I put on. You get what you pay for... 90% of the time!