SAU Community

What is with idiotic names for cars??

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The daihatsu naked: car is actually funnier than the name...

naked-46.gif

...I'm sure it comes in a blister pack, with plastic clips, screws, and a convenient allen key/screwdriver tool (to put it all together)

bongo friendee, joypop, vivio (which actually = 660, a reference to the cc), voxy ("the cool!"), homy, every, emina, acty, delica... welcome to japan

I don't mind so much the JDM names - the Japanese are producing them for the local market... and from what my g/f tells me (another one of those english teachers!) the Japanese don't have a very good grasp of english - so they can be excused.

However, it is the crap add on marketing names here that piss me off... and generally crap names here.

That said, was reading EVO last night and they reviewed the new 'Audi A3 Sportback Sport' :confused: someone really thought that one through

half the car names out already are gay, everyone's just got used to them

like what the hell is a pajero, jackaroo and whats the dilio with small cars and being invisible mirage, charade.

and then theres the 'impreza'  :uhh:

Pajero comes from a south american name for a ranch hand/cowboy. Only problem was when they released it in the North and Sth. American markets it quickly became apparent that the folks at Mitsubishi had not done their homework as it is also slang for Wanker! :P

I bought one knowing this fact so had no excuse. :)

Jackaroo - Are you serious? :confused: It's an Aussie cowboy you city slicker, you know what John Howard tries to look like when he's touring the outback.

love the mitsubishi "rvr super hyper sports gear r" wtf :confused:

someone got a little excited with the adjectives i think :(

also love the commodoore vacationer take a povo pack commodoore add some wheel covers and stickers and you have a whole new model yay!

what about daewoos tragic names like cielo, nubira and lanos did they put all the letters in a bucket and pick them out at random?

or toyota kluger sounds like something achmed the local kebab guy would have on his specials board. I am sure thats Osama's third cousins mates brothers name but anyway....

Pajero comes from a south american name for a ranch hand/cowboy. Only problem was when they released it in the North and Sth. American markets it quickly became apparent that the folks at Mitsubishi had not done their homework as it is also slang for Wanker! :(

I bought one knowing this fact so had no excuse. :P

Jackaroo -  Are you serious? :confused: It's an Aussie cowboy you city slicker, you know what John Howard tries to look like when he's touring the outback.

i see, no i thought jackaroo supposed to have something to do with kangaroos, what the hells a jumbuck then? i'm not up on cleatus's dictionary

Pajero comes from a south american name for a ranch hand/cowboy. Only problem was when they released it in the North and Sth. American markets it quickly became apparent that the folks at Mitsubishi had not done their homework as it is also slang for Wanker! :P

I bought one knowing this fact so had no excuse. :D

Jackaroo -  Are you serious? :confused: It's an Aussie cowboy you city slicker, you know what John Howard tries to look like when he's touring the outback.

THe R32 GTR and Type M's came out with Reebok editions :D

I saw some crappy suzuki or the likes called 'Chamonix'.

For those who don't know, Chamonix is a beauty mountain resort in the South Eastern part of France. It is a synonym to extreme sports and other death defying activities - the car certainly wasn't... The only death defying aspect of the car was it's crappy plastic frame which would crumble the split second it was impacted.

Hmmm... Debate on the Camry Sportivo - my old man bought one just over a year ago, and I took it for a test drive before he decided he was gonna make the purchase. I'd read in a few mags that the Sportivo had different suspension tuning to the rest of the range, and that the Sportivo tune was the only one that Toyota should have released the car with.

So, I had a chance to take lower-spec car out and try it against the Sportivo, and did notice a big difference between it and the regular-spec cars. The regular cars are sloppy in general, but the Sportivo is decently tight (considering its intended market) and has a good ride/handling compromise.

It's still not a sports car, but it shits all over my (standard except for 195/50/15 tyres on alloys) 10yo AE-92 Corolla, and the ride/handling compromise is better than the 2001 Audi A4 1.8t that he also owns. I dorve that yesterday, and although the handling is pretty good, I was pretty tired after my drive on less-than-perfect roads due to being jolted around on the too-tight suspension.

Depending on the quality of the roads, I think I'd rather drive the Camry over the Audi now - if only the old man hadn't decided that 4 cylinders was enough, and that he's too old now to press a clutch and drag a shifter around... Oh well, it's his car, so his decision.

As for stupid car names (and as I've posted in other threads before): who was the clown that decided "Hyundai" and "Excel" were appropriate together?

Nick T.