SAU Community

large rims requires fitting lower profile tyres with less sidewall flex, so you might experience tyre-hop or tyre skipping on the tarmac as you launch hard, reducing traction. in drag racing optimum traction is gained if ur car can squat down enough during hard launch. some larger rims also increases unsprung weight and requires more effort from the engine to spin it, therefore can reduce your acceleration rate.

Guest RedLineGTR

wouldnt it be better to get rims that are lightweight?? but nice and wide so you can rev it up at the line a bit more?? Bigger wheels/rims if just for looks add weight to the car. Cheers Rob

that's an option, but IMO 18" lightweight usually are pretty expensive and a rubber that wide are expensive too... especially if u had semi slicks and doing burnouts will wear it out quicker and send u broke after a few drag meets :-P

Stick the stockies back on, deflate them toabout 18psi and off ya go.  You'll also accelerate quicker with the smaller rolling diameter.

Let us know how ya go...

Adrian

thanks for the tip, i think i'll be putting the stockers back on. Will post up my results as it will be my first time at the drags :jump:

the thing is this. you max width, with a small wheel e.g. 15 inch to have max sidewall flex. the problem is 15 inch wheels are usually 6.5 inchs wide. which is shithouse.

It's like a balancing slider. if his 18s are 18 x 275, that is quite a bit wider than the stock tyres (205 or 225). if he's running nittos, the grip due to width may still be faster than the stockies even though they're heaps heavier.

Perfect wheel would be some nice light weight 15 x 10 inch wheels running slicks. yummy.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Hi fellow SAU members, I want to put coupe tail lights on my R32 sedan. I have been told it was as easy as changing the boot lid and the tail lights and possibly the rear bar. I have since found out that this is incorrect after buying the lights and boot. The coupe boot dosnt allow the boot to oprn on a sedan and the tail lights won't fit either. Has anyone done this or seen it done and could help me out with some guidance or instructions to get it done.
    • Noice one 👍 I've done a 1:16.300 at Watkins Glen, will keep at it. Still have to knock off half a second at Suzuka in the Roadster
    • Two golds! Struggled to get silver on Gran Valley.
    • Interesting that it has 2 to the USB stick. Are the ones to the USB stick different? Or labelled anything at all? Telstra 4G is Band 28 is the long range one you want, it's 700mHz. I'm trying to do some reading on the Cel-Fi stuff, but I can't find any decent info online that makes me feel comfortable being able to work out the sort of antennas we could get away to swapping it over to. The antennas I'm starting to do some stuff with at work, are a transparent antenna. They're designed to stick onto the window. Which means you wouldn't even have the antenna outside the car. Volkswagen have just started using the exact same types of antennas on some of their new cars (And from the same antenna manufacturer). But, RF stuff is a bit of a dark art some days, and getting it wrong in your car could make for a terrible waste of money trying to swap antennas :S
    • I'm not going to lie Duncan, Saturday and Sunday were pretty rough days. The sort of work I was doing would previously have ended up with me spending about an hour and a half chatting with Neil. Firstly about something I had a question about, and then both of us rambling off on tangents.  I think how Neil did things, and his attitude to getting it done is helping me in part to get this stuff done. Then I can actually do the things I enjoy more easily