SAU Community

Had a run with a GTIR!

drewecrome

Interesting stuff guys, a few things I noticed;

The Nissan SuperTourers (Primeras) never had more than 320 bhp, 240 kw or 200 rwkw. So I have no idea where this quote comes from

The BTCC Primeras were using a GTiR block in a naturally aspirated configuration to produce 400kw at the wheels.
The pictures below are of one of our Primeras, so I can speak from personal experience.

Just to even it up

the rex engine is further to the rear
It's a H4, so it has 2 cylinders in front of the axle line and then 2 cylinders in front of that. The SR20 is an I4 and transverse, so it has 4 cylinders in front of the axle line, but they are in line. So the centre of gravity of the H4 must be further forward than the I4.

The Sub might have better weight distribution, but not by much, if any at all. And if it has, it's not because the front is lighter, but because the rear is heavier. Plus it is canterlevered out from the rear axle line far more than the hatchback GTiR. Hardly an advantage.

To clear another one up that seems to have lingured, GTiR's most definitely have solid lfters and they have quad throttle bodies. Regardless, for a turbo engine I prefer the CA series over both the boat anchor FJ and the easily broken SR with the unstable rocker geometry.

In my humble opinion, both pale into insignificance compared to a GTR and even an Evo makes them irrelevant, if only the Mitsubishi cardigans had the gonads to keep selling them.:D

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting Sydneykid. I have been a long time subscriber to the UK GTiR mailing list and we had a factory nissan guy telling us all about it. I don't know if they were competing with 400+kw but I know that they were achieving these power figures. The CA is an awesome engine and certianly one of the most underestimated powerhouses around. Considering you can pick one up for $500 upwards I am suprised that there are not thousands of 1600's around with this engine conversion. Yes the rocker geometry of the SR is a little on the lacking side but with plenty of cheap fixes available (rocker stoppers) there is light at the end of the tunnel. I recently picked up a second hand set for $100 for my mate in Perth that is running a Stock S14 SR20 in his Rail. They are in the 7's with a stock turbo. Just out of curiosity, what block are you using? Yeah, the GTR and late model evo's are awesome cars but I still think the GTiR is better looking. I would trade up to an R34 thought. My mate just got one and it is very pretty. It is just not $60,000 faster than the GTiR so I think I will wait a while to get one.