SAU Community

Lap times - GTST vs GTR

Does anyone now what sort of difference there would be in lap times between say an R33 GTS25T and R33 GTR, in stock form around tracks like Oran park or Eastern Creek.

I know there would be a huge difference, however I'm just curious.

Not sure whether this was the right section for this thread.

S out.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHAHA - this thread is Gold.

It's a funny thing but it seems that the biggest depending factor on which car is faster is Latitude. The further South you get the faster the GTR's are but as you get North the GTS-T's seem to take over.

I mean down at Phillip Island the GTR's are close to 10s per lap faster. A little further North at Sandown its maybe 5s faster.

But as you get further North to tracks like Oran Park or Eastern Creek suddenly GTS-T's seem to be quicker. It would be great to test this theory at places like Symmonds Plains and Hidden Valley! What do you say we do these tests? Duncan? Roy? LOL

But the reason why this is the case is a mistery :confused:

:P

interesting theory there Snowman! I wonder if we get to the Northern Hemisphere, say the Nurburgring, will the GTSTs go so fast that they exceed the speed of light? :wassup:

The basic problem is that gtr drivers have small balls, thereby reducing the performance of the car...maybe there is more air pressure down south and they just shrink?

The quickest i have heard a basically stock r33 gtr do Eastern Creek is 1.49, it was Andrev the CAS driver and I think Merli was passengering. My basically stock gtst's best is 1.52....so about 3 seconds. Of course the gtr has at least 30-50% more power and Eastern Creek shows that up best.

At smaller tracks like wakefield my car has done a 1.10, and I don't know of any stockish gtrs to compare that too, but a 500hp gtr did a 1.08, so the gap really narrows on tighter tracks.

Around Oran Park south my gtr did 53 on road tyres, the gtst did 51.

Its funny that you say GTR drivers seem to have small balls when the tracks the GTR's are faster at are the ones where speed and commitment are what makes a fast lap time rather than pissy little tracks where you don't get out of 3rd gear.

I would be sure that the weight reduction benifits of small balls would be the reason why GTST's are faster around technical tracks surely?

interesting theory there Snowman!  I wonder if we get to the Northern Hemisphere, say the Nurburgring, will the GTSTs go so fast that they exceed the speed of light? :wassup:

I think its more of a Polar thing actually. So closer to the equator is good for GTST's but closer to the Poles is good for GTR's.

So I think the GTR's would own you at Nurburgring.

If both cars are in good condition and absolutley stock and you are comparing same models then id say the GTR may be a bit quicker for a given lap.

But there are so many variables such as tyres, ppl dont consider exhaust to be really a mod. Hell a std turbo / IC GTR can knock out 250rwkws, good luck to getting that sort of power form a GTST without IC and turbo upgrade.

That said if you give a GTST the same power as a GTR then i dont think there is much in it at all. Give me Doughboy's GTST and i think it would walk all over most modded GTRs. Then again give me TrustGTR's car and i think it would sh1t on GT3s:thumbsup:

Im with Duncan, most GTRs i see are slower then my GTST.:P My best with std turbo and road rubber at Eastern Creek was 1:56 and at Eakefield 1:13. That was with Whiteline susp, filter/exhaust/IC and std ECU limiting me to 180km/h down the straight at Eastern Creek...given no speed limiter im sure i would have got into the low 1:55s which is quicker then just about every GTR ive shared the track with:)

Then sticky rubber and i think my exhaust and susp mods would have allowed me to keep up with Duncans std R33:(

Mind you Wakefield trying to keep up with the SSS GTR was an entirely different kettle of fish so it should be with a GMS engine.

What the!?

i dont know the people driving these cars or the tracks but on what planet has a stock gtst ever been faster or even close to a stock GTR in track battles?

If they are both driven properly it should be no competition

What about upgraded gtsts? eg 250rwkw gtst vs 250rwkw gtr?

I'd think the Gtst would have the advantage on tigher/slower tracks since its lighter, easier on the tyres, and easier to throw into tight corners... but on the faster/not as tight tracks i'd think the GTR would be better...

Driver has a lot to do with it, roll out a 33GTR and 33GTST in factory form, no mods at all, no exaust, etc... same (good) driver, and i couldn't see how a gtst could beat a GTR... once you start throwing a little money into suspension and light power mods its starts to even out....

my opinion

At the end of the day they are both a hell of a lot of fun at the track:thumbsup:

...and taking drivers out of the equation...i have a vid with Richard Burns driving around a pommie track in an R33GTR vs Ferrari 355, 550, NSX, 911, 3000GT, Lotus Elise (Echo:)) M3 plus a few hot hatches and the UK Spec R33 GTR had the quickest lap time! :P

I cant see a std R33 keeping pace with that calibre of car:(

In seriousness - down here in Vic all the fast cars are GTR's and in NSW they are GTST's. But is seems in Vic all the serious track guys drive GTR's and in NSW the serious guys drive GTST's.

Next weekend down here will be interesting as we have a big track day with I think about 15 skylines attending. About half GTR's and half GTST's. We all know the fastest car will be Ben (GTR) but other than that it will be interesting to see how many GTST's will beat any of the GTR's.

Some might beat Emre - but he belongs in NSW! (LOL - just kidding mate!)