SAU Community

Black smoke after power fc install - HELP!!

I just installed a power fc into my r33 gtst and it was working fine. Upon installing this the wire to my air/fuel ratio came loose as it was just poked into the wiring loom. After installing and checking that the power fc worked I took it back apart and decided to split the wire to the o2 sensor piggyback the air/fuel gauge off it. I then started the car it was idling very very rough and black smoke was coming from the exhaust!!!

I took the piggyback off to the air/fuel gauage and the problem is still there. I put the old computer back in and it idle better and no black smoke but there was a vapour still coming out of the exhaust and it really smells! I have now put the power fc back in and black smoke is still coming out.

What is the problem. Please help!!!!

Thanks.

Yes might have dammaged the o2 sensor.

On the Power FC go the ETC setting and then Function select and under their look for the o/2 feed back control turn that off. (It's in jap the On/off but you'll figure it out :))

This setting has to be turn off if your o/2 sensor is dammaged.

What other modifications have been done to the car ?

Turned off o2 feed back control and i think it has helped abit, but still fumes, vapour coming out the exhuast and a very rough idle.

I will get another o2 sensor tomorrow (will try for genuine but will get el falcon if cant go geniune). If I install this and it fixes the problem, should I try and plug the air/fuel ratio back in?

Other mods to my car is, exhaust, pod filter, blitz bov, tein ha suspension and I have a gfb atomic boost controller.

Thanks.

The Power fc's come out from the factory tuned rich. But what your describing sounds like someones played with it before hand....

Start the car up, goto SETTINGS menu then ing/inj setting then pull some fuel from it and see if it fixes it a little. As this setting alows you to pull fuel from the whole map not individal points. And when you turn the car off and on again it will rest set this back to how it was before you changed it.

Other wise get it tuned and see how it goes.

hope that helps,

:)

The black smoke has gone but can still see vapour coming out the exhaust which I believe to be excess fuel so I would say you are right and its running very very rich.

Is it safe to drive it in this condition???

Thanks heaps for your help.

what colour is the vapour?

but first things first...how do you "see" the "vapour" ? if you could see it, wouldn't it be considered "smoke" ?

I once accidently left the O2 sensor disconnected on my silvia after working on the exhaust manifold and it blew out HEAPS of black smoke.

Only thing I can think of is you might damage your cat if you decide to drive.

Bugger if you've damaged it - they're expensive to replace aren't they??

The black smoke has gone but can still see vapour coming out the exhaust which I believe to be excess fuel so I would say you are right and its running very very rich.

Is it safe to drive it in this condition???

Thanks heaps for your help.

Yes it is safe to drive in this condition, As its better to be running rich then lean.

Most skylines run rich on idle, thats why you can see vapours comming out the exhaust. But once your put the motor under load it should be running the correct Air / fuel mix. But get your o2 sensor checked / replaced and it should fix the problem. If not the wire mite not be making a proper connection in the ECU loom. Get an auto elect to re-tap the wire.

Yes it is safe to drive in this condition, As its better to be running rich then lean.

Most skylines run rich on idle, thats why you can see vapours comming out the exhaust. But once your put the motor under load it should be running the correct Air / fuel mix. But get your o2 sensor checked / replaced and it should fix the problem. If not the wire mite not be making a proper connection in the ECU loom. Get an auto elect to re-tap the wire.

Yeah it is definately just runing very rich. I will take it for a drive tomorrow and see how it goes. How do I make it a bit learner using the power fc?

As BBQ said its safe to drive.

But this can cause fowling of your spark plugs and a very expensive fuel bill !!!

I explained that up above, Going into settings than ing/inj setting than taking fuel from the inj correction function. Dont take too much out that the car leans out. Watch your knock level's under monitor menu. - This setting takes the amount that you pull or add eg 2 % it takes that from the whole inj map (But you'll have to do it evertime you start the car)

Its a lot easier than taking fuel out of the fuel map, I wouldnt recomend doing it inless you have a wideband o/2 sensor, or put it on a dyno and monitor a/f ratios, plus this can take some time with the hand controller. :D

Their's another way of leaning out the fuel mixture but not using the power fc. You have to add negative pressure to the vacume line that goes from your fuel rail pressure regulator to the intake plenum.

hope that helps,

:D

Jun