SAU Community

R33 Skyline or RZ TT 6 spd. Supra ?

nismo33

Lithium, you are right in some ways, I know the gtst is 100 k lighter, and if you have an RB30 in it, has to be iqually matched with a strong gearbox, so u'd have to dish out the standard gearbox on the gtst, and go for some heavy duty box and that means its going to be heavier, Supra comes with a standard Getrag gearbox, what a freebie hey. Mind you my R33 GTR was heavier than my supra, the auto supra is 1500 kilos, the manual soops is 1400 kilos. And obviously the GTR is going to be quicker 0-100, but after that its all about the Soops.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey thanks guys... this thread is getting into more like a debate now between two cars.. I gotta admit that i love my line...it's actually the best car i had by far... and personally i do like the looks of a supra...nonetheless-- not very many of them on the road..but i wanna be for sure that i am not replacing my line over something that is less.

i have thought of putting all of this money into modifying the GTST instead,..sure i'd get alot out of it...but then,..i always fond of owning one of them Supras.

performance wise though,. Yup,. Supra's alot more expensive to modify..but i think it's worth it...well,..nothing is cheap in terms of modifying anyway,.we always want what is best for our ride aren't we ?

i would like to know is if it Handles way better than the Line..and if its worth replacing my line to a supra.

ok, i'll give you a definative answer.

BTW, i have a skyline, so i'm not knocking em or anything. Looks wise, i think outside looks a lot better, because it's got those side airvents, with a nice kit, looks juicy. Interior also looks more interesting. Skyline looks like a standard family car inside.

Comparing to gtr

Performance wise, apart from the awd of the gtr, supra seems to put out more power with stock internals, has a stronger box, and is also lighter than a gtr, therefore more nimble around twisties.

Comparing to gtst

heaps more power. only a little bit heavier - gtst - 1370, supra, 1440. Handling wise is very similar for both. As most supras and skliynes have aftermarket susp bits, the handling is determined by these. A nice set of coilovers will do very nicely for both, so they are in similar boats.

Value for money

gtst is value for money around 20 000 will get you a decent 96 gtst. you'd only get a 93 supra probably for that price, and it will be getting tired. you'd be looking at least 25-30 for a newer one.

ALso consider this though. Internals are forged. Handle big power. Gtst are not that strong inside. Also, gtst turbos are weak - ceramic turbine. Just stick an ebc into the supra, and fmic, ecu, you'd be pushing low 12s, high 11s with stock turbs. Isn't this what we do with our gtsts and only manage low 13s high 12s.

All other mods cost the same as for skylines. e.g. a new turbo is not going to cost anymore - just different flanges, manifold.

I've got a gtst, and i'd say the supra would be an upgrade over getting a gtr

krzysiu, Get your facts right mate, HPI also did a comparo between the two cars, mind you the GTR had an exhaust system, the supra stock as, Gtr 13.5 in the quarter, Supra 13.7, so I believe what I read from an article/comparo done on the two cars stock (mind you the GTR had the exhaust system), and who now days drives a stock car anyway.

who is the fcuk was driving these cars? a 2 yr old?

stock gtr is 12.8 sec 1/4 mile

stock supra is 13.4 secs 1/4 mile

they both have the pro's and cons but we were talking between gtst and rz

if u can afford it, buy the supra dude.

to be honest, i find a stock gtr boring. i prefer my gtst

check out www.t04r.com for the tuning potential... mmMM...

and www.supraforums.com for styling. sign up as a member and goto the members rides section.

otherwise, find a mate with a supra, or go test drive one. see which u like, will differ from driver to driver. seems we're getting a lot of opinions here based on what car ppl own and what they read in magazines / see in videos.

Yeh supras are nice :P

I wouldnt mind one just so i could wack a big turbo on and not worry :D

Plus they look sweet :boobies2:

Also 93-96 models are a bit cheaper than equivelant model 33GTRs

Have u test drove any yet?

yes, I got one after I sold the GTR, Im in the process of buying a T72 turbonetics turbo kit, injectors and computer, hoping 4 an 11.2 pass on street tyre (semi slicks). In the US there is countless soops making 10 secs on stock int, Ice supra in aus 10.9 with 380 rwkw stock int. Im pretty sure theres a few supras in the supra Club making over 442rwkw, 410rwkw. Read latest Speed magazine.

who is the fcuk was driving these cars? a 2 yr old?

stock gtr is 12.8 sec 1/4 mile

stock supra is 13.4 secs 1/4 mile

they both have the pro's and cons but we were talking between gtst and rz

if u can afford it, buy the supra dude.

to be honest, i find a stock gtr boring. i prefer my gtst

Hey, no offence, but have you been in a stock gtr/supra rz?

i have not been in a supra, but have been in a couple of GTRs, and i would pay to see a STOCK r33 gtr run 12.8. with a decent launch i doubt you could run less than mid to late 13s. i would say closer to late 13s.

and i mean real times as in go to wsid not out of a magazine or something.

People...people... i am trying to compare the GTST to a Supra...YES...GTR's are awesome.. but i am talking a stock.. Stock GTR's i gotta admit still go looking like a normal skyline.. unless this is a modify one...then yeah sure,..why not.

I have a GTST...never drove,.nor been into either SUPRA or GTR...i know how my car handles though...but have no idea what Supra's are like.

People who own a SUPRA and who previously owned or still own a GTST.. what's it like driving around with your supra's compare to your GTST's ?

Man,

I just sold my 94 TT supra. There is no way you can compare the two cars. I have driven a friend gtst a number of times, always keen to get out so i can get back in my car. The Supra has GREAT suspension, saying this, if u want to get sideways its still very easy. The only major down thing about them is parts. I found it very hard to find anything for it. Put it this way, from a gtst you will be very impressed. Saying this i sold it to buy a GTR...... Everyone talks about how strong the gearboxes are, but i went through 3 lots of clutches trying to support everthing else.

siksII: take a look around, its happening all the time. look in all the mags etc, im sure ull find it quite clearly

yes i have drove a stock r33 gtr vspec but not a stock supra so i cant say much bout the supra

At least Elgtr agrees...

kamakaze33 dont believe all that you read in magazines. ESPECIALLY import ones that seem to come out with wacky unrealistic times.

im talking about real life, no magazine BS. go try it one day, or find a friend with a stock gtr, and take it for a good run and believe me then you will realise there is no way it will run 12s...

At least Elgtr agrees...

kamakaze33 dont believe all that you read in magazines. ESPECIALLY import ones that seem to come out with wacky unrealistic times.

im talking about real life, no magazine BS. go try it one day, or find a friend with a stock gtr, and take it for a good run and believe me then you will realise there is no way it will run 12s...

mine ran 13.2 stock as a rock. I have since removed the boost restrictor (boost went up from 12-14.5psi, and an extra 22AWKW. I would still consider it stock and I think it will get close to a 12 now.

At least Elgtr agrees...

My brothers dead stock 33GTR ran 13.2. he has since removed the boost restrictor (boost up from 12-14psi) and got an extra 22 or so AWKW.

I would still consider it stock and I think it would get close to breaking into the 12's. if you have a good clutch, tyres, launch at 7G+ and have a good fresh motor it is possible to get these sort of times.

Good fresh motor??????.

Producing good power and in a generally healthy state...

ive been in another friends stock GTR with a full exhaust and it runs less boost and doesn't seem as responsive and powerful as my brothers....although this is only one example