SAU Community

Why are Skyline GTRs AWD?

It's marketing driven, the advertising agencies did a survey and asked Joe Public what "Four Wheel Drive" meant? Joe Public said big, heavy, gas guzzling waggon that can go off road but hardly ever does.

This is not what Audi/Subaru/VW/Porsche wanted to hear. The advertising agencies invented "All Wheel Drive" to distinguish their cars that drive on the road, from the "Four Wheel Drive" that bashes bushes.

Nissan made GTR's to win in Group A and they did, so they were banned.

Audi copied with the Quattro in SuperTouring and they won too, so they were banned.

Now we are stuck with Commondoors and Foulcans.

:)

The lower spec models (GTS-T' date=' GT-T) are all RWD.

Except the GTS-4 :)

BTW, is there any difference between the (R32) GTS-4 AWD setup and the GTR?[/quote']

Gearbox is slightly weaker..

I hate the whole AWD - 4WD argument.

Go and try and talk about it on an American forums.. they will try and chew your head off if you call a WRX 4WD..

I doesn't matter to me, if it has 4 Wheels driving, it's 4WD! :D

I think SK hit the nail on the head... it's a marketing "lets change the name around to fool some people" crap..

Hahahaha guys, this is what i've learned

AWD - all wheel drive means all 4 wheels moving all the time

4WD - You can choose to be 2WD or 4WD, u noticed that those REAL 4WD vehicles like Landrover or Pajero has another gear that allows you to engaged from 2WD to 4WD.

FWD/RWD - don't need to explain that.

Just my 2 cents

Gearbox is slightly weaker..

I hate the whole AWD - 4WD argument.

Go and try and talk about it on an American forums.. they will try and chew your head off if you call a WRX 4WD..

I doesn't matter to me, if it has 4 Wheels driving, it's 4WD! :P

I think SK hit the nail on the head... it's a marketing "lets change the name around to fool some people" crap..

AWD and 4WD

AWD esentially has its power delivered variably between the front and the read (via diff, torque spliter, viscous coupling, whatever) if 1 wheel has no traction then the car will slip.

4WD is locked (ie equal power delivered to the rear/forward and its locked) so you have to have 1 rear wheel and 1 front wheel spinning before you start to slip.

this asumes no LSD in the above setups

GT-R's are closer to a 4WD system than a AWD

note some AWD's have a lock for the central diff basicaly turning them into a 4WD

Go for a ride in a GTR and then a WRX.

Ones got both the advatage of both rear wheel drive and front wheel drive and the rexy is locked 4wd :)

You can disconect your gtr to make it rwd which can be handy for what ever reason :). - Take out front drive shaft (5min + 4bolts)

:)

Jun

from carpoint...............

"4WD demystified

The term four-wheel drive (4WD) doesn't make all 4WD systems the same. In fact, there's a huge variation in features and design of what seems a simple principle - getting power to four wheels. Here's a simple, postage stamp description of what '4WD' is…

Part-time 4WD

Rear-wheel drive only for dry, paved surfaces while the driver manually selects 4WD via electronic activation (a switch on the dash), or by the transfer lever on the floor. When 4WD is engaged, the transfer case locks in so power is split equally between front and rear wheel sets.

Advantages: Simplicity and less wear and tear on mechanical components, and slightly lower fuel consumption in 2WD mode.

Disadvantages: 4WD can be used only on slippery surfaces (such as dirt or gravel roads, or very wet paved roads) or transfer case damage can occur.

Full-time 4WD

Keeps all four wheels at the ready to receive power at all times. In extreme conditions you can be stuck with one wheel spinning, so most have other traction aids, from a simple locking centre diff (which makes the system effectively part-time), to electronic traction control.

Advantages: Gives 4WD grip in all but the slipperiest situations, no levers or buttons to flick, until it gets really slippery.

Disadvantages: Isn't truly 4WD on low traction surfaces when left to its own devices (unless traction control or locking/limited slip diffs are also fitted).

Selectable 4WD

A full-time 4WD system that you can choose to drive in either 2WD, like a part-time 4WD, or full-time 4WD on paved surfaces.

Advantages: Best of both worlds.

Disadvantages: Complex system.

On-demand 4WD

Takes the best of part-time and full-time systems and attempts to combine them in a foolproof, user-friendly system. No 4WD expertise is required. Basically, the car runs in two-wheel drive until the system (which can be electronic, hydraulic or a combination of both) senses that one axle is spinning faster than the other and shuttles power to the 'dead' axle.

Advantages: Less drag on components, potentially allowing better performance and economy than full-time; user-friendly.

Disadvantages: Some systems are slow to engage 4WD and are complex (read: expensive) should it all go wrong."

I argue that AWD and 4WD are different!

Jensen FF inteceptor CONSTANT AWD

Range Rover CONSTANT AWD

GXL + Cruisers CONSTANT AWD

= constant power transmitted to front and rear

GTR 4WD

Prior to GU Patrol 4WD

Rav4 4WD

Pathfinder 4WD

= selectable 2WD/4WD (either manual/electronic)

it's not that hard, like everything - you should not beleive everything you read / hear. You should always do your own research.

So DAN00H the Lancer Evolution 8 is 4WD and the Lancer Evolution 8 RS is AWD?

It is a rediculous situation to make such a distinction.

Nobody has quoted any sources apart from The_Paladin and nothing I can find is even remotely convincing that there is a specific or technical distinction between them.