SAU Community

When did Skylines become FI?

Hiya, question I was just thinknig about today... Were C210/C211's ever fuel injected? I thought they were, but come to think of it I don't think I've seen any pics...:

I have seen a few (very few) fuel injected C210's in Melbourne, but the vast majority were carb'd. If these were imported by Nissan for official sale it was late in the piece, probably just before the R30 was introduced in 1982.

In other markets the EFI C210 was sold well before that. The factory parts book for the C210 shows that EFI was used as early as 1978 in the English/European market, and its probable that the Japanese domestic market got at least the same.

In Australia the first Nissan model to get EFI 'officially' was the 280ZX in 1978. As far as I'm aware, the first Nissan model to get EFI was the 280Z in 1975, although that was a USA only vehicle.

Hiya, question I was just thinknig about today... Were C210/C211's ever fuel injected? I thought they were, but come to think of it I don't think I've seen any pics...

If so, when did they convert?

:bond:

Lachlan, you disappoint me!

The C210 was available as a GT-Turbo with ECCS (digital) EFI, as well as the analogue system. One of the first EFI Nissans was the LY25 fitted to the 240Z in 1973, but that was experimental not production.

Here's a couple of C211's;

http://www.autozebra.co.jp/zaiko/neonos/20.../neonos6825.htm

http://www.autozebra.co.jp/zaiko/neonos/20.../neonos6608.htm

One of the first EFI Nissans was the LY25 fitted to the 240Z in 1973, but that was experimental not production.

Hi Ben ( and Lachlan ),

If 'experimental' and 'race' applications count, then the LR24 was injected before the LY. The S20 was injected before both of them.

I would have thought that the GRX would have had a pretty good claim to being one of the first injected "Nissan" branded engines?

Hi Ben,

I haven't been lurking all that long, honest!

I'm just dipping my toe in the water here a little.......

Lachlan, did you get to the bottom of the original question? I think I must have the answer somewhere ( buried in a load of literature ) but its not all that easy to find it.....

Hi Alan - couldn't resist eh? Yes I think Ben hit it home saying that the C210 was available with both EFI and Carb from the word "go"... I had thought that... but I think I was writing that question too fast (yes, an off day Ben!!) - I was more interested in what happened in the Australian market - Steve said that he thinks it was only EFI nearing the release of the R30. I bought a C210 Service Manual from Ebay just for fun - perhaps it may give a bit more of a specific insight.

Thanks Steve, Ben, Alan for sharing knowledge. Very interesting.. Alan, you mentioned a FI S20 engine - what was that fitted in?

This forum sure does have some strange smilies...

:bananaman :microwave :whip:

Alan, you mentioned a FI S20 engine - what was that fitted in?

I'm hoping Alan can elaborate, but if you can check the "works" GT-Rs around 1970-1971 I think you'll find some were fitted with injection. I have pics "somewhere safe"?! ...can't find 'em :)

Jim.

Great stuff Alan, thankyou. The second shot ...with chappy in engine bay, I notice what looks like a 4door PGC10 racer in background. Any chance the car being worked on is also a 4door? Just wondering if any reference with photo.

Cheers,

Jim.

Hi Jim,

The photo in question was taken on the grid of the TS support race at the 1969 Japan Grand Prix meeting. It is indeed a Works PGC10 ( 4 door ).

Cheers,

Alan T.

hmm on the topic i believe in some markets that the C210 came out with an injected L18(E)

wanting to verify this as a while back i had an injection manifold setup i was going to put on my bluebird (L20b), never bothered cos apparently unless i was gonna do some extensive mods (which i wasn't) it would more likely hinder performance rather than gain, due to the smaller port size on the L18 (and in the runners of the manifold).

apparently unless i was gonna do some extensive mods (which i wasn't) it would more likely hinder performance rather than gain, due to the smaller port size on the L18 (and in the runners of the manifold).

I doubt that it would have hindered performance at all....

All you would have had to do is an extrude hone job on the manifold with the L18 head still attached.

L20b block with an L18 head is THE best combo for power due to the unique combustion chamber shape and size.

I had a L20b bored 60 thou with *mild* port job done on a L18 head...extractors and pissy little 40mm dellorto's and managed a high 14 in a datto 1600 with about 65kg's of sound system installed.....

You were told wrong.

oh yeah....i had dished pistons in that motor too, as i was going to supercharge it, but never got around to it....so it had shitty comp(exactly what it was i dont know)

I doubt that it would have hindered performance at all....

All you would have had to do is an extrude hone job on the manifold with the L18 head still attached.

L20b block with an L18 head is THE best combo for power due to the unique combustion chamber shape and size.

I had a L20b bored 60 thou with *mild* port job done on a L18 head...extractors and pissy little 40mm dellorto's and managed a high 14 in a datto 1600 with about 65kg's of sound system installed.....

You were told wrong.

oh yeah....i had dished pistons in that motor too, as i was going to supercharge it, but never got around to it....so it had shitty comp(exactly what it was i dont know)

Yeh i wasn't really sure what i was gonna do with it, was young and absent minded. I had one of those closed chamber (peanut shaped) A87 heads off some L18 SSS engine.

by extruded hone, you mean for the injectors? or the runners?

sorta wished i had done something with that now instead of selling it off. nice stroked L20 with injection and some form of forced induction. ah well i can't wait to drive the skyline again get that old L28 roaring!

quote : by extruded hone, you mean for the injectors? or the runners?

runners....the injectors would have been your only downfall i think, but L28et ones would probably have fit and been more than adequate for a mid-spec tune

also, yeah thats the head i was talking about...thats what i had