SAU Community

Skyline vs Supra

SliM

Hi guys,

evo_lee is actually right, the JZA80 (latest shape supra 1400's for manual and 1500 for the auto) is actually lighter than most GTR's I think its the same or a little more hevier than the 32Gtr, the older supra is the heavy one it weighs between 1500kilos for manual and 1600 kilos for the auto, most people get that wrong, I guess the fat looking supra is deceiving. When I had my R33 Gtr, with boost, exhaust and piggy back, I raced my mate in his RZ with similar mods, I shited all over him 1st and 2nd, he caught up as soon as I shifted to 3rd and past me, and I could not catch up. Well I guess I had the first 100 meters won, but supra had the rest.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend with a stock tt supra (exhaust) and my stock 33 GTR beats it easy from standing starts all the way to top of third. Its closer from rolling starts although the gtr pulls away a bit.

not sure what it would be like if both had a few mods, although I couldnt imagine him catching me in 1/4mile run unless he had quite a bit more power than me.

A stock RZ will pass you sooner than later, stock for stock with limiter removed they also top out at 279km/h compared to a BCNR33 at 262km/h. A stock BNR32 top out at 248km/h, not bad for an old car but anything newer ie. CP+ Evo, Series 6+ FD, GTO, Aristo, B4 RSK, Z32 will pass it...even a R33 25GT turbo etc will eventually hunt it down.

*Source: Option magazine speed ring test back a few years now.

Being a circuit racer this is a simple question for me to answer, an equally modified GTR will easily lap a Supra in any race with a distance over ~20 minutes. If it's raining, it will take half as long. The GTR was designed and engineered to do exactly that, and it did it everywhere in the world, on almost every race track and against all opposition. It would be simply impossible for a Supra to duplicate that, they do not have the chassis or the drive train engineering to even get close.

For the drag racing guys, show me a Supra that can do 9's on Federal radials.:wave:

for those of you who are interested here are two vid clips one of a stock supra and a stock 33 GTR (1/4 and top speed), the other of modded supra and modded 34 GTR back to back testing on a track.

hope it works, the results speak for themselves

Since You CLEARLY Have Trouble Using The Search Button Slim - I Have Dug Up A Bunch Of Useless Old Supra Threads For You To Look At..

Num Nuts!!

edit ok, whilst that was fun digging up old threads.. it was a little too much heresy in here so they have gone back to whence they came.. but believe it or not, there are plenty of old threads on exactly the same topic..

why do you say they are on the wrong side?

why is there a wrong side for turbos? do you mean from a HEAT from exhaust point of view?

SK - do you have any experience in the 2jzgte and what is your impression of it?

I have my own opinion but you do have a shit load more experience in the technical side of things.

so can you see any downsides to the supra engine apart from the ceramic wheeled turbos?

do you see any weak points in them like you see in the SR20's rockers?

As for my option, I'd take the supra TT over both the GTST and GTR..

I just don't like the 4wd thing anymore..  been burnt once too many times..

and you can't compare a GTST to a supra TT.. there is no contest

NOTE: I still love GTR's but don't want to own one.

turbo's on the 'wrong side' from what i understand is that the supra was made for the american market where its LHD and the steering items are all on the opposite side of the engine bay to australia.

so with two turbo's and a steering column on the same side in oz/japan then it can get cramped for space and airflow. gets hot in there me would thinks.

what about that stupid supra interior? miles behind the gtr...

what about that chunky supra arse? "that's a HUGE bitch!"...

i'll take a gtr 7 days of the week thanks.

cheers,

Waz.

lol well it aint that i cant find the search button, but i aint interested in a websites opinions..........i want the opinins of men who know exactly what they are talking about and who have experience in the matter they r deliberating about.......

better than any website in my opinion, plus i think it is a good subject to look at.............i am sorry if i hurt ur feeling bro by asking people's opinions.

Plus i will admit it i did it abit for myself, becoz i am looknig to buy a car, i noticed in general Supras are cheaper than R34 Skylines.........so i was curious what other people thought about them whether they r even worth lookin at..........i mean i think Skyline drivers have the best taste and i figure the same thought would have crossed the minds of many guys o nthis forum of buying a Supra..............

lol well it aint that i cant find the search button, but i wanna know peeps opinions now, not months ago.........i want the opinins of men who know exactly what they are talking about and who have experience in the matter they r deliberating about.......

better than any website in my opinion, plus i think it is a good subject to look at.............i am sorry if i hurt ur feeling bro by asking people's opinions.

Plus i will admit it i did it abit for myself, becoz i am looknig to buy a car, i noticed in general Supras are cheaper than R34 Skylines.........so i was curious what other people thought about them whether they r even worth lookin at..........i mean i think Skyline drivers have the best taste and i figure the same thought would have crossed the minds of many guys o nthis forum of buying a Supra

I like supras, i like RX-7, i like EVOs and i like Skylines a bit more... i'd love a Ferrari, i want a Bugatti Veyron!!!!

You can compare speed times over the quarter mile any which way and a lot comes down to the driver, but you need to also consider as someone earlier (SK i think) that GT-R were designed to kick ass on circuits. i reckon that skylines are better on circuits, but take a look at how many GT-R's or GT-S's do sub 9 times, a lot of those cars (sub 9) are rotary's (heaps RX-7). correct me if i'm wrong but a GTS-t hold the fastest Skyline time over the 1/4?

I think there are "street" tyred Supras in the low 8s... if not almost quicker! Probably not Federals hahaha... but still. Supras have definately proved their worth on the track as well.... the 2JZ > RB26 for power making potential, that has been proven time and time again - in both stockish form, and with the works.

I remember reading about why some of the japs replaced the 2jz for the rb26.

it was said that when they were producing close to 1000hp, the 2jz had ALOT more torque than the rb26 at the same tune level, and the sheer amount of twisting force from the 2jz just kept smashing clutches, boxes, diffs, etc.. whereas the rb26 needed more revs to produce the same power and therefore the torque wasn't as harsh in the way that it came on and this didn't break so many parts.

as for why I wouldn't want another 4wd... COST.

everything costs more.

gearboxes are more expensive.

you have front CV's.

you have a transfer case.

you need a tougher clutch.

All of those cost alot more than a normal FR setup car.

Besides, I am not likely to go chasing drag or circuit times too frequently, and therefore a GTR would be wasted on me.

and my money would be wasted on it.

the other thing is the engine..

I personally prefer to be able to get torque all the time and not have to rev the thing out..

the RB26 is a beautiful thing and as mentioned was built with circuit racing in mind so it has the ability and NEED to rev.

the supra is happy to pull comfortably from 100km/h in 6th gear and about 2000rpm.

this is a lot more important to me than seeing the rev needle over 8000rpm.

Hey SliM,

I recently had to make this same decision. Buy a Supra MKIV TT or a Skyline R34 GT-T (actuall Sylvia S15 was another option). Everyone here seems to be concentrating only on power and speed. Although I LOVE these things, they are not all that matters when buying a street car.

I went with the R34 GT-T in the end, and I am not disappointed! I have actually driven both, and would recommend you do before buying to see what suits YOU best. But some of the points theat made me choose R34 were:

* I was looking for a "newer" car. Supras have a dated look, R34's look meaner. A 1996 TT MKIV costs more than a 1998 R34 GT-T and generally the MKIVs have done more kms. Try comparing the price of a 1998 MKIV TT to a 1998 R34 GT-T

* R34's are rarer on the streets

* If I was getting a MKIV I would want it to be Aerotop - but you can't get Aero top with TT because the chassis can't handle it.

* I hear that modifying a TT is much more hassel than a single T.

Having said all that, both are awesome cars, it was a close decision in the end for me - I still twist my neck when I see a MKIV on the road :rant:

Why is the GTR not in my choices? Because R32 and R33 GT-R's were too old for my selection criteria and R34's cost double the other cars so don't really fit into this comparison. Remember car old = car problems.

Hope this helps,

Jarred

Good reasoning :rant: A lot of people overlook the actual owning of the car., this is how I decided on a R33 GTS25t, sure there is faster - but its a joy to own for the price.

I wonder why the japs never went with the 1JZGTEs if the torque of the 2JZ was the issue!?