SAU Community

Purchasing a second hand vehicle

Mmm the website was notoriously vague if the car is encumbered. Presuming that it is, and that the seller using the payment to pay off that debt, how can you satisfy that requirement?

Last thing you want is repo men coming after you for the car.... also is there any consumer protection at all if you buy a car, do the checks and it comes up clear yet down the line you find out its stolen?

- J.

Mmm the website was notoriously vague if the car is encumbered.  

http://www.revs.nsw.gov.au/buyguide/private.htm

...If you purchase a vehicle from a private seller who has an outstanding loan attached to the vehicle (this is called an encumbrance), the vehicle could be repossessed and you could lose your money.

I dont understand what is ambiguous here. If the vehicle has a secured loan behind it then REVS would know about it. If the loan is unsecured then they cant touch the car.

If you ring up for a revs check you can opt to pay for them to send you out a certificate. If you do this and it later turns out that the car is encumbered then I believe that your covered. But It's been a while since I used the service so I'd advise ringing them to find out for certain.

That website is NSW, different in VIC, but there is a number you can call that can run a search on the VIN for you, and give you a insurance policy/statement against it being repossesed etc, cost about 20 bucks or free if you dont want the statement....

look on vicroads website or call them and ask for the number

That website is NSW, different in VIC, but there is a number you can call that can run a search on the VIN for you, and give you a insurance policy/statement against it being repossesed etc, cost about 20 bucks or free if you dont want the statement....

look on vicroads website or call them and ask for the number

Figured there would be a Vicroads equivalent anyway. Groovy. :cooldance Thanks :D

- J.