SAU Community

Sony's new PStwo

prae

had the original chunky PS2 and then sold it. now all the good games are comin out so i got the new slimline PS2. No problems yet.... hopefully!! my friend told me to take the game out of the console when not in use... something to do with the laser. who knows?!! ahwell.. i bet it'll stuff up in 12 months and 1 day, so i can't get warranty for it :cheers:

From www.1tronic.com's main page.

============================

9-11-04 - NEWSFLASH

New Model PSTWO (v12)

pstwo.gif

(The tiny new slimline PSTWO - Yes that is GT4 in the drive, NO, you can't buy it off me :P )

The new DMS4 modchip is now in stock and working in the new PSTWO, however:

As many people are now aware, there are some serious issues with the new V12 console. Many people have reported the laser on these consoles burning out rendering the console near useless. Both modified and un-modified consoles are reported to suffer from this problem, you are equally at risk of laser burnout even if your v12 does not have a chip fitted.

1tronic.com will NOT be continuing to chip PSTWO until we feel a suitable fix has been found for this problem or Sony release another model with a revised motherboard (as they often have in the past in similar situations)

Watch this space for more news on this issue as it breaks!

Subscribe HERE with your name and phone number to receive an email when we are chipping this model again with details & pricing etc.

i think most of these 'slimline ps2' wives tales are made up by people who are living in the dark ages with the chunky ps2.  

They have ps2 size envy.  

"Mines smaller than yours" :P

Probally, but is it worth the risk? There is a bit of evidence out there that these PStwos do stuff up so im going to wait a while before I get one. Keep this topic updated, I want to know when this problem is fixed.

Thanks

its pretty pathetic, they cannont get a simple ps2 right, with so many fking revisions. evertime i open my laptop cd drive i look at it, its half the size it takes 10 times the beating and it hasnt skipped a beat, its not that hard for them to get it right,

also, regarding the v10 being a pos, had 1 kill a lazer, had one just start black screening, and had a v6 iirc, that always froze midgame

a friend of mine had a ps2 and the new, one, side by side in GTA and he reckons the old one had better graphics :kick:

• 4 weeks later...

I'll NEVER replace my old PS2.

Where's the hard drive go in the new one ???

Kind of makes HDLoader/HDadvance useless.

I have about 40 games that load directly off the HD, in about a third of the load time !

No stress on the laser assembly, which is the key failure in the PSTwo.

There is a whole bunch of cool homebrew apps for your "chunky" PS2.

Check out www.eurasia.nu the best console hacking source on the www.

They are now reliably chippable but what a pain in the arse!!!

A specially programmed 12c508 IC is wired in with the chip and when the laser gets too hot it clips the power to the LCU for a fraction of a second vastly extending the life of your PS2.

Another case of chippers fixing Sony's phuckups. :P

Adrian