SAU Community

weird OIL PRESSURE!!

GTR4ever

hi guys..

well, i was driving around today, cool weather, i looked at the pressure gauge and it was around the 2 mark.. , mins later, i thought id hit it in 3rd gear, and for some reason, i glanced at the pressure gauge again...

it was reaching the 7 mark!!! wtf???

i slow down, and its back to around 3 mark

it never reached that high b4.. and am getting really worried...

does any one knows what it means??

Don't rely on the factory gauge for absolute values, it is only a guide. Your varying readings could be due to electronic 'glitches' (eg corroded/poor/loose electrical connections ) or a fault in the gauge or sender.

Best thing to do if your concerned is get hold of an accurate (preferable calibrated) mechanical OP gauge and do some tests using that. The gauge could be plumbed in at the oil pressure sender using a 'T' adaptor.

SteveL, thanx for the replay..

but just for the sake of it, lets assume i already have an accurate after market gauge, what would this high reading indicate??

Oil pressure in RB's is controlled by the by-pass spring (and plunger) in the oil pump. It's possible the plunger is sticking, but to check requires removing the sump, but would be unusual.

You say it was cold....but was the engine cold ??, and what grade oil are you using ??

Ever since ive had my GTR the oil pressure on cold sits on 8 (standard gauge) and by the time its warm it drops down to just under 6. Haven't been bothered enough to put an aftermarket gauge on to check it out yet.. Everythings fine though

my aftermarket gauge is funny to, when i start my car up its at about 7, and after i drive it stays at about 4, then hen i boos it goes to 7 and at full boost it drops down to about 2, stupid gasuges dont know whats happening here.