SAU Community

Big Earthquake hits Japan

Demon Dave

At least 13 people have died and more than 700 have been injured in a series of earthquakes and aftershocks which shook northern Japan for several hours.

more details here

Not good news. Felt pretty bad here in Yamanashi - things were shaking around. Worst thing was I was sat at home, alone, watching TV. You suddenly start getting all these alerts flashing across the TV and if you don't read a lot of Kanji it's difficult to understand. Bit unnerving since for all I knew it was saying: This is the BIG one, get the hell out of your house!

But seriously, very bad news - my condolences go out to anyone who lost family...

typhoons....earthquakes....living it Japan has it's downsides :P

I didn't feel a thing... in fact I didn't even know there had been a largish earthquake until I saw it on CNN of all places!

That's terrible news. Firstly, I hope all the SAU guys and their friends and family are ok. Secondly, does anyone have any info on what arreas in particular were badly hit? I currently have a car in storage (use the term losely) up north in Hokkaido (Sapporo to be precise) does anyone know the impact on this area?

Richard

Don't worry about it - there's bugger all damage outside niigata.  

I now appreciate the amount of flex in my house (and really understand why the japanese have never caught on to double brick!)

yeah, I had not much Japan geographical knowledge but I studdied the maps and can see that Niigata is towards the north west of Honshu (a long way from Sapporo lucky for me). Terrible destruction in Niigata though judging from the pics I've seen.

Richard