SAU Community

The Wasteland - ACT Style

krzysiu

I have a question about radiators..

when you take off the cap, you should be able to see the coolant/water right?

also, how important is the mixture of coolant/water? As long as there's *some* coolant in there can you get away with filling it up with mostly water... if it only has to last about a week?

also, how important is the mixture of coolant/water? As long as there's *some* coolant in there can you get away with filling it up with mostly water... if it only has to last about a week?

Yes and yes

Yes you should be able to see the water and it should be green (most coolant is green).

The mixture of coolant and water is very important, the coolant is a corrosion inhibitor (helps to reduce rust) and is also the reason that your "water" doesnt boil as it has a higher boiling point than normal water.

I would get some coolant into it ASAP...

yeah it's the minerals in the tap water.

Well I have put in 1 litre of coolant and the rest water.

And I have fixed up the crack with this hard setting putty stuff. So far so good - I made it to work today! Yay! Soooo sick of paying for cabs! (huge hugs to veilside for giving me a lift last night).

Yeah, youre supposed to use demineralised water to help stop rusting, but coolant nearly always has a rust inhibitor in it to help keep the system clean.

Shell - was it one litre of coolant pre mix or coolant concentrate? The concentrate stuff will make about 7 litres out of one bottle.