SAU Community

The Wasteland - ACT Style

krzysiu

I only heard of it this Friday. Someone told its basically a meetup of car ppl who cruise in the Tharwa direction, and that I should come along.... And then they proceeded to tell me how last time the cops blocked them in and slapped a bunch of ppl with canaries. Sounds AWESOME!! I'M THERE lol NOT.

I think sometimes it's in Phillip or out at the Cotter as well.

Hanging out with Commo drivers doing burnouts... Hmmm no thankyou!

But come on we drive modified Skylines so we must be car hoons!

A mate of mines older brother was in Rush Hour back in late 90s. Apparantly it was a social car club (like canberra cruises) who would cruise around or do burnouts etc. until a group of them broke into a tyre shop and trashed the place and tagged "Rush Hour" all over the walls. After that police came down on everyone with rush hour stickers on their cars and it pretty much disappeared. Thats all i remember about it, probably more to it then that.

No idea why but its come back in the last 12 months or so. They usually meet in Phillip (near the ice skating place) and cruise down to Tharwa and do burnouts, a few mates of mine have been going for the last few weeks

Edited by Baconer

• 2 weeks later...

More than 80 drivers were stopped by ACT Policing in Holt last night, just seven days after a police crackdown on more than 60 drivers in Tharwa last Thursday, August 28.

Members of ACT Policing’s Traffic Operations were alerted by members of the public around 11.30pm yesterday (Thursday September 4) about a large group of vehicles engaging in burnouts and other hoon-type behaviour in the vicinity of Mulligan Drive, Bonner before the vehicles moved onto Stockdill Drive, Holt.

Traffic enforcement officers and Belconnen general duties patrols then co-ordinated a stationary checkpoint on Stockdill Drive where more than 80 vehicles were inspected and their drivers breath tested.

Police recorded a total of 82 negative screening tests for alcohol, six defect notices, nine Traffic Infringement Notices (TIN), with one juvenile arrested for offensive behaviour.

Sergeant Bill Evans said the most concerning fact was that many of the drivers stopped by police last night, had also been involved in last Thursday’s incident in Tharwa.

“A core of drivers believed a change in location would go undetected by ACT Policing and members of the general public who felt obligated to report illegal behaviour in their community,” Sgt Evans said.

“By ignoring the warnings, drivers risk the loss of their licences, their vehicles for a period of time but more importantly, the risk of serious and/or fatal injuries through reckless behaviour.

“ACT Policing will continue to target these drivers and we would urge anyone with information about illegal street activities including the large gathering of suspicious vehicles to contact us immediately on 131444,” Sgt Evans said.

• 3 weeks later...

Monday 29 September 7.30 pm SBS

TOP GEAR AUSTRALIA

(1 of 8) If you thought the Brits had done it all with Top Gear - wait until you see Top Gear Australia. In the first episode of this eight-part series, hosts Charlie Cox, Warren Brown and Steve Pizzati play hard with all-wheel drives on sand and snow. There is a glimpse of the new LP560 Lamborghini Gallardo super sportscar, Charlie test drives the latest Porsche 911 and Warren tests the appetite of Great White Sharks off Port Lincoln - using himself as the bait. And - one of Australia's hottest actors, Vince Colosimo is Top Gear Australia's first studio guest! (Commissioned by SBSi, in English) (Entertainment)

Rating: Series Premiere PG (CC) WS

Running Time: 65 mins

Not too shaby. Mimmicked the uk Top gear very closely. Too much of a deviation to the winning formula and it would have sunk.

Personal thought - give it a fair go and judge after a few more episodes. I beleive it may insert a more Aussie flavour down the track> It certainly better than a lot of other shows that have come from OS and flopped after episode 1-3.

Shark thing was a bit dumb. But I only had it on in the background while doing other stuff. "That car's grouse!" haha who even says that.

Wooo, crazy stock stuff happenin.. consequently, price of oil has dropped. Sif it'll have any impact on us though! Just means someone will line their pockets even more.

So you survived the weekend Snooze. Thanks for the Phone call, lucky I was 3 sheets to the wind so I could undertand you. Did you work out that you were in your own house...LMAO.

Nxt time call the ParaleticMedics - umm Paramedics....

(jokes) :D

Im not expecting a big response to this but Im going to put it out there anyway...

Who remembers the days when we used to all gather at Jerra Pub for Trivia on Tuesday nights!? - We sucked at the trivia but it was a great chance to catch up with a whole heap of the ACT crew, sink some brews, have dinner and play some pool (I still hold the record for 9 wins in a row on the same table in one night)...

We should definitly start doing something like that again! Even if it is only once a fortnight... :D

Who knows we might even get to see the misterious Jayce and Erica again (since they have gone in to hiding) :)

Should we put it to a vote?