SAU Community

The Wasteland - ACT Style

krzysiu

My brother drives the ASLAVS. They're pretty impressive. What does he fly (navigate)? F/A18?

Yea I assume so, he lives in Adelaide, so I dont see him often.

Not bad, give me a 240 anyday though

My old lady has a 260 2+2 in the back yard. One day I'll steal it from her and resto it
  • Like 1

so lets say theres an unidentified flying object in the air space here in Canberra, pretty sure theres no fighters here how would they bring it down. One from Albury? or Sydney would take forever for a threat.

so lets say theres an unidentified flying object in the air space here in Canberra, pretty sure theres no fighters here how would they bring it down. One from Albury? or Sydney would take forever for a threat.

It takes an F/A-18 30-40 Minutes to get here from Brisbane. They could get from Syd to here in under 5.

Edited by Anfanee

yeah was just wondering because the base near the airport only has Abbotts planes nothing military unless if they're all hidden inside.

There is usually 1 floating around. It was out yesterday.

Speaking of things in the sky, last night about midnight there was light show or something in the sky - was one big blob and then it separated into a circle of lights and then spun around. I saw it from the inner south/Fyshwick area. Does anyone know what it was for?

comeon those planes cant do 4000km/h. id say 15mins maybe from Sydney to Canberra.

It takes a commercial plane half an hour to get to sydney, so yea I imagine a fighter would be much quicker, 15mins is a fair guess.

That's once they leave the ground.

Any f/a18 here in Canberra won't be armed

So factor in arming at least 2 aircraft, briefing the crews and getting them here from Newcastle with enough fuel to fight (so they cant run supersonic all the way here)

Anything that just appears overhead would be well gone by the time a flight gets here.

• Like 1

Speaking of things in the sky, last night about midnight there was light show or something in the sky - was one big blob and then it separated into a circle of lights and then spun around. I saw it from the inner south/Fyshwick area. Does anyone know what it was for?

It used to be the tradies club did that light thing, dunno who has it now.....

That's once they leave the ground.

Any f/a18 here in Canberra won't be armed

So factor in arming at least 2 aircraft, briefing the crews and getting them here from Newcastle with enough fuel to fight (so they cant run supersonic all the way here)

Anything that just appears overhead would be well gone by the time a flight gets here.

Appears? Like out of hyperspace or something?

Cant hide from long wave radar.

It used to be the tradies club did that light thing, dunno who has it now.....

Appears? Like out of hyperspace or something?

Cant hide from long wave radar.

This is true. Australia has some of the best scaning capabilities in the world.

The hornet is hiding @ the aiport today. It will prob be in a hanger.

This is true. Australia has some of the best scaning capabilities in the world.

The hornet is hiding @ the aiport today. It will prob be in a hanger.

That Hornet you speak of is for the Skyfire in Canberra - it's only here for an airshow.

@Bryce - The closes armed Air Force base is Williamtown roughly 5'ish hours via car. So they'd most likely scramble a Super Hornet/s which can do close to 2,000km/h - for safe keeping, let's say they travelled at 1,500km/h, distance is 500km (on a road - straight path flying would most likely be closer to 300km, even less) that would roughly take 15 minutes. We also have ships in Sydney with Anti-Air capabilities which could cruise along the east coast with radar following the movements of enemy aircraft - The Super Hornets would most likely go to the enemy jets as opposed the city. So, if they fled, they'd most likely be met halfway.

However, in saying this... enemy aircraft would most likely have to travel from the North of Australia which Tindal (Northern Territory) have 75 Squadron which is a combat Squadron - so, they'd most likely be picked up from Tindal first.. Thus, warning Williamtown who would be covering the East Coast of Australia (following the enemy movements by radar).

Now, if they came in from New Zealand airspace.. then NZ would give Williamtown a thumbs up and meet them at our borders - also, we have Navy ships cruising our coast so it wouldn't be such an easy fit to sneak right in. Also, given the enemy aircraft would need to travel over ocean and then return back to base, you can safely say they wouldn't go to the west coast of Australia unless they plan to land on an Aircraft carrier out at sea, which would be impossible given that our radar would pick that up.

We also have subs which are 'underwater floating radars'.

SOOOOO... to sum it up, you wouldn't be seeing a "Tomorrow when the war began" scenario in Australia that easy, if at all.

Edited by RosieR34

We have an F/A-18 hiding in the hangers dude. It has been here for over a year. The one for Skyfire will be coming from Williamstown on the night. There have been talks that the Airforce Wants to put a runway in at JOC but i don't have any details on that.

We have an F/A-18 hiding in the hangers dude. It has been here for over a year. The one for Skyfire will be coming from Williamstown on the night. There have been talks that the Airforce Wants to put a runway in at JOC but i don't have any details on that.

At this point in time, I wouldn't exactly know if they did or didn't, so I couldn't exactly comment - but it would surprise me if it was combat ready. Wouldn't surprise me that the Skyfire one would come from Williamtown overnight. I use to live on the Air Force base at Williamtown and they're not short of Hornets. Every couple of months some of them would do a flyby as it was their last flight and needless to say... the windows shook, car alarms beamed and my ears screamed - awesome memories. Use to watch the FA/18's, among other fighter jets; F16's(US), Super Hornets (US) and Globemasters, Antonovs and all sorts of aircraft at Williamtown.

Some of the best memories were watching the AU Hornet boys flying against the F-16 US boys - they'd be circling the airfield and then game on... screaming past sand dunes and homes and then they'd all return with a wingflap and give us a wave, sometimes they'd even pop the canopy and wave as me and my m8s stood probably 50m from the runway - not fenced or anything. We screamed like little girls in excitement.

Edited by RosieR34
  • Like 1