SAU Community

' 98 R33 GTST vs '98 R34 GTT

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been done to death but I am trying to work out what car to buy.

The options are a very nice very low km but stock 98 R33 GTST 40th anniversary job for $27k vs a 98 R34 for $37k with low km's and basic mods (exhaust, BOV etc).

Anyhoo.....just chasing up people experience etc.

Oz_Dazza, I am considering a similar question (and I am sure it has been done to death, so before anyone flames you for it - try the "Search" button!). My own situation is that I already have a nice '97 R33 GTST, with a 3" cat back 'zaust, pod filter and CAI, and I am about to embark on further upgrades - 3" dump/front pipe & high flow cat, followed by SAFC II, followed by FMIC. I hope to be able to do it for under $3k.

Buuuut, the dilemma: For low $30,000s, could get an R34 GTT, or with a few more dollars (hopefully:cheers:

Guest RedLineGTR

The Best idea is to have a driver or sit in both a R33 and a R34 and make your decision on that. Also take into the factor that you would be spending some money on mods in the future will after buying either car will you have money left over for some little mods and also maintenece etc??

If you add up all the features a r34 has compared to a stock r33 then you get what you pay for better tunned engine, newer technology (electronic wise & hardware wise), interior, factory gages, Xenon lights, bigger wheels, optional factory sports body kit, better suspension setup (similar to gtr), traction control system..The list goes on for a r34 really I have been in both r33 and r34’s before the r33 for me interior wise is getting outdated a bit that’s my only reason atm :(

My 2 Cents :D

Guest RedLineGTR

I would say you get what you paid for. Though they are made in the same year the R33 started in 1993 and the r34 gtt started in 1998 :( R34's arnt that common.

I found the R34 quite cramped but the R33 comfy (GTR's but they are the same AFAIK).

So if you are well fed or broad of shoulder than that is another consideration.

RedLineGTR is spot on, jump in a couple and see what you like.

Out of those the RB25DET NEO swings it the R34's way, despite my comments above.

Sorry the one on carsales is actually N/A...he's advertised it as a GT-t then commented it's N/A later :(

The other white one on there at Southbank looks good, 18,000Kms for ~34K

In my biased opinion, you'd love the 34 over the 33 in terms of equipment and the fact it's newer. It's sad to say even local cars are now starting to have more options than even the R34's....

Guest RedLineGTR
I found the R34 quite cramped but the R33 comfy (GTR's but they are the same AFAIK).

So if you are well fed or broad of shoulder than that is another consideration.

RedLineGTR is spot on, jump in a couple and see what you like.

Out of those the RB25DET NEO swings it the R34's way, despite my comments above.

Ah yes they are a bit more Cramped I would say, it gives them a bit of a tighter feel as compared to a r33 even the dash in a r34 has more bulk in it. I'm 6'3 in height so space for me in something I considered when buying my car. Recently sat in a S15…shit I think I need the sun roof just so my hair doesn’t hit the roof :( lolz

Hrmm. this is interesting.. I have been in a 33 and a 34 (well did own a 34 as well), to me 34 is definitely more roomy, more specifically back seat room and boot space.

If you are choosing between a 33 and 34 then 34 is still the go with the reasons ppl have already mentioned more boot room, more back seat room.. :( more powerfull engine, cooler looking dash, more agressive body style ( and will turn more head) and last but not least its not as common as 33 atm. :( And of course the negative side is more $$, but you get what you pay for.

PS. there was a 34 for sale at just a lil under 30k. :D

Guest RedLineGTR
Go the 34 but you can definetly get em cheaper than 37k

you probably can, but most r34's you see for sale are in the 34-37K range since no one imports them atm (well in vic at least) seen some modified examples sold here for those price and seen some stock r34's sold for the same prices.

agreed, vic seems to have the most r34's for sale atm

do u want manual? auto/tip?

if ur not fussy, you could settle down for an auto/tip which are wayyy cheaper

one in the FS section, black r34 in clayton with fair bit of mods.. think the guys in the vic section did a test drive (do a search).. the seller is goin o/s so maybe haggle him even more?

i remembered i offered him 30k back 3 months ago but he declined (this was when he was selling for 33.9k).. so now's the time to strike ^^