SAU Community

Hks Gt2530

MickyR33

My turbo needs replacing(R33 GTST) and i,m thinking of a HKS gt2530. Apart from 3 inch exhaust my car is standard . WIll I be able to run this turbo and change things as I can afford to. or do I need to do the extras first?.. Am I better of overhauling my stock turbo with High flow wheels.. Any advice would be appreciated

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stuff high-flowing, i've got a hi-flow and its starting to stuff up, i'm also due for a replacement. To high flow your turbo will be a good $1200+, you can pick up a second hand gt2530 for about $1500; spending the extra few hundred is worth it as you will get a quality turbo made by HKS, not a highflow that some guy in a workshop has put together. You can slap on just the turbo by itself, you will get more power by using the HKS dump pipe but the stock dump will also fit so you dont have to change this right away. Of course if you want to start running more boost from the new turbo you will need to start upgrading other support systems - fuel pump, ECU, injectors etc, but running the new turbo on say stock boost or a little bit more will be fine.

My turbo needs replacing(R33 GTST) and i,m thinking of a HKS gt2530. Apart from 3 inch exhaust my car is standard . WIll I be able to run this turbo and change things as I can afford to. or do I need to do the extras first?.. Am I better of overhauling my stock turbo with High flow wheels.. Any advice would be appreciated

ive run a 12.5 with my 2530. I once said i thought this turbo was too small for a rb25 as it doesnt hold boost at the top end, but after some some observations of the boost guage it seems boost only drops off after 6500, so its not really an issue, just affects your peak power figure.

i dunno how itd go with stock ecu, as long as you check your AFR's on a dyno you should be fine.

Ill be selling mine early next year complete bolt on with all lines and pipes inc HKS stainless dump, for when the 2835pro goes on, but even now its a street weapon with great drivability.

I've never understood why there are so many people that keep saying that a 2530 is too small for an rb25, when for one, it is in fact larger, albeit marginally, than the standard rb25 turbo, and secondly, HKS recommendeds the 2530 as a rb25 upgrade. How do I know this? It is on the front cover of the 2530 installation manual.

As Sly has personally experienced, it is capable of producing a 12.5. Too small? I think not.

if your going to upgrade then i dont believe that a 2530 is worth the money for the gain you are going to get in the future...

ok its a good improvment....but if you want to get more later your going to have to upgrade again....

Fane, i agree, if your future plans are to further increase your rb25's output beyond the capabilities of the 2530, then fitting one now would be a waste of time and money.

But i think it is worth realising that not everyone wants to be a horsepower hero. For someone who mainly wants a large increase in mindrange power and torque without sacrificing response, i cannot see why the 2530 would not be a very attractive option, especially when a good condition, second hand 2530 can be found for just under $2000.

fane, what makes you believe the 2530 is too small? have you used one or driven an rb25 with one? The peak power it makes doesnt tell half the story. The midrange and response is awesome.

I have no problem with people expressing opinions, but without direct experience i think can be misleading to others. If i took you for a spin in mine im sure youd be grinning afterwards and might not think its so small :rofl:

also ive run side by side many times with cars producing up to 40rwkw more than mine, and either been dead even or beaten them, ie again, peak power isnt everything.

I do see your point, i went from 200rwkw stock turbo to 220rwkw, and thought it was a lot to spend for just 20rwkw! but the difference in power delivery and fun factor is chalk and cheese.

i agree with what your saying...i am not a horsepower hero and im after response but with a bit more stab.....i have gone for a hi-flow 33 turbo on my 33.... 54t comp wheel and t04e exhaust wheel....havent put it on yet...hopefully its a bit better stab still with response... :rofl:

An RB25 with a 2530 is the best street car i have ever driven. OK so i havent driven hundreds of setups but the thing was very impressive. It was so responsive and...well lets just say it was great turbo.

I think a 2535 would be much the same. As a road car thats fun and scares ppl i reckon they are on the money. Too small, to some maybe, but 230rwkws on tap irrespective of gear and a good spread of power makes for a fun ride.

sly,

115mph... thats impressive!!

so you extracted more power from the 2530? what power does it make now @ what boost?

i just did 12.97 @ 104mph which i thought was a low mph.

the difference between a 2.1 60' and a 1.8 60' for me ended up being almost half a second at the end of the track so with some more practice and sticky tyres you could have a VERY low 12 in the bag.

congrats!

Evan

My 2cents......

Firstly, I would suggest a HKS GT over a rebuilt / high flowed for your car. No doubt !! ( Would be happy to elaborate if required )

On the topic of HKS GT's, while in Japan I was made quite aware that the perfect partners were, HKS GT2530 for an RB20 and then GT2535 for an RB25. This is of course for a reasonably sensible street car / track days. Personally, I think they were right but there are exceptions ( eg. using a GT2530 on an RB25 for drifting ).

My opinion..... GT2530 for great launches and awesome mid range with very respectable top end or GT2535 for a little less down low and a bit more up top.

Hope that helps ;)

sly,

115mph... thats impressive!!

so you extracted more power from the 2530? what power does it make now @ what boost?

i just did 12.97 @ 104mph which i thought was a low mph.

the difference between a 2.1 60' and a 1.8 60' for me ended up being almost half a second at the end of the track so with some more practice and sticky tyres you could have a VERY low 12 in the bag.

congrats!

Evan

hi evan, no i havent got anymore power out of the 2530, Its actually making less than when i first had it tuned due to the addition of a cat in the exhaust, which im still running. I made 227rwkw without cat, and now make 218rwkw at just under 1bar, but run 1.2 bar till about 6-6500rpm (boost drops off after here).

yeah im pretty pleased with the mph! ive just been fighting axle tramp off the line which is why the 60ft time isnt so good. A 1.8 60ft time would definitly bag a very low 12.

Congrats on getting into the 12s!

yes the GT-RS's sound very impressive, but whats the price? wouldnt think youd find too many second hand ones yet? BD4s have recently set one up on a 33, have to call them to see what it made, will let you know.

I was reading a write up on a comparison on the GT2530(I think) and the GT-RS in zoom I think it was, was a very goof read. I'll scan it in and post it if anyone was keen to have a look?

The end result was that although the GT-RS lacked a little bit in top end the mid range response was awesome. It was picked over the GT2530 but price is a bit of a turn off.