SAU Community

Suspension is toooooo firm

All,

I have got Bilstein shock absorbers with Pedders springs in my R33 GTST, The car is fairly low which i know it will ride firm but its too bloody firm.. It shakes like crazy over bumps and it also feels dangerous when accelarting over bumps because the back of the car slips around. Would it be the springs or the shock absorbers?

Does anyone know any combination that works well? Should I go for King springs?

Thanks

What else is done to the susp?

The fact that it "shakes" suggests to me that the susp could do with a freshen up more then new shocks and springs. I cant see Pedders springs with Bilstein shocks being massivley different to my Bilsteins and Whiteline springs...but i have new bushes throughout my car, and whilst it rides firm the car feels tight, no wabbling/shaking over road irregularities.

As for slipping around over bumps, yo have 250rkws so you will have to learn to show some smarts with the throttle (Come on you drive F3000s:)) that said you should be able to get the thig to ride bumps nicely.

Your welcome to drive my car with a Whiteline setup, but its an R32, but should still give you an idea of the direction they take by way of spring and rebound rates on a sporty road car

I have got Bilstein shock absorbers

Some people who are involved with Bilstein seem to like making them very hard...

I was involved with a race team asking them to make them softer, they came back harder... every time.

yeah maybe its the subframe bushes thats causing vibration, hmmm or maybe its just stiff suspension? is it all the time or is it only under acceleration? maybe your subframe bushes are worn and its causing your diff cradle to vibrate, get some subframe buses however this will stiffing up your rear also but could get rid off this vibration a cheaper option than springs maybe to try first

i also have bilstein shocks, the yellow 'sport' ones from UAS, with king springs, ride is great, definitly not too hard.

You should be able to find out the spring rates from who you bought the springs from. You probably have the same shocks as me, if so its not the shocks. The shaking over bumps could be due to the springs being too firm for the shocks, so that the shock cant control the bump/rebound, and as a result the car get bumpy and loses contact with the road over bumps.

Why did you buy PEDDERS of all springs when theres quality stuff like Kings, Lovells, Whiteline, Eibach etc which if you speak to Bilstein are all highly recomended for use with their shocks?!

ahh the other thing, if your springs are more than 2.5inches lowered, the shocks arent happy, and the ride suffers notably. I ran at just over 3inchs lowered for a while, and after i got sick of the ride and bottoming out i now have 1inch lowered, and the ride is completely improved.

The Pedders springs came with the car... When i say it shakes i mean when you go over bumps the car rides too firm and cause the dash to rattle and just makes for not the most pleasent ride... I think that the shocks may be over damped but it could be that springs are just way to heavy for the shock absorbers.

The car is currently fitted with

*Bilstein Shock Absorbers

*Pedders Lowered Springs

*Whiteline Adjustable Swaybars

*Whiteline Camber Kit Front

*Whiteline Camber Kit Rear x 2

*Whiteline Castor Kit Front

*Whiteline Subframe Align/Lock (Pineapples)

all of which have been fitted within the last 4-6 months so nothing is old and worn out

Im thinking maybe even getting rid of the shock suspension setup all round... New shocks and springs. I had Bilstein shocks on my Formula 3 and they were SHIT. We changed to Penske shock absorbers and only used Eibach springs which we changed for different tracks. But i cant justify spending over $8000 for a suspension setup like so.

All,

I have got Bilstein shock absorbers with Pedders springs in my R33 GTST, The car is fairly low which i know it will ride firm but its too bloody firm.. It shakes like crazy over bumps and it also feels dangerous when accelarting over bumps because the back of the car slips around. Would it be the springs or the shock absorbers?  

Does anyone know any combination that works well? Should I go for King springs?

Thanks

I have also got Bilstein shocks and had the car prob lower than your at the moment when i first got it. It was ruff as guts until i put in new springs to raise the car as it would get up my driveway, and now rides alot better.

Maybe try out another set of springs coz the shocks might be under constant compression if not setup right.

The Pedders springs came with the car... When i say it shakes i mean when you go over bumps the car rides too firm and cause the dash to rattle and just makes for not the most pleasent ride... I think that the shocks may be over damped but it could be that springs are just way to heavy for the shock absorbers.

The car is currently fitted with  

*Bilstein Shock Absorbers

*Pedders Lowered Springs

*Whiteline Adjustable Swaybars  

*Whiteline Camber Kit Front

*Whiteline Camber Kit Rear x 2

*Whiteline Castor Kit Front

*Whiteline Subframe Align/Lock (Pineapples)

all of which have been fitted within the last 4-6 months so nothing is old and worn out

Im thinking maybe even getting rid of the shock suspension setup all round... New shocks and springs. I had Bilstein shocks on my Formula 3 and they were SHIT. We changed to Penske shock absorbers and only used Eibach springs which we changed for different tracks. But i cant justify spending over $8000 for a suspension setup like so.

... but I'm tipping your problem is more likely all the yellow bits. The take all the compliance out that the boys in the backroom at Nissan built in with the rubber bushes.

Now they dont use rubber for its excellent performance and ability to make this go like an F3. They do it to stop all that harshness and to stop your mobile jumping out of the consol.

From our recent research the silver bars are too heavy anyhow... well at least with the current configeration we are running. (And thats good enough to get round Basky in a 61)

Put it up to standard hight and try that matey.

Good luck

I think Roy was angling for a run in the race car... sly bugger. LOL

I think Roy was angling for a run in the race car... sly bugger. LOL

LOL...it was a pretty thin angle wasnt it:)

Ring up Pedders and find out what the spring rate is...rattling dash over bumps suggests they are pretty damn high:(

ahh the other thing, if your springs are more than 2.5inches lowered, the shocks arent happy, and the ride suffers notably.  I ran at just over 3inchs lowered for a while, and after i got sick of the ride and bottoming out i now have 1inch lowered, and the ride is completely improved.

Gday mate, I am new to this forum stuff, and you sound as if you may be able to help.

I have an R33 gtst. The ride has no give at all, when pushing down on the front and rear i cant even see the car move. I have JIC height adjustables in the rear and OHLINS in the front, I am unsure of the spring manafacturer but the ride is way too hard. I have been told the setup I have is for drifting. In any case i want to sell the setup i have and just have a normal ride without turning my insides out. Any suggestions

• 2 weeks later...

HeathGTST, I've got the same setup as you - Pedders springs (Sports ryders) and Bilsteins - although I don't feel they're too hard, it's just that the whole setup is undersprung/overdamped... the effect can almost be as bad as too-hard springs, which I had when first got the car - it had hard-as-rocks Cusco gear in it.

Going to get a quote for a set of King's lows, will post the quote in here when I get it.

I put my money on the Pedders springs being too hard.

Got some for my 4wd recently and WAAAY too hard, long travel ones too! And thats with standard struts.

Yeah yeah I know, totally different to a skyline but I reckon thats

what it would be.

Kings would be more like $400 a set.

Please dont say the Bilsteins are harsh, I'm getting some very soon. :(

Nah, bilsteins are great. I went from pedder springs and 'soft' dampers (KYB excel and Pedders 'Comfort' shocks - this combo wasn't good, it was like being in a boat, going over largish waves, which is why I suspect the springs were/are too soft... when the bilsteins went on, it tightened everything up, still not perfect, but much better.

But no offence, RedRocket, but it makes no sense saying that his problem would be harsh pedders springs because yours on your 4wd are too harsh. Two different cars, different springs, rates, etc. :)

None taken, just saying thats where my money is..

I considered all evidence submitted and concluded that the springs would be the more likely cause out of springs/dampers. Then given my experience with Pedders springs being way too hard for their given application it helped seal the choice! :rofl:

Thought I might cop some flak for saying that...