SAU Community

handbrake cables r30

Hey matt.. what was the problem you were having exactly?

I am having a problem on my HR31.. with the LHS hub handbrake tends to stay jammed on once disengaged - resulting in the LHS wheel locking up, and other dangerous things.

I've had to resort to disconnecting the handbrake completely - and the problem had gone away.. but of course no handbrake.

I have taken off the disc, and had a look, sprayed some WD40 in the assembly in the hub, but this did not appear to fix the problem.

any advice on this issue would be great from anybody.

Hey matt.. what was the problem you were having exactly?  

I am having a problem on my HR31.. with the LHS hub handbrake tends to stay jammed on once disengaged - resulting in the LHS wheel locking up, and other dangerous things.  

I've had to resort to disconnecting the handbrake completely - and the problem had gone away.. but of course no handbrake.  

I have taken off the disc, and had a look, sprayed some WD40 in the assembly in the hub, but this did not appear to fix the problem.  

any advice on this issue would be great from anybody.

with mine the line had been crushed at some point and would not release the calipar, check the lines for damage just in case as it was $55 for a new line made now they work fine??? :) hope it helps

ahh thanks.. had a play this afternoon. Looks pretty much like exactly the same has happened to this one.

The extra bracket which is on the rear sway bar to hold it in place has rotated, managing to dig itself into the cable. Means it has trouble "springing back" into place. Anyhow, releasing the pressure on the cable has made it a fair bit better.

• 2 weeks later...

hey just another question regarding handbrake, is the R31 handbrake calipers compatible with the R30 ones? Cos a rare spares place in Perth says that he has an R31 one, and he wasn't sure if it's legit for an R30 either. Wonder if anyone knows on here?

Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

While we're on R30 brakes, does anyone know if R31 disc rotors and calipers bolt straight onto an R30? I've been quoted stratopheric prices for new rotors and am thinking R31 parts are the way to go because they're more readily available.

Otherwise it looks like a trip to the wreckers and R30s are getting hard to find.

While we're on R30 brakes, does anyone know if R31 disc rotors and calipers bolt straight onto  an R30? I've been quoted stratopheric prices for new rotors and am thinking R31 parts are the way to go because they're more readily available.  

Otherwise it looks like a trip to the wreckers and R30s are getting hard to find.

They are a totally different hub set up.

The R31 & R30 really, easily aren't compatible, but if bigger is your go enquire from places like Jaustech and JMS for DR30 brakes from japan, or go have a look at Z31's as the rotors & calipers are the same as DR30.

Alternately, check some of your local parts shops for RDA rotors, they will probably cost you about $135.00 a rotor for standard slotted.

Thanks Ghostrider - that's the first useful reply I've had from three different forums - this one, Ozdat & R31 Skyline.

On the subject of handbrake cables I recently found out that Power Brakes SA is now making these up

That's OK, the DR brakes will cost you about $500 pair for struts complete and rear trailing arms about the same, but the disc rotors on a stocky would be cheaper, just fir decent pads like EBC green stuff on the front amd black on the rear

RDA stands for ROTOR & DRUMS AUSTRALIA Pty Ltd

I think they are an imported rotor, but they're cheaper than DBA and much better in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

thought id add this to help ne guys in syd, got 1 of my cables redone from "cables and controls" in lidcombe, 96491442, cost $72, didnt take long at all.

and yea z31 calipers and rotors fit r30, just need to redrill to 4 stud :)

apparently www.autocables.com.au can replace the inner wire providing the casing is not too damaged. would be the best solution i think!

Just make sure the rubber boots they put on the end arent some light duty cheap arse thing,

Its these that fail and crack, letting road grime in and abrasing the inner cable sheath,,,, then it siezes up.