SAU Community

Interesting story mechanic told me...

joh21m

Hi,

Well went to mechanic to get some stuff done, and he says to me,

'I can smell petrol from your car, it must be running lean, you need to change the fuel pump."

How much for you to do that i ask....

'$600'

Is there any truth in what he is saying or is he trying to 'upsell'.... I would of thought if you could smell petrol (which you can) the car would be running rich not lean...

Joh

Sounds like the mechanic is talking rubbish more like it. Did he mean raw fuel, or the thing running rich? If its raw fuel, you gotta leak. If it was running rich on idle, somethings up with your car, but it aint a fuel pump!

Hi,

Well went to mechanic to get some stuff done, and he says to me,  

'I can smell petrol from your car, it must be running lean, you need to change the fuel pump."

How much for you to do that i ask....

'$600'

Is there any truth in what he is saying or is he trying to 'upsell'.... I would of thought if you could smell petrol (which you can) the car would be running rich not lean...

Joh

Were you dressed up like a woman when he told you this???

Coz it sounds like some bs a mechanic would tell a woman

Man, I bought my Bosch 800hp , Malpassi Reg, Pressure Guage and all new fuel lines for my rb20 for $600 (trade). $600 installed for a pump is not that much really. When you think about it, he would buy the pump for round $350 then he's gotta add his markup, then labour - around hour and a half including the mod to fit it. It would be quite easy to rack up $600. But are you running the standard regulator? coz if you are...the new pump will blast the crapper out of it and it won't run properly. You need an adjustable one. And the CA18t pump is probably gonna be a little too small to service that engine...just. I think it pumps like 20 litres per hour less than the rb20 item. Will the fuel smell though...you have to check all the obvious places. The tank(underneath). All the fuel lines. All the connections. Filler cap and breather hoses. Around the injector nozzles. See where you can physically smell it the strongest.

Don't know all the details but mechanics sometimes can be a rought. Our '97 VW polo has had $5000 worth of servicing in the last 6 months and its still a lemon, its my mum who drives it and she's sensible so just keep your eyes out.