SAU Community

My GTR Thread

Hey Guys,

After *almost* buying an r34 gtr, and deciding its way too much money to spend on a car the only other option was an r32.

The amount of money I save importing a 15 year old GTR compared to purchasing a local 92-94 model in similar condition was enough that I've taken the plunge, even with the moderate risk involved in importing yourself.

This vehicle from a supplier I found through prestige motorsport will be in my garage early 2005:

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/?/au/...sp?StockID=2654

Just some quick questions:

1. I read a thread a while back about people trying to remove the cup holders (as seen on my car) from the air con vents. I remember people saying its impossible to remove them without damaging the vents.. is this true?

2. How much is it going to cost to get the dash and door/interior trim recovered, or is it cheaper to buy a new dash? Has anyone done this? :D

Edit: The car has now Arrived!, pics can be viewed ** HERE!! **

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congradulations. Your car would compete with mine for stockness (though, naturally, mine would win on account of not having cup holders or fog lights) :D

How long will it be stored for before it reaches Australia? Reason I ask is mine waited about 4 months in Japan and became a mould breeding ground, so expect to spend some quality time with your vacuum cleaner :)

Take my advice and ask for your log books to be sent to you now via mail.

Lucien.

Congrats - nice choice (My 93 R is black too!)

One of the good things about an R32 is the availability of parts and the compatability with the "little brother" GTS-T for trim and bits and pieces.

Don't worry about the bubbled dash - try injecting superglue with a siringe into the buble after you have softened up the area with a hair drier. Use "quarter round" timber to push the buble back into the crease and hold it there for a few minutes.

Good luck

Gav

Thanks Lucien!

I cant get the log books sent as its already at the wharf. :D

I'm getting the car shipped on the next available vessle, so i think it should be here in early January 05.

January? Bummer. I know there is a ship scheduled to leave on the 20th Nov bound for Sydney (no idea if it stops in QLD first)... if you want it earlier maybe get it on that ship and get it transported up to QLD?

Apparently its very busy at the wharfs at the moment (cars being bumped off shipping schedules, etc).

Fingers crossed with the log books. Mine never arrived :)

LW.

Gav: Great tip! i'll try it out..

Yeah the ships are all overbooked at the moment, I might not even have the car until early Feb! :goddam:

Just wondering if anyone has experience removing cup holders, and if anyone thinks it will be a problem.

• 5 months later...

I tried wrestling with the cup holders, they are both definately clipped on.. i've saved it for when i get home i'm going to be super careful so i dont break the plastic vents.

She started first time every time, none of the warning lights came on. What seems to be the stock exhaust puts out a very quiet purr, and is the quietest gtr i've ever sat in. The cooling system had bright green coolant in it and the engine oil looked like it had just been changed.

The interior isnt as perfect as the photos made it out to be, the steering wheel, gear knob, gear boot & handbrake leathers are absolutely perished.. but the seats and plastics are suprisingly decent. And I was replacing all the above anyway. The body work had one small pin scratch on it from transport and thats it.

The stereo has been stolen.. not that it matters I have a new deck i'll be installing.

Suprisingly there is bright red strut tower brace, the power options all work and the air con works and the display is perfect! woohoo.

Today its getting all the fluids done and an inspection.. i'm anxiously waiting to find out what the verdict is once they get it up on the hoist.. fingers crossed.

Congradulations,

just curious, you mentioned that your air-cond work.

I recently got my car and it needed to be regas.

Does QLD law allow the old gas or do you just mean that the electrics work, but no gas?

Nice Stocky by the way.

Your car has finally arrived!? Inconceivable!! :D

Great stuff Pentae, and about time too. I hope the runs as smooth as it looks, go out there and break the "89's are dungers" stereotype.

Cheers dude,

Mark

PS Those centre vents are $125... The manual has a pic and info about poking a screwdriver down in between the vents to pop off a few plastic catches and then the vent *should* be able to be prised out...?

pentae, I feel your pain on the delay. I bought two R32 GTRs last year, one in April which I only picked up last Wednesday (and didn't even get home before something went wrong), the other one I purchased on 6.3.04 and it was finally released by customs last Wednesday as well so I could finally view it.

PS Those centre vents are $125... The manual has a pic and info about poking a screwdriver down in between the vents to pop off a few plastic catches and then the vent *should* be able to be prised out...?

Good luck with that :rofl: 10-15 year old plastic doesn't take well to bending, that's if you have a screwdriver that's long enough and thin enough so that you can move the tabs without damaging the vent slats.

If you planning to remove the dashboard at some stage, remove the vents then: its so much easier.

Edit: The leather items probably perished during storage. Months in the direct air + water = not so good for leather.

Lucien.