SAU Community

r34 q's

Hi all

Just picked up the car today and have a q..

The person i got the car said I should get the car tuned for 98 octane as it causes the timing to be a bit off and runs a little lean. Is the tune necessary and does this mean i need an aftermarket ECU? He suggested i use octane booster in the meantime?

Cheers

- Eric

edit: as you can see, i am a noob so plz no flaming ^^

Skylines do prefer higher octane fuel, but a tune/aftermarket ECU isn't needed unless you are modifying it. About all you should do is reset the ECU, which causes it to relearn the timing advance parameters. Do a search on how to reset the ECU, there are several ways of doing it.

I agree with Abo.. tho I would perfer to go with BP Ultimate, if possible.. :D Tho Ant is also correct you should reset the ECU to allow it to self learn/adjust it self to the different fuel qualities here. As to resetting the ECU I didnt find anything on the net to perform it, so I spend 100bucks n got the ECU data streamed (this is to see if the ECU already had any fault logged, at the time my HICAS light was coming on n off) and reset at the same time.

I found that resetting the ECU seems to make the car abit more responsive. Oh congrats on purchasing such a nice car. :D

I've had my car running on BP Ultimate for 6 months now. The previous owner had used optimax and octane boost once a month. While I haven't reset the ECU, the cars running fine. It goes in for a regular service next month and as part of the service they will be dyno tuning it for road use...

thanks yotis and everyone for the replies

will get the ecu reset

been running optimax for a week but will change to BP ultimate as everyone has had nothing but good comments bout them