SAU Community

Waiting For A Car? - The State Of Importing Cars From Japan ATM

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woohoo!!

Mine is also on a boat now (r32 gt-r)

It's on the Kiwi vessel bound to land in brisbane on the 9th of December. From there it's a truck to Melbourne..

my car was also transported to another dock - i wasn't charged anything however.

-Patrick

My car should be landing in brisbane on 13th December. It has to be trucked down from brisbane, not sure what ship it's on though but it's being sent in a container rather than roll on roll off.

My car had to be trucked within japan, they said it is about 16,000 yen - im yet to get an invoice though.

Car was built in November 1989

I won't mention who im importing it through, but it's been a good effort to get it on a ship so quick - i feel sorry for everyone who is having trouble. (im bound to encounter another complication sooner or later though)

I bought two cars last week and are booked leaving the 10th of DEC, a Supra picked up this month is already at the workshop being complyied.

Im nothing special and I dont pay extra to jump the line.

yeah, there seems to be no logical order in whose cars are getting on.

I'll end up paying a bit more for shipping, but if i waited 2-3 months then i'd also have extra interest on the loan while i can't sell my current car. So it evens out for me.

This way i get it before x-mas as well, so i'm happy. I wouldn't call it "jumping the line" everyone has the option of container shipping if they are prepared to pay more $$$

Car is going thru prestige was informed it was going via NYK instead of Kiwi since it is coming to sydney but my r32 with rb25det + td06 turbo is still sitting in Kawaski so dunno how long it will be there for but yeah. I opted for NYK since it more respected company and comes to sydney but i think the delay might be longer

I think our cars must be parked next to each other at the dock in Kawasaki...

Geoff tells me that a number of cars made it onto the last NYK vessel. I guess that wasn't us! :D

Mark

ok, I've tried to post this three times now!!

Anyway, a little update on my stuff. Sent my import approval last week (december car) and DOTARS have debited the $50 fee from my credit card, so this means they should have started proccessing my application, and providing it's all in order I should have the approval soon. Then I have to deal with the shipping which doesn't seem like fun, but I'm sure it'll work out fine. And boys, just take it as it comes, you all knew the risks of buying a car in another country before you started on this, so don't worry about it. All your cars will be here soon enough.

Richard

And boys, just take it as it comes, you all knew the risks of buying a car in another country before you started on this, so don't worry about it

Should really allow up to 6 months from even when the vehicle is elligible to be imported.

I was lucky, but even then 4 months from payment to doorstep.

Well you should save about $500-800 on tax with the lower fees coming in 2005 :cheers:

Hehe, good point, I factored that in already - i just about break even, but there are a few variable costs that could change things either way. (difference in import duty for me is about $200)

Im not too fussed, main importance for me is getting the car b4 x-mas.