SAU Community

Waiting For A Car? - The State Of Importing Cars From Japan ATM

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone explain something to me - my car has been pre booked since september and keeps missong ships, does this mean it has been sitting on the docks for about 3 months?

If this is so my concern is that it is getting covered in salt water from the ocean spray and probably slowly rusting away/ruining paint work.

like everyone i paid for a car cover but i bet once the car is moved from storage they never bother to put the cover back on.

doesn't look like it is getting on this month so will probably sit around for another month.

short answer, yes. Unfortunately another one of the risks we take when chosing to import a car from Japan. Don't worry too much about three months, 10+ years driving around on snow covered roads that have been 'salted' would do far worse. worry about that if anything.

Richard

sav1: I was fairly concerned about the car sitting outside for 3-4 months, and with earthquakes, tsunamis (sp?) and everything else wasn't the best feeling.

But when it arrived the other week overall the paint was still in very good condition for its age, although a little dulled probably from sitting outside all that time. With some heavy work on the cut & polish, and a hefty wax has come up really well. No signs of rust anywhere on the car or anything.

If the paint is already on its last legs, sitting outside may break it down fairly quickly, but otherwise, if the paint is good - sitting outside I don't think is going to make it go from great to terrible.

short answer, yes. Unfortunately another one of the risks we take when chosing to import a car from Japan. Don't worry too much about three months, 10+ years driving around on snow covered roads that have been 'salted' would do far worse. worry about that if anything.

Richard

Rust will be a problem on a lot of cars that have been sitting around for months on the dock after 15 years of salted roads.

We have found problems on cars less than 10 years old.

car didnt get on boat again.. that makes it 3 boats missed so far

for other ppl whos cars arent getting on, i feel your pain :|

I have to ask........Who is organising the shipping etc for you? I have had minimal issues getting my vehicles onto boats......I sure as hell don't miss THREE boats...come to think of it i have never missed a boat.

Might be time to get stuck into whoever is organising it for you......seems a little excessive to me.

Prestige and his supplier Mark Schuuman are organising it, and i am on Risbey's case but its always the same thing 'supplier didnt get enough spots allocated' 'your car was booked but didnt make it'

3 boats/3 months is very excessive, i asked if i could sell it and he said it was too late as its on the wharf.

Sprinta: I am sure Geoff is doing everything he can. I have been in contact with another supplier (on an unrelated matter) and he is having much the same issue and it appears to be totally random as to what cars make it and what don't.

Fingers crossed. Things should improve soon I expect.

LW.

Riverside: I think you will find that the reason that you have no trouble is because you live in queensland. You guys are lucky cause kiwi stop off in brissie, but no other port in australia. So most major car manufactures would use other shipping lines to bring in their cars,Companies that ship to all ports in australia. And all the people that are having problems with shipping are from cities in other states. Toyota(or whoever it is) is getting preference at the moment in shipping cars to australia and because kiwi only go to brisbane and NZ they would not be as full.

I'm importing with geoff too, and i bought my car in january this year and it was due for import in october, but kept missing the boat. I have been totaly happy with his service and relise it is not his fault and is an industry wide problem. Most people outside of brisbane are having probs getting their car

guess i am in QLD and got mine relatively more efficiently.. same supplier though mentioned above..

even my old man is waiting on a brand new car "on a boat" from toyota.. pushing all your cars off.. great for him I guess. His car actually got shifted forward.. Kind of opposite to the older cars..