SAU Community

Waiting For A Car? - The State Of Importing Cars From Japan ATM

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got this from ben @ jspec today regarding my car which was approved 15th dec.

"The next Kiwi ship has still not actually been added to the schedule although we expect it soon (I was told by someone at Kiwi that they were aiming for mid Jan) so the car has not had a place secured for it, however as soon as the schedule is announced we will book it."

So for the people who have recieved there GTRs, How are they?

I can only think of Lucien right now but there must be others. any pics by the way lw?

cheers

mark

(PS, just to be a pain, as it is now the new year, somebody was saying something about 15% less to pay now? is that still true? it would make the wait so much more worth it)

midnight: It got scheduled today. 19th of Jan.. They updated the schedule at about 10pm this evening. I'm on it :)

3 days and no email yet, I think I have to wait for a different ship as my car is in the sapporo port...

hey guys, have DOTARS realeased the finer details of the 15yr rule yet? I'm beggining to think that it might be easier to import through SEVS, hopefully the demand for imports will drop (from japan) and i might get myself a car cheaper.... but who knows...

Nothing has been announced publicly yet. They are warning against buying 1990 models (for import under 15year rule). I check the following site frequently for updates.

http://www.dotars.gov.au/transreg/vsb/vsb_10.htm

Depending on how much a RAW will charge you I can't see how it could be cheaper under SEVS?? I paid 825,00 for a grade 4 1990 R32 GTR, how cheap do you want?

thanks john :)

I can't say that i fully understand the 15yr rule changes that have been announced, i thought that only pre 89 cars would be allowed in? I want to import an r32gtst.....

from what i can gather, i won't be able to imprort a car through j-spec or prestige anymore, because it has to go through raws or somehting?? so confused lol *scratches head*

15 year rule is exactly that.. Cars 15 years or earlier may be imported and require an engineers rather than a full compliance system (SEVS) which is for vehicles that are newer than 15 years old. Its still in place, even though many haved predicted it would be abolished nearly every month for the last 6 months

So now its 2005, 1990 cars are eligible, for every month that comes up. E.g. a Feburary 1990 car can be imported from February this year. Of course earlier cars (all of 1989) can be imported under this rule.

Depending on how much a RAW will charge you I can't see how it could be cheaper under SEVS?? I paid 825,00 for a grade 4 1990 R32 GTR, how cheap do you want?

Hi Jon. This car isn't grade 4, but it is interesting for price comparison purposes:

http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=1657

Apparently that's around the price that most old GTR's were prior to the 15 year rule encompassing R32's here and in Canada.

IMO any savings to be had by buying an R32 that is not 'in-demand' would be lost after SEVS compliance costs - particularly so as there are so few R32 RAWS available. But that said, if it's the same price for a 1989 model and a 1994 model, I know what I'd prefer.

Mark

That's pretty cheap alright, what grade is it? Probably A with the accident history, depending on how minor. I wonder if a September 1990 will still be that cheap in September 2005 (providing the 15yr rule stays the same). I would expect them to go up.

I'd like to know how many of the r32 gtrs that are sold at auction come here with respect to the rest of the world.

predator, so dotars have told us what IS going to happen, but they haven't actually put it into place yet??- i thought they said as of january the 1st.... Hmmmmmm maybe i might just get lucky...

But when they do put it into place.... isn't it the pre-89 cars only??