SAU Community

Waiting For A Car? - The State Of Importing Cars From Japan ATM

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As it turns out my car was caught up in customs.. which is why its been sitting there since December. I'm told its cleared and good to go now, so it should be here in 4 weeks :(

Ouch. If that's where mine was stuck (I think it was) It's gonna cost ya - It cost me $380 for 4 (or so) days

As it turns out my car was caught up in customs.. which is why its been sitting there since December. I'm told its cleared and good to go now, so it should be here in 4 weeks :(

customs in japan? eh?

Havn't added anything to this thread for a bit, just thought i'd say mine has landed and is being complied as we speak. All gauges, boost controller, computer etc are still in the car, nothing missing and she's straight as an arrow!

PHEW! :rant:

blacky

Blacky, who did you use as your customs agent? Apparently my supplier - Mark Schuman is withholding the Bill of Lading which is preventing my customs agent from completely the paperwork and being able to get my car out of freo. Stupid idiots, I want to punch someone for there laziness and stupidity. Just plain...... frustrating.

Prestige recommends Mark Schuman as he supplyies a lot of his cars, so he should chase it up if you used him.

I really hope he chases it up soon because its frustrating the hell out of me and considering Prestige recommends a lot of his cars, I am hoping that it is done a lot sooner than later.

When i was at the pits/vehicle examination an importer was there at the same time as me, he personally knows Mark Schuuman (has met him in japan etc) and apparently owes the guy i spoke to money for parts he bought and seriously does not care about after sales. He works from home so all he needs to do is fax a document and be done with it.

Anyways im not getting involved just saying what i heard :cheers:

When i was at the pits/vehicle examination an importer was there at the same time as me, he personally knows Mark Schuuman (has met him in japan etc) and apparently owes the guy i spoke to money for parts he bought and seriously does not care about after sales. He works from home so all he needs to do is fax a document and be done with it.  

Anyways im not getting involved just saying what i heard :cheers:

Same story different person telling it, is he a english teacher who does it on weekends,

Not to my understanding, he just buys for him off Yahoo and so on,

Like www.kobecars.com look at the stock and you will reconise the shots from the spammed email, reason why this one only attends one auction on a Staurday he teaches English during the week.

Hey Scott, to answer your question I am using Intergroup Shipping out of Melville. Its my second car through them and they have provided a pretty good service all round. No hiccups or delays this time, from roll off to tow truck in less than a week if i remember right. last car took longer but was still good.

Thinking about your Mark Schuman problem - to me, this guys name has cropped up a few times in a negative light. Did you choose to go through him yourself, or did it just happen to be him that supplied to your importer??

perhaps a harsh email/fax is in order?

blacky

Yeah, Mark Schuman supplies a lot of vehicles to particulary Prestige Motorsport (who I am going through). The car I bought was actually previously at an auction. I was actually outbidded (i think) and then the car was sold to me through Mark Schuman. I have been pretty sceptical about this matter but have kept really positive.

As this is my first import, I just used everyone that was recommended to me, next time round will be a lot different. Also I was mislead in how long it actually took an import to be bought to the time when it is in Australia and registered. It has been a long and hard process, but the selection and the money you save makes it more than worth while. I just wished people would live up to there expectations, especially when you pay them lots of money and then they don't give you good customer service.

I was actually outbidded (i think) and then the car was sold to me through Mark Schuman. I have been pretty sceptical about this matter but have kept really positive.

So you asked somebody to bid for you but you lost, then one of his "suppliers" offers you the car.

I can tell somebody to buy a car 10 yen more then a customers budget then sell it to him for a pumped up amount.

How much more did it end up costing you in Japan than your inital bid.

It is a learning experience as you say as long as you pass on what you learn,

Same story different person telling it, is he a english teacher who does it on weekends,

yes, mark is an english teacher in Japan who started exporting cars and parts for people in Aus (the most well known of which is Geoff from PM) in his spare time.

He has been doing it for quite a few years now. Yes, he does source cars from yahoo as well as auction and i think from dealers too. from what I've seen mark is not a bad guy. Only thing to beware of is that he lives in Sapporo. Sapporo is up north. the northern part of japan gets a fair whack of snow. snow=rust. of course he does source cars from other parts of japan too.

As it turns out my car was caught up in customs.. which is why its been sitting there since December. I'm told its cleared and good to go now, so it should be here in 4 weeks :)

pentae, I still don't understand this. what customs process took 3 months in japan? very dubious on that one.

Thinking about your Mark Schuman problem - to me, this guys name has cropped up a few times in a negative light. Did you choose to go through him yourself, or did it just happen to be him that supplied to your importer??

perhaps a harsh email/fax is in order?

blacky

When Mark S assured me my car was on a boat on four separate occasions and 13 days after the 4th vessel sailed I had still not received a B/L, I sent a polite yet unambiguous email to Geoff expressing my dissatisfaction with the flow of information from Japan.

Understandably, Geoff backed his supplier and returned fire. Surprisingly, :) the B/L was attached to Geoff's nastygram. It got the job done yet all parties involved were left with bitter tastes in our mouths.

Mark also failed to mention when he stated "the vehicle is mechanically sound and there is hardly a mark on the body" that there was significant corrosion present on the RH sill and the mechanically sound vehicle had an unrepaired transfer case oil leak from long long ago and consequently the ATTESSA warning light was constantly on - not hard to miss...

Oh yeah, and there is hardly a mark on the body because the vehicle has had a colour change back to grey from white.

Grrrr.

[/RANT]