SAU Community

Where's the taco sender?

Steg33

My tacho has decided to play around (flickering) and then die on me. Funny thing is, once in a while on a hot day it works again. I've had the instrument cluster out and the wires seem to be fine between there and the ECU. I'm thinking it's the sender for the taco but not real sure where it is? can anyone tell me where this is or any other ideas what this problem could be?

It's on an R33 GTS-T and starting to sh1t me because i don't want to be bouncing it off the rev limiter just to find out when my revs are up.

I did a quick search and this dude had the same problem but to no avail:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...&highlight=taco

Any help would be appreciated guys.

I have this problem tooo!!! My tacho likes to sit at 8000rpm even at idle!! every now and then it will change to another setting like 3000rpm or 1200rpm... Sometimes you can catch it moving slowly others it goes instantly fast...

Fixed the taco now the problem with the tacho.

A few others with the same problem but has anyone ever fixed it or worked out the cause?

Still looking for where the sender is too.

The rest of the car runs fine so i guess it should only be a problem with the cluster because if the 'sender' from the motor was screwed then the ECU would have troubles aswell wouldn't it? should be able to get hold of a hand controller fairly soon for the power FC and narrow it down to the cluster if i get a correct reading from the ECU.

yeah.. indeed it is.. but where is the ECU getting that reading? Its obviously somewhere off the engine loom.  

That is the important question..

The ECU is controlling the coilpacks, and it knows how many times it is telling the coils to fire in any given period of time.

It's pin 7 on the ECU.

The ECU is controlling the coilpacks, and it knows how many times it is telling the coils to fire in any given period of time.

It's pin 7 on the ECU.

That's more what i was looking for.

Thanks heaps buddy.

I had exactly the same problem. The tacho output was fried on the stock ECU, which apparently is not that uncommon on the R33. I replaced the ECU and the tacho instantly worked again.

I may be wrong, but I think the ECU works out engine RPM based on the CAS. From there, the ECU fires coils/injectors, and runs the tacho.