SAU Community

[Suggestions/Ideas] - Removing a RB20DET spigot bearing?

Oosh

Hey people,

Basically I'm swapping a stuffed RB20DET out for a good one, the replacement engine is from an automatic, so as many of you'll know (and Rowdy and I were reminded yesterday) the spigot bearing is different to a 5spd.

My question is, does anyone else have experience with removing these little suckers?

The car had a manual conversion previously, and we can see on the old engine where the auto bearing has been ground and squeezed out, we can resort to this but if there's a better way... Rowdy doesn't think any of the pullers from his work are up to the task either.

Ideas/Suggestions appreciated.

Cheers.

By far the easiest way is to get your hands on a tube of dry lube and then find a bolt that JUST fits inside the spigot bearing. The bolt shouldn't bind on the spigot bearing at all, just needs to be the biggest one that fits without rubbing on the bearing.

Fill the spigot bearing with the dry lube, then put the bolt inside the spigot bearing and give it a few taps with the hammer.

The dry lube will force the bearing out from behind it as you tap the bolt in.

Works a treat and is soooooo much easier than any other way I've tried.

J

By far the easiest way is to get your hands on a tube of dry lube and then find a bolt that JUST fits inside the spigot bearing.  The bolt shouldn't bind on the spigot bearing at all, just needs to be the biggest one that fits without rubbing on the bearing.

Fill the spigot bearing with the dry lube, then put the bolt inside the spigot bearing and give it a few taps with the hammer.

J

Good one, well definately give it a red-hot go, cheers! :P

Yeah we got impatient, and cut it with the die-grinder, sqeezed it with vice grips and levered it out with a screwdriver. Left a bit of a mark around the hole, but nothing major, cleaned it up ok.

Popped the new bearing in, and the engine in too, got the car started. Would have finished the job but it got too late, will sort out the exhaust, and rest of plumbing/electrics tonight. :)

By far the easiest way is to get your hands on a tube of dry lube and then find a bolt that JUST fits inside the spigot bearing.  The bolt shouldn't bind on the spigot bearing at all, just needs to be the biggest one that fits without rubbing on the bearing.

J

This is what we do if we can't be bothered walking out the back to get the spiggot bearing puller...hehe lazy mechanics.

But try doing this on a S4 or S5 RX7 13Bturbo....aint happenin.

This will work on about 90% of spiggot bearings and you usually have to give them a decent bash, not just a tap.

But good work, your method is correct.

• 1 month later...

I've always used a grease gun.. :P

Generally I use a socket and extension bar that fits nice and snug, depends on the size. The Auto RB30E bush is quite large and requires around a 14mm socket to fit nice and snug, others i've used a bolt.

• 1 year later...

Ok.. I have to give this a try.. never done it before.

I'm reading this, but not sure that I quite understand the process going on.. So you basically pack it with the dry lube, then get a socket or bolt that fits just inside, then tap it. But if you are tapping it in, how does it pop out?

Sorry, just don't quite get it. So the dry lube has nowhere to go, it shoves out the bush? is that how it works?

Where do I get this dry lube stuff? Repco, supercheap?

I've got a photo here, so people can see what we're talking about..

This is an RB25, but same spigot bush I believe.

post-1332-1140681122.jpg

Looks to have had an auto behind it previously? as the one in there seems a bit too skinny... whereas the new one I have, fits just perfectly over the manual gearbox's input shaft.

post-1332-1140681139.jpg

My own experiences as follows. I have a series 2 R33 RB25DET which in a previous life had an auto strapped to the back and the auto spigot protruded out the front of the crank as shown in the attached photo. As the internal end of the spigot was flush with the crank recess the use of a bearing puller and packed grease had absolutely no effect.

Reluctantly and as a very LAST resort I welded a nut to the protruding part of the spigot and wound a bolt into the end of the crank and popped it out. For manual spigots packing grease into the end of the crank and using a 14mm socket works a treat.

Cheers

post-16836-1140685896.jpg

post-16836-1140685969.jpg

post-16836-1140686072.jpg

predator, just use any old grease you have lying around ie in a grease gun type grease.

pack it into the end of the crankshaft (in the centre of photo 1) then use a socket extension with a 14mm socket on the end, or whatever is a snug fit down the end where u just packed grease into.

Cubes popped mine out in 3 taps :domokun: The grease gets at the bush from behind, and popps it forward, ie out. Then clean it out, and tap in the new.

Ok..well got it out..

Just used normal rubber/packing grease. Makes a damn mess, but eventually it will come out.

You might have to pack a fair bit in, shove the socket in the end, and then pack some more in, etc. Then I just gave it a few brutal taps with the hammer.

post-1332-1140923915.jpg

post-1332-1140923958.jpg

post-1332-1140930868.jpg

I just use an intermediate tap and start tappin the bush until it it goes right through and then as its winding through the thread it pushes against the back of crank and pushes the bush out. No mess and no fuss. You just need to make sure you got a wide range of taps to suit different size spigots bushes.

Sometimes if your lucky you dont even need to tap all the way through, it will bite and spin after a few turns and you can then pull it out. That actually happened last time we changed the clutch in the race car. Took next to no time. Lucky.

Edited by r33_racer

• 5 months later...

The JapGenius who did the auto to manual conversion on my car mearly smashed the auto spigot in further. I have tried to press it out using the grease method but to no avail. Is there going to be any issues leaving it in but drilling it out so that I can put the manual spigot into the crank thru it?

Thanks!

JK

• 4 years later...

Just removed the spigot bearing on my old 4wd Hilux using the trusted fill-her-with-grease-and-tap-it method and it worked perfectly.

Only came out a little bit at a time so I just kept filling the space behind the bearing with grease and kept tapping the bolt with the hammer.

Now that I'm an expert I might try it on my RB20 sometime lol

Ok.. I have to give this a try.. never done it before.

I'm reading this, but not sure that I quite understand the process going on.. So you basically pack it with the dry lube, then get a socket or bolt that fits just inside, then tap it. But if you are tapping it in, how does it pop out?

Sorry, just don't quite get it. So the dry lube has nowhere to go, it shoves out the bush? is that how it works?

Where do I get this dry lube stuff? Repco, supercheap?

I've got a photo here, so people can see what we're talking about..

This is an RB25, but same spigot bush I believe.

post-1332-1140681122.jpg

Looks to have had an auto behind it previously? as the one in there seems a bit too skinny... whereas the new one I have, fits just perfectly over the manual gearbox's input shaft.

post-1332-1140681139.jpg

thats a manual spigot bearing, just use a sharp thin flat head beating it with a hammer to make it curl up

link to the auto spigot bearing remover ??

the grease method works awesome except without using grease. go to a toy store or art supply store and buy some cheap plasticine (plastercene?.. i dont know how to spell it lol) its basically like playdough. that stuff works awesome, shove a bit in the whole then get a screw that takes up the diameter of the hole (but it cant touch the sides) and hammer it home, the bearing should come clean out

Yeah people use all kinds of weird stuff - even heard about a guy on the 300zx forum using wet bread

like WTF

surely random other shit will work but why not just use grease - id heaps rather have grease over the flywheel etc after im done and just give it a quick wipe than some of the other random stuff :banana: