SAU Community

Slow Blitz Bov?

uk_skyman

My O.E.M. blow off valve started to leak after a t4 turbo install and 1.2 bar of AVCR boost , no wonder realy :(

Ive fitted a Blitz Blow off valve (to atmosphere) blanked off the recirc and removed the O.E.M valve.

Question.

Is the blitz valve supposed to be slower at reacting to the waste gate being closed?

Mine seems quite slow in comparison to the O.E.M one, as this when not atached to the recirc pipe, realy is an open/closed blow off, almost like a switch on or off.

This blitz is a bit slugish realy, ive wd40'd it and its all nice and smooth, this is making the blades in the turbo chop a bit, untill the valve is open and then its not fully open unless its realy getting some stick.

Any ideas, is this ok? normal?

Thanks Dean

Hello mr skyman.I am running a blitz supersound bov with a backing plate blocking off the stock bov but have left the origional vaccum hoses running to the plenum for a more stock look.Ive never touched it and it comes on when boost is produced.

What i can tell you is the little adjustment nut on top of the bov will controll how tight the bov spring is,ie.It will be harder to open under the given pressure and will probably not be as quick to react to the lower rpm/boost.But if it were loose it will more than likely come on earlier on in the rpm/boost stage.This is more than likely your problem unless you have checked that when in that case then it may be that the bov itself is stuffed.

The wastegate has nothing to do with the bov's operation.The watsegate will open only to bypass excess exhaust pressure past the exhaust turbine.

Bov Operation Explained

When the compressor creates positive pressure,rushing all the air towards the plenum,the bov acts as a pressue relief valve for the system.

So when the butterfly slams shut and there is still positive pressure from the compressor being forced towards the plenum the bov relives the pipes of unwanted pressure.

And this is also why when the butterfly is open,there is air being rushed into the engine and the bov is opening without the butterfly being shut so as not to over force air into the engine,that the bov still should open without it being entirely closed reliving the system of what the engine cannot take.

Hope this helps...Dont fully quote me on this dude but i am pretty sure that my explanation is right.

Thanks Chaps,

I've got the spring as loose as it can be, and it does lift a little when the gate is closed after light boosting and a little more when revved hard, so it seams to work ok, but im more worried about damaging my brand new turbo, the O.E.M valve even though it leaks is so fast at letting the pressure out that i get no flutter at all?? as you know they are just a spring and plunger inside and a few vac pipes off the top simplicity to the max so, just a few more squirts of wd40 to get it running smoother i guess.

Thanks again for the reasurance Dean